Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

104 posts, read 271,508 times

Advertisements

We just got a quote for $250 for two men (working for a large landscape firm) to blow and haul away all the leaves from our front yard and to blow all the leaves in our backyard into a natural area. We do have A LOT of leaves on our .5 acre lot in SW Durham, but that seems ridiculous to me. We'd appreciate your thoughts on that quote as well as recommendations for leaf removal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater454 View Post
We just got a quote for $250 for two men (working for a large landscape firm) to blow and haul away all the leaves from our front yard and to blow all the leaves in our backyard into a natural area. We do have A LOT of leaves on our .5 acre lot in SW Durham, but that seems ridiculous to me. We'd appreciate your thoughts on that quote as well as recommendations for leaf removal.
I have a large (0.6 acre) lot and have a similar problem. Recently I read about a Worx brand leaf vac and decided to try it out. About $115 or so from Amazon - make sure to get the one with the metal impeller. Works GREAT - huge time savings in cleaning up. You can vac directly or rake a bit into small piles, then vac.

This has changed my fall cleanup from drudgery into short and fun.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
This is a serious question. Why don't you guys just mulch mow your leaves in? What is the reason for not doing it? I notice *everyone* bags their leaves. Last year I even went around and collected the bagged leaves and dumped them in my yard to mulch them in. Put about 1" of mulched leaves on top...already starting to decompose into nice soil.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This is a serious question. Why don't you guys just mulch mow your leaves in? What is the reason for not doing it? I notice *everyone* bags their leaves. Last year I even went around and collected the bagged leaves and dumped them in my yard to mulch them in. Put about 1" of mulched leaves on top...already starting to decompose into nice soil.
I'm not sure who "you guys" is supposed to be, but all my leaves get recycled on the property back into mulch in all the natural areas or blown into the woods out back. The whole idea of the leaf vac is that it mulches them down and then you simply take the bag out back and empty it into the woods or natural areas. Bagging is ridiculously wasteful and should only be used as a last resort IMO.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I'm not sure who "you guys" is supposed to be, but all my leaves get recycled on the property back into mulch in all the natural areas or blown into the woods out back. The whole idea of the leaf vac is that it mulches them down and then you simply take the bag out back and empty it into the woods or natural areas. Bagging is ridiculously wasteful and should only be used as a last resort IMO.
I'll be honest I assumed you bagged. But the question is for those who do bag them I suppose. I dunno. Just seems like an exercise in redundancy.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'll be honest I assumed you bagged. But the question is for those who do bag them I suppose. I dunno. Just seems like an exercise in redundancy.
Nope - born here, die here. That includes branches and even full trees. Recycled back into the land.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
I use my riding mower with bagger attachment to collect and mulch all the leaves which means grass clippings would be included as well so we have to bag. There's simply too many leaves to recycle them on the property, plus I've read somewhere that mulching too many leaves into the soil isn't good for the grass.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I use my riding mower with bagger attachment to collect and mulch all the leaves which means grass clippings would be included as well so we have to bag. There's simply too many leaves to recycle them on the property, plus I've read somewhere that mulching too many leaves into the soil isn't good for the grass.
That used to be the rule of thumb, but there's been a lot of serious research at Michigan State in particular that has shown that mulching both leaves and grass clippings in place is better for the lawn than bagging, raking, etc.. If you google Crop and Soil Sciences at MSU they have many of their research papers online.

There are some reasons to bag clippings in very specific cases, but the idea that grass clippings cause "thatch" has been completely disproven.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
Quote:
Last year I even went around and collected the bagged leaves and dumped them in my yard to mulch them in.
I thought I was the only one who did that. Love the free fertilizer.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I end up having to clean up the leaves at my place 4 or 5 times from September till around the end of the year. If I waited until they all finished falling, they'd be 2' deep, and impossible to move with a blower. I'm about to go take round 3 with my leaves today! I have an acre, and over 100 trees...and the surrounding land is mostly wooded. Bagging is not an option. Burning is some years though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary