Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 PM

138 posts, read 256,573 times

Advertisements

I've had friends (2) that had micro-premies, and they were able to get specialized clothing from online stores. It's worth searching.

If the baby and parents are not local I'd also suggest gift cards or arrangements for meals, or housekeeping help, even if you are not nearby gift cards for meals can be sent and some services can be arranged.

Also, please remember that with such a small baby this is a LONG journey with MANY ups and downs. Just being an understanding ear goes a long way. Also, remember that with the baby in the NICU things are rough, but when the baby comes home it's even rougher.

My son was not a premie but did have NICU time, and when he came home he required a lot more care than the "average" baby, so it's a long long road (a joyous one, but long).

Also, I don't know what your budget is or how you want to help, but if the NICU is open to it it may be nice to arrange for a photographer to take photos of the family with baby in the NICU. I did this for my friend (her baby had to be off the ventilator first) but once her baby was bigger they really appciated having nice photos that reminded them of the eary days, and all they made it thorough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,571 times
the other way to help is with a gas card or some hospitals have gift card type things for the hospital parking (if a fee) and/or the cafeteria/gift shop -- if they are going to be spending time there, those things are a huge help. calling the facility might give you an idea of what can be provided.

also -- baby blanket to lay on - something super soft - and encouragement to breast feed if that is still possible -- they usually have pumps available in the nicu and usually will use stored/frozen milk - that is a great way for Mom to feel like she is contributing to care at this point when there may not be too much hands on. talking, crooning, humming while close is also great to maintain connnection.

congratulations!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Carter's has a store at Brier Creek, according to their website. They used to have an outlet at the Morrisville Outlet Mall, but it closed. I think they and/or Osh Kosh B'gosh have one at the Tanger Outlets in Mebane.

Have you been to Southpoint? They have several kids clothing shops that might or might not have preemie stuff. I'm thinking of Nartjee, Gymboree, Baby Gap, etc and some of the big dept stores carry preemie sizes sometimes, too.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM

128 posts, read 217,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
the other way to help is with a gas card or some hospitals have gift card type things for the hospital parking (if a fee) and/or the cafeteria/gift shop -- if they are going to be spending time there, those things are a huge help. calling the facility might give you an idea of what can be provided.

also -- baby blanket to lay on - something super soft - and encouragement to breast feed if that is still possible -- they usually have pumps available in the nicu and usually will use stored/frozen milk - that is a great way for Mom to feel like she is contributing to care at this point when there may not be too much hands on. talking, crooning, humming while close is also great to maintain connnection.

congratulations!

Congratulations on the precious little one! I think the above are great ideas. I had preemie twins myself and the clothes doesn't fit for long at all so I would go with the soft blankets, hats and socks. At such a difficult and exhausting time the support of family and friends is heartwarming and life saving.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM

108 posts, read 347,568 times
Congratulations! I love doing meals for friends when they have babies. For out of town friends, I generally send entrees from Omaha Steaks or Schwans since they can pull them out of the freezer when they need them. Another great gift for a new mom is a gift certificate/voucher to a cleaning service. Hope that helps!

Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM

65 posts, read 105,245 times
Before buying any clothes, I would check with the hospital requirements. It was a long time before my preemie twins were able to wear clothes. And, once they were, there were several requirements for the clothes (snaps, no zippers). Meals and gift cards to hospital area restaurants could also be helps. A nice journal to document the NICU information and milestones would also be great. I love having all that info.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,192 times
I can't tell y'all how informative this is. Thanks so much for continuing to share your thoughts/ experiences.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,425 times
My nephew was born a micro preemie. I would recommend buying something besides clothes. They don't need that much and so many people bought them for him. Most went unused. A gift card to Carter's, Baby Gap, Target or wherever would be able to be used at a later date for something they definitely need/want. If you want to buy blankets our favorite ones0 were Aden & Anais. My daughter is almost 2 and we still use one every day.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,192 times
I'm not familiar with that brand, mocha'. Where would I find those?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Well, they live out of town, so there isn't much I can do on that front.
You did say "chores to offer" in your OP.

How about paying for a cleaning service for a month or sending some meals? Trust me they aren't going to be focused on cooking. ANd they are going to want their house to be clean with a micropreemie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary