Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM

120 posts, read 296,428 times

Advertisements

Hello. We're looking to replace our old single pain windows. Any recommendations? Definitely want screens and windows that will save energy & get us a rebate when we do our tax return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM

82 posts, read 148,395 times
I don't have a window replacement firm recommendation, but for best return on investment in terms of money spent/energy savings, consider storm windows. If your house is energy inefficient the most effective thing to do is get an energy audit and follow through with their recommendations. Windows make a difference, but are really expensive for the energy savings. There are cheaper things you can do to save more energy.
Of course, if you hate your windows or they're in disrepair that's another reason to replace them, but to save energy it's often not the best choice.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM

273 posts, read 562,596 times
I replaced all my windows back in May of this year. I went with Kingsford Vinyl siding as they were the only ones who sold the windows that i wanted. They are Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows. I replaced 11 for around $4800 installed and wrapped with the Solar 70 double pane argon filled gas. I love the windows and have noticed a marked improvement in noise reduction and the house holds a better overall temperature. I did add attic insulation and air sealed which i am sure helped as well. We had single pane windows that were starting to fall apart, were drafty and some failed to open or stay open. I found Kingsford to be easy to work with and the installers knowledgeable(good installer is the key and they did not sub out the work). I got quotes from Window World, Pioneer Exteriors, Aluminum Company of NC and Kelly Window and Door. A good resource i found for window info was the forum over at Vinyl Replacement Windows - Discussion Board, Reviews & Ratings

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
I replaced the terrible windows in my house just over two years ago and I saw a immediate drop in my utility bills - especially in the summer due to the Low-E glass and all the afternoon sun the front of my house went with. I went with Simonton windows and after the various rebates and tax credits it wasn't bad at all. It's also great to have windows that you can open and close easily. I'd recommend my installer (an independent contractor) but he isn't around any more. I briefly considered storm windows, but since my existing windows were so crummy I didn't want to throw good money after bad.

Good luck with your project!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
I replaced a couple of problem windows and liked them so much I decided to go ahead and replace the rest. Window World was the company I used. I was extremely satisfied with the whole process. That was about 5 years ago now and I haven't had one issue with them. When I think back at how difficult it was just to clean the old windows and how easy it is now I regret not doing it sooner.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
I had Pioneer Exteriors install my Gorell windows. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 PM

141 posts, read 288,425 times
I had Hughes Wind Shields installed over my windows. Home is quieter, electric bill went waaay down and since they are FBC approved as hurricane protection, I can get a discount on my homeowners.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I tried Window World. They replaced three big side by side single pane energy wasters in the living room. The price was right and I couldn't have done a better job myself of putting them in

Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
I replaced a couple of problem windows and liked them so much I decided to go ahead and replace the rest. Window World was the company I used. I was extremely satisfied with the whole process. That was about 5 years ago now and I haven't had one issue with them. When I think back at how difficult it was just to clean the old windows and how easy it is now I regret not doing it sooner.

I second that! I had my windows replaced too with window World. Great service, great investment . It really did save on noise, heat/air loss and utility bills were lower.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 AM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
I haven't used them, but everyone I know recommends Window World for quality and price. It doesn't hurt to talk to a few places. Then schedule them for last and you'll see the price difference. A friend of mine used Sears and they were way expensive. Don't know why she did that.
best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary