Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM

178 posts, read 583,365 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear some opinions from you guys. A lot of transplants that I have talked to are from the mid-atlantic philly/dc/new york areas etc....And I want to hear about some people who live in Durham who are from the FAR NORTH.

I personally find very little in common, as I am now, with the mid-atlantic people....I am from a much more rural area. (That is a common complaint I hear about people from large cities on the East Coast, that it's too rural and not much to do etc.) And the way of life from the far north is much different than the mid areas, imop! We are not into the rushed atmospheres, loads of traffic and angry drivers, rudeness..etc IMOP the people where I am from, do tend to themselves, but they are always looking out for neighbors, lending a helping hand, I have always had someone stop when I have had a flat tire and ask if I need a cell or help etc.

SO if you are from vt, me, nh, ma...please give me your likes, dislikes, opinions on your move to the area, what drew you to it, if you plan on staying, what you think about the people, the weather...you know all the common stuff! Thanks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
I used to live in Middlebury, VT. I think you will like it here! You can find plenty of rural areas to live in here if that's what you are looking for. The winters are not nearly as cold, which is a bonus imo, but the heat and the humidity in the summer do get to me. If you hate commuting, like I do, you'll want to focus your home search near where you will be working. I do miss the lack of traffic we had in Middlebury!!

Last edited by evaofnc; 11-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: d

Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
...if you plan on staying, what you think about... the weather...
Hint: Does your family still have a "grand dad's old cabin" up in the mountains or on the shore?
If so... don't ever sell it. If not, look to get one.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Well, there are plenty of parts of Maryland, PA, and NY that are very rural, so perhaps you mean if you are not from a big Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic City like Boston, NY, Phildadelphia, Baltimore, or DC?

Anyway, to answer your question, my husband is from New Hampshire originally. He loves it here and if he never moved again, I think he'd be happy. He likes the slower pace of life, less traffic, fewer crowds, being near rural areas, etc. He originally came here for college, then did time in DC, only to come back for a job transfer.

(Contrast with: I'm from Philly and 23 years in DC. If I could move back to either one tomorrow, I would.)

Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I have lived in NH in the past and thought that the place was a slice of heaven. Literally fell in love with it. The small villages, spectacular autumn season, feeling of being back in time. There are rural parts here, yes, but they don't have the same flavor as you will see in New England.

Check out Hillsborough, and I think that comes somewhat close.

After being here for over a decade now, I'm not so sure I want to go back to such a cold climate. But every summer here with its unrelenting humidity makes me vow that this is going to be my last summer here. I cannot deal with the long summers, and really would be happier with longer winters instead.

When you live in central NC, it takes about four hours to travel to the mountains, and two, to the ocean. Unlike NH where you can be anywhere you'd like, the coast, white mountains, Vermont, Maine, or into Boston, in less than an hour. That was really a huge plus for me.

best,
toodie

Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM

22 posts, read 34,754 times
I moved here from southern NH in July, so my frame of reference is fairly short. I moved as my job was relocated and I had the option of being unemployed, or moving to NC. In the few months I've been here, these are my thoughts:

1. The people, for the most part, are no different than up north - presumably because most of them are originally from up north.
2. Traffic here is on par with up north, at least the area I came from in NH.
3. Weather is a plus for me as I hate the cold and would gladly sweat as opposed to shiver.
4. It's not really any cheaper, despite all the rumors and promises I heard during my relocation meetings. My grocery bill has gone up compared to NH, and gas is about the same. Electric has gone down, and obviously heat will as well. However, coming from a state with no income tax, the initial NC paycheck was a tough pill to swallow. With regards to homes, from what I've seen you get more for your dollar, but you also get less property. (I'm speaking in generalities as this will obviously vary from town to town) One thing I did notice with the home we're in now - we went from 2100 sq ft in NH to 3100 sq ft in NC and it seems like we actually have less storage space. A lot of the things I had in the basement up north now fill my garage (and closets, attic, etc)
5. The overall 'vibe' here is very different. NH and New England in general is so old by comparison it's hard to articulate a good comparison. Everything here seems new and neat and clean (again, speaking in generalities) compared to NH.
6. The thing I miss most is just my familiarity with the area up north. It's difficult to spend so long in one area and learn it so well, then start over in someplace new. I didn't need GPS to go anywhere in NH, now I use it almost every time I go out. It certainly doesn't feel like 'home' here yet, but I expect that to change over time.

Overall I'm glad to made the move and I think it's the right one for me and my family. As I've spent the majority of my short time here in Cary/Morrisville/Durham, my view is fairly narrow and I've no doubt my experiences would be very different if I were to venture outside these towns for any considerable amount of time.

Just my two cents...

Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I had a client that was relocated here through his company and although he was working at RTP, he preferred Clayton because he got almost one acre. I think the trip to RTP is about 45 minutes and although that is way to long for ME, he chose the land over the commute.

A year later, his parents moved here and then his sister and brother in law...all to Clayton. They love it. They are from Boston and say many of their neighbors are from Mass.

Vicki

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I am originally from Western Massachusetts, but have retired here to the NC Coast mostly because my husband is a native of NC, and likes fishing. What I like is the pleasant spring, fall and winter weather.

What makes me me uncomfortable is the subtle racism of neighbors, the expectation that everyone is a Christian, and the attitude toward guns. I am used to a more diverse and tolerant population. I would consider moving back north if I were alone, as I have more family in Connecticut.

I know that you were asking about the Triangle specifically, but I thought it worth giving my reaction.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Interesting goldenage, where in the Triangle do you live? I can't say I've ever experienced any of that during my time living here, though I do have a few friends who are hunters.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenihan View Post
I moved here from southern NH in July, so my frame of reference is fairly short.

1. The people, for the most part, are no different than up north - presumably because most of them are originally from up north.
2. Traffic here is on par with up north, at least the area I came from in NH.
3. Weather is a plus for me as I hate the cold and would gladly sweat as opposed to shiver.
4. It's not really any cheaper, despite all the rumors and promises I heard during my relocation meetings. My grocery bill has gone up compared to NH, and gas is about the same. Electric has gone down, and obviously heat will as well. However, coming from a state with no income tax, the initial NC paycheck was a tough pill to swallow. With regards to homes, from what I've seen you get more for your dollar, but you also get less property. (I'm speaking in generalities as this will obviously vary from town to town) One thing I did notice with the home we're in now - we went from 2100 sq ft in NH to 3100 sq ft in NC and it seems like we actually have less storage space. A lot of the things I had in the basement up north now fill my garage (and closets, attic, etc)
5. The overall 'vibe' here is very different. NH and New England in general is so old by comparison it's hard to articulate a good comparison. Everything here seems new and neat and clean (again, speaking in generalities) compared to NH.
I agree with EVERYTHING in this post.

I am originally from Dracut, Ma. and moved to Cary when I was 16 years old. I am now 32 years old and you couldn't pay me to move back. I don't miss the snow or the small rural area feel of Dracut. I do fly back to visit old friends and the first thing I notice is how everything in that region is so old (roads, building, homes, schools, etc.). There are so many new buildings/malls/stores/schools/roads/fitness facilites/restaurants the triangle has to offer. You can get spoiled here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary