Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM

353 posts, read 1,363,000 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I read about a recent shooting with a 9mm handgun that hurt security and visitors in a "members only" club in downtown Chapel Hill. The club is called Visions Nite Club, at 136 E. Rosemary Stand. Police have been called to Visions, a members-only club, 30 times since January for complaints ranging from assault to trespassing to drunken and disruptive conduct. The club replaced another nightclub, Chi Hi, which had its liquor license removed after a number of shootings outside the club. The police have leads that it is gang related. The article was in wral.com:

Police: Chapel Hill Nightclub Shooting May Be Gang-Related :: WRAL.com

This is shocking to me. My husband was a police officer in what is considered a not so great city in our area (NY metro) and they would have closed a club down if there were even a few (3 or 4 ) incidents. What is happening? Can someone explain why the police are so lenient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,676,172 times
The club gets closed down, and then opens under a new name or new management. Any time there seems to be a club that opens up playing a majority of Hip-Hop music, it unfortunately attracts the wrong kind of crowd.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM

823 posts, read 3,910,162 times
There is more about the story in the Chapel Hill News. 6 people were shot during a birthday party. The owners have decided to close the club because they feel they can't insure the safety there. The place sounds maybe too big. It can hold ~500 people. According to the News article, there were 18 security guards and 6 off duty police when the shooting occured.

Are you aware of the shootings after the annual street fair, "Apple Chill" in Chapel Hill several years ago? The festival was discontinued after that. Gangs are a problem in Durham and it often spills over to Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill probably also has gang members but it's usually less obvious.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
There is more about the story in the Chapel Hill News. 6 people were shot during a birthday party. The owners have decided to close the club because they feel they can't insure the safety there. The place sounds maybe too big. It can hold ~500 people. According to the News article, there were 18 security guards and 6 off duty police when the shooting occured.

Are you aware of the shootings after the annual street fair, "Apple Chill" in Chapel Hill several years ago? The festival was discontinued after that. Gangs are a problem in Durham and it often spills over to Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill probably also has gang members but it's usually less obvious.
I was not aware of a gang issue. I hear so many good things about Chapel Hill and nothing about gangs. We are considering moving there - is it an issue? How good are the police about handling it?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM

3,286 posts, read 8,520,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Hi,
I read about a recent shooting with a 9mm handgun that hurt security and visitors in a "members only" club in downtown Chapel Hill. The club is called Visions Nite Club, at 136 E. Rosemary Stand. Police have been called to Visions, a members-only club, 30 times since January for complaints ranging from assault to trespassing to drunken and disruptive conduct. The club replaced another nightclub, Chi Hi, which had its liquor license removed after a number of shootings outside the club. The police have leads that it is gang related. The article was in wral.com:

Police: Chapel Hill Nightclub Shooting May Be Gang-Related :: WRAL.com

This is shocking to me. My husband was a police officer in what is considered a not so great city in our area (NY metro) and they would have closed a club down if there were even a few (3 or 4 ) incidents. What is happening? Can someone explain why the police are so lenient?

I don't believe this has anything to do with the Police. As far as a know (and I used to be a Police officer) the Police do not have the power do "shut down" a club. I do agree that it probably should be shut down, but that is probably up to the city/town council.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,029,142 times
I get the impression from friends who live in the area that drugs are the issue. Chapel Hill is a university town, afterall, & where you find college students, you will find drugs. On the whole, I still think Chapel Hill is a beautiful, lovely town with a lot going for it. I've always felt perfectly safe every time I've been there. My biggest problem has been finding a parking space on Franklin Street. Is the town perfect? No. But no place is.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM

823 posts, read 3,910,162 times
You are probably right, drugs are probably the biggest problem. Unfortunately, drug dealers and their associates often carry weapons. According to the News article, the police did not shut down the club; the owners voluntarily did. I'd say the drug problem is much bigger in Chapel Hill then the gang problem but they both exist.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't believe this has anything to do with the Police. As far as a know (and I used to be a Police officer) the Police do not have the power do "shut down" a club. I do agree that it probably should be shut down, but that is probably up to the city/town council.
Why wouldn't the citizens put pressure on the city/town to not have clubs there? You have bigger cities nearby for people to go to clubs etc. I am just wondering why there was a club closed for similar problems and they allow another club to open? You are right - the police don't have the power to close a club - but the city does. I question how involved the citizens are?
Additonally, the comment about my husband was that when they were dealing with a club that was having problems - the police made it extremely tough on the club- constantly stopping by - checking ID's etc., arresting drunk drivers coming out. If they want - they can make that club owner's life miserable. That is one way to help push them out.

Last edited by LisaZ; 10-10-2007 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 38,800 times
Quote:
If they want - they can make that club owner's life miserable. That is one way to help push them out.
Would you really want the police doing this? You're advocating the police harass a legal business to put it out on the streets?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,374,414 times
Mrs Steel,

Whenever we want to go to Franklin Street we usually park in one of the parking lots in Carrboro either near Cat's Cradle or Weaver Street Market and walk to Franklin Street. We are also fortunate enough to be on the T bus route so we can also take the bus if it is running.
Jackie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary