Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 AM

16 posts, read 30,177 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Apex, in the west part near lake jordan within the Chatham County line. We have researched options for Elementary Schools, and it looks like they are rather far, about 20 minutes. Does anybody that lives in the area have any advice? Is there any closer charter or magnet school?

Also, how do you feel about that area in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
You would need to be a resident of Wake County to have access to the Wake County magnet schools. Not sure if Chatham County has a magnet program.

The closest charter schools I know of to Apex are in Morrisville or downtown Raleigh, which would be further than 20 minutes I would think. It's kind of surprising there isn't some sort of charter school in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs by now.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 66,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
You would need to be a resident of Wake County to have access to the Wake County magnet schools. Not sure if Chatham County has a magnet program.

The closest charter schools I know of to Apex are in Morrisville or downtown Raleigh, which would be further than 20 minutes I would think. It's kind of surprising there isn't some sort of charter school in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs by now.

Magnet schools are not close to most people. They are usually built in low income area. Its primary purpose is to bring up the education level in the low income area. But it is open for anyone to apply and it is based on a draw. Children of teachers and sibling of existing students take priority (yes, it is not 100% fair). So I guess Cary has no magnet school because it does not want to be classified as low income area (no one in Cary wants that !!). But please don't expect magnet school is always good for your kids. It also depends on abilities and commitment of the parents and child.

A friend of mine wake up at 6:30am to take school bus for one of the Wake magnet school every day. She spent 3 hours per day on the bus.

I also know another friend who did not get acceptance by UNC even though he got good GPA from one of the very-good magnet school. He is now in a remote rural private university.

I also know a boy from small private Christian/Catholic schools (K to 12th grade) with lower SAT score than the friend above but he got accepted by NCSU, UNC, Emory, and others. He has been in leadership role in student council since high school and he has a lot of out-of-school volunteer/community activities. I guess these are important to the admission. He got full tuition scholarship and is now in 2nd year of college. Three schools accepted him into pharmacy school for this coming fall. His family is not in Wake but in Chatham county.

Personally, I prefer Christian/Catholic schools for kids so they can be taught moral value too. This is important and missing in public schools. Some interview questions are relate to moral and ethic issues.

What I mean is don't just look at the grade and totally rely on the school and teacher. Good university wants well rounded students in these days. Also, some state universities may have quota per county, quota for minority, and also quota for in-state and out-of-state students. I mean there are many factors.

Last edited by iamdavid; 03-12-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary