Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,220,415 times

Advertisements

My house was built in 2002 but for the past year whenever I pulled up the satellite images on Google Maps it only showed a vacant lot. A few weeks ago I checked and voila! my house is now in the latest satellite image. I don't know how often google updates their map database, but it sure is nice to be able to show my friends and relatives exactly where my house is in Raleigh! Can you find your house on google maps?

Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,735,293 times
NRG, I just found something very odd! Our neighborhood was built in late 2004-2005. In July Googlemaps satellite showed clay looking roads cut through a forest for our neighborhood. I assume it was taken before roads were laid and lots clear. Well, today it just shows a forest.... no clay roads. They must have gone back to an old photo. And now I understand why the lots on the edge of the neighborhood do not have old established trees. Looks like there was a field or meadow there. So those folks never had trees to work with in the first.

Thanks for the post! I probably would not have rechecked it otherwise!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM

460 posts, read 1,767,079 times
Google maps is cool, but it creeps me OUT. Creepy, creepy!!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 PM

53 posts, read 247,607 times
Default If you pay the subscription, you can pull up "live" maps.

However, if your really cheap, your like the rest of us. Google did a pretty decent job collaborating all the different counties. They still have a lot of work.
Alot of there maps are scaled pretty high. You can't zoom into them. Your almost better off going through your county's gis mapping system. Wake County has IMAPS which has always been great! However, it goes down atleast once a week. They keep up with the zoning pretty often and tax information.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,970,805 times
nope! our new community built 2-3 years ago is still not on the map! When out of state relatives tried pulling it up, all they saw was empty land.

They are convinced I live under a rock.
Literally.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 AM

560 posts, read 2,845,660 times
Not yet here in Youngsville!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,081,603 times
I've found that the satellite images in Mapquest are much more current than in Google Maps. I'm sure that doesn't hold true for all geographies, but I've seen it in both Raleigh and Durham.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM

579 posts, read 2,859,460 times
ok my house is there now but my neighbor's isn't and it points to that vacant lot instead of my actual home as my address. lol weird!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,073,315 times
Wow!!

My part of our street isn't on the map. I just checked the satellite photos tho and before where it was all trees you can see the beginnings of roads and some houses. Pretty neat!!

I'll have to check zillow.com now. It never recognizes my address.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 AM

33 posts, read 59,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I've found that the satellite images in Mapquest are much more current than in Google Maps. I'm sure that doesn't hold true for all geographies, but I've seen it in both Raleigh and Durham.
I actually found the opposite about Mapquest and Google. Well, at least for my development in Clayton. Google had more current maps, plus you could zoom down a lot lower.

Although, if you want to see some of the most current satellite maps, check out www.globexplorer.com. Just put in your address at the top-left. Usually, you have to zoom way down to get the latest map. When you're zoomed out it may show an older map. It lists the date of the maps at the top. The times I used it, it was years ahead of Google (it showed newly built golf courses that Google didn't show). The only problem is that the interface is not anywhere close to as nice as Google's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary