Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM

29 posts, read 55,035 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

As a PA resident (Phila. 'burbs), I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the Wake County school system...but to be honest, judging from a post I wrote the other day, it's sounding a bit bleak regarding the school choice system. So, I was hoping you could all help educate me about what magnet and charter schools are all about.

1) Are they the same as private schools?
2) Do you get to choose your school, or is that based on a choice system as well?
3) Can you give me an example of cost? (We are looking to move possibly to Cary, North Raleigh, Apex area - my job will be near the Capitol building, so I'm hoping to find a commute within 30 mins.)

I've heard good things about Carrboro/Chapel Hill schools, too, but I don't want to commute more than 30 mins. IF I can avoid it. Is that possible?

I am seriously considering not accepting the job offer due to all concerns we have about Wake schools and are trying to see what alternatives there may be. We were so impressed with the area itself and the people (!!!), but it's hard because we are fortunate to be in such a great school system here. You know exactly where your child will go to school, K-12, based on your neighborhood - very simple! Our son, who is only 3, still has awhile before starting school (here it's 6 years old, which I like since he needs the extra year, I think, to mature...), but he is very shy and I'm not sure changing schools all the time would be beneficial for him in the long run. We are desperately trying to decide what to do and the new employer wants an answer from me ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,795,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick001 View Post
So, I was hoping you could all help educate me about what magnet and charter schools are all about.

1) Are they the same as private schools?
2) Do you get to choose your school, or is that based on a choice system as well?
Both magnet and charter schools are public schools, but admission is competitive. Here's a good discussion: Magnet Schools vs. Charter Schools: What

Re: commuting from Chapel Hill to the Capitol Building in Raleigh, it's more like 28 miles, and 42 minutes (without traffic!) per the estimates on Google maps. It might be worth it for your child's school experience.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM

65 posts, read 139,156 times
I just moved here from Texas two weeks ago (also had neighborhood schools) but they are working back toward that "base school" type model (while also "grandfathering in current students" so kids can stay where they like if they're happy)

We just happened to get into a magnet elementary here and couldn't be happier. While the choice vs. neighborhood schools issue is a big discussion right now, I wouldn't let it scare you off. I felt VERY uneasy moving into it too, but once you are here and can stay informed, you will feel better.

Check out Wake County Public School System for information about school assignments- they are going back to the "base school" assignments from 2011 but you will still be able to "choose" from those either a year-round or traditional schedule (or stay where you are now if you like it) AND applications for magnet schools, etc. begin this winter.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM

826 posts, read 1,925,832 times
Personally, I think you are over-thinking it. The Wake Co school system is overall very good. It had a great reputation not that long ago and academically still does, it's the upheaval in the assignment system that is the issue. If your little one is NOT in school yet, you probably won't be subject to that much reassignment if you choose where you live carefully (by this I mean that if you CHOOSE to live in a rapidly growing area of the Triangle, you will likely be subject to reassignment as they build more schools. Or live in an area that has had stable assignments for years). Yes, there are some vocal folks on here that have not had great experiences and think things can be done better. But there are just as many (or more) who have had great experiences covering a LOT of schools throughout the Wake system. If you like the area, people, and the job scenario is good, then I wouldn't let the school part hold you back. If schools are your highest priority then by all means, move to Chapel Hill and go to the schools there. Ultimately it will be fine. People are kind of annoyed and want all the changes to stop but people are not leaving the area in droves because the school system has suddenly tanked. You will find the right place for your son somewhere in the Wake Co., whether it be private, charter, or public.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM

90 posts, read 266,415 times
I agree. Our child is now in K and we went through the Choice process last year when it was surrounded by much confusion. We always felt that Wake County did a good job of communicating to the parents and as long as the parents kept on top of things, there were no surprises. Even with Choice, as long as you get your child registered on time and are here when the process begins (Jan/Feb), you will get into your school of choice, especially if that school is also close to your home.
I understand that there are a vocal few who have had problems, but if you listen and drill into the actual issue, its because they generally missed the deadline or some such reason.
From all your posts, it appears that you would be among the parents who stay on top of things and your child should be just fine!
Good luck with everything! We moved here four years ago from CA and couldn't be happier

Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 11,897 times
Ahhh.....the decision of where to live and what school that buys you! Everyone's quandary when coming to Wake County. Basically, rest assured the schools are excellent, no matter where you live or end up in the county. That said, the thing you need to know is that, pretty much no matter where you live, at the moment, you may not end up attending the school that currently is tied to your new home. I moved here seven years ago and made what has turned out to be a great decision, and that was to live "inside the beltline" (in the older part of Raleigh, inside the circle created by I-440). Because these areas are older, they already, for the most part, have an established, stable population pattern, meaning kids have not, traditionally, been shifted much to new schools as a result of population explosion/overcrowding. That said, the magnet school "themes" do change, and "feeder" patterns to certain schools have been constantly shifting. In answer to your question--Magnet schools and charter schools differ in several ways, but both are non-tuition, publicly funded schools. Magnets are simply traditional public schools that have a theme tied to their curriculum, and you apply to attend that school. Charter schools also receive public monies (but I believe are also privately funded--not sure), and have oversight at the state level, but are operated (usually) by a board consisting of educators, parents, private entities etc. Charter schools must meet all state mandated educational goals with their curriculum, but aside from that have fairly broad freedoms to offer innovative or focused educational programming. So they are very, very similar to magnets, but are not operated by the local school board so have the ability and freedom to change their curriculum, schedule etc quite easily. So in Wake County, you have three public education options: Magnet, Charter, or traditional public schools. When looking for where to live, if you already have school-age children, look at the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) website, and decide which schools might be best for your children. Call the school, do your research and talk to parents. Figure out which geographic areas are tied to the school of your choice currently, if any, and seek housing there if possible. Unfortunately, if you are moving here soon, it is hard to determine future options, as the system is in great flux, but once your kids are in a certain school, hopefully, they will be stable and not be shifted. Again, living in an older, already built area, may help with that. Also, if moving here soon, and you are interested in magnet or charter schools, don't forget that the deadlines for applying are the previous year. Deadlines are shown on the WCPSS website and on school websites. Home prices vary greatly here, so can't really advise on that, though personally, with a commute downtown I think North Raleigh or parts of Cary offer the best balance between home price and commute time. Areas near downtown are higher priced, and mostly older era homes. Many beautiful, historic neighborhoods near downtown Raleigh. Good Luck! This is a great place to live, especially for families!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 55,035 times
Thanks so much everyone - this is great to know. I am worried because our little guy has some special needs, so we're a bit concerned taking him away from a great school here in PA and I don't think he'd fare well with a long bus ride (over 45 mins). A lot can change in two years (since he's only three now), but it weighs heavily on our minds (and hearts).

Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM

65 posts, read 139,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick001 View Post
Thanks so much everyone - this is great to know. I am worried because our little guy has some special needs, so we're a bit concerned taking him away from a great school here in PA and I don't think he'd fare well with a long bus ride (over 45 mins). A lot can change in two years (since he's only three now), but it weighs heavily on our minds (and hearts).
I taught a special needs preschool class in Texas, so I've got to jump in and say- good for you for checking this out early and be sure to look for early intervention programs that be available for your little guy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary