Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Our youngest was due Dec 5th and came on November 29th. We did not travel to visit family _that_ Thanksgiving!
Yeah. I got a pass that year, too.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I listen to Christmas carols year 'round on Pandora.com. It's great music. I never tire of it.

I don't know how to not celebrate Christmas, but I'm going to try to accomplish that. Seriously. I'm holiday'd out. I would like some nice soup and then a good movie on Christmas Day. I'm tired of giving and receiving gifts and decorating. Nobody needs anything. I need a Christmas vacation...as in a vacation from Christmas. I am practicing saying, "Bah, humbug!" -- with feeling.

evaNC, congrats! I was a December baby and was almost named "Holly." I still plan to celebrate my birthday as a national holiday.
You should take one then! Go some place nice for christmas! Last year we traveled to India with the kids on Christmas Day and it was great! Now that my kids are a little older, I'd love to just go somewhere exciting every Christmas! ( and my youngest kid's birthday is Christmas Eve!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Everyone -- how does your family handle the "tug of war" of where to spend Christmas and the sometimes overwhelming gift giving?
This is the one time of year I'm kind of thankful my family is relatively ambivalent about the holidays when it comes to gifts and visiting, etc. Rest of the year I wonder what the heck is wrong with them lol.

Anyway, my parents and his mother live in the Triangle so usually we do Christmas Eve with his mother and Christmas Day with my parents. I can't remember the last time I saw extended family around Christmas since they all still live up in NY/NJ or some have transplanted out to the West Coast. Once the baby is old enough I'm sure we'll do at least one NYC Christmas trip just because it's so beautiful up there that time of year but I can't imagine we'll ever make the trek to WA or CA around the holidays.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I am counting the days to the Holiday Jo Jo cookies at Trader Joe's.
Is it bad I was disappointed when I went there last night and they didn't have them out yet haha. But they do have their awesome cream of mushroom soup and cornbread stuffing back!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think soup and a movie sounds fine! Sure all the hoopla sounds like fun but standing on your feet cooking for 2 or 3 days straight, dirtying every dish in the house, over spending and over eating and the accompanying stress get to be a bit much for some folks, especially if you are considered a "senior". Only 3 of 4 children will be here for Christmas and we plan to tone it down quite a bit this year. But I say that every year!
It's funny because my mother never made a big Christmas dinner. I think she had her fill of holiday cooking with Thanksgiving. The only "tradition" I can ever recall when it came to Christmas was having eggs benedict for breakfast Christmas morning. Other than that it was just whatever she felt like creating from what was already in the fridge. Sometimes that was soup

I miss when I lived up in NJ, a lot of my friends growing up were Jewish so I could go over to their house for homemade latkes, blintzes, and sufganiyot around Hanukkah time. I don't even know where you could find sufganiyot around here. The Dunkin Donut jelly doughnuts just don't compare lol.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
I really like the soup idea as well. I love soup (and smoothies, depending on the season). If I could drink all my meals, I would. What about a soup bar to serve guests? A bunch of different kinds of homemade soups in crockpots? Potato soup, broccoli cheese, pumpkin or squash soup, chowders, noodle soups, etc. Sounds delicious! Soups can be prepared well in advance and frozen. Only defrost what you need and have a season of homemade soups in the freezer. And if you're defrosting soup for a meal, it's pretty easy to make a quick loaf of homemade bread to go with it.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
You soup people are killing me!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_raleigh_guy View Post
you soup people are killing me!
no soup for you!!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You soup people are killing me!

If we ever have city-data soup gathering, we won't invite you.

I bet you'll be thinking of our hot soup when you're playing your trombone and fingers are so cold you can't move them. Nice warm soup, a crackling fire...the dog keeping your feet warm.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM

This thread inspired me to go get soup for lunch today haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary