Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM

147 posts, read 370,331 times

Advertisements

My son has never taken a school bus before. We have always driven him to our school. Moving to Cary and I think we will either end up at Alston Ridge or Mills Park Elementaries. I remember how WILD the school buses were when I was a kid. I remember kids getting teased and their things taken and passed around, "keep away" with a lunch box. I dread this. My child is not assertive, he is small for his grade. this has been on my mind. can anyone share their child's elementary school experience in this regards? does this happen a lot? buses don't have matrons, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My kids haven't had too much trouble with the buses here. THe bus drivers usually seat them in order of their grades - so the little ones are up front.

We had some shenanigans with the 5th graders last year, but that's to be expected with them all congregated in the back of the bus.

This year our elementary and middle school kids are riding together and I haven't heard of any problems. Of course they get picked up at 6:40 a.m. so most of them are probably too tired to cause any trouble.

There is always the potential for issues any place kids are together, whether it's the bus, playground, cafeteria or whatever. So you may have something come up in all your child's school years....but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Thank you Twingles. I have a 4th grader. So he will be towards the back if they are seated by grade. This makes me apprehensive- my other worry is that he will get off at the wrong stop and not know where the heck he is.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
We live in an area close to where you will be. We haven't had any problems on the bus. If your son meets a friend in the neighborhood or in his class he will likely end up sitting with that same person each day which is what my son does. He should be fine.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Your child will likely be on the bus with kids only from his neighborhood. My kids are literally on the bus with kids from about 2 surrounding streets. I wouldn't worry too much. Most kids seem to find it easy to keep to themselves if they so wish. Like pp said he'll find a like-minded kid to sit with and be fine.

I am more than sure that a 4th grader is capable of getting off at the correct stop

Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,932 times
My son has been riding since he was in Kindergarten, first at our base and now going to a magnet and there were no shenanigans on either bus at all. Ms. Lucas is his current driver and she will pull that bus right over and not let anything go on. She'll also not let my son off unless either me, daddy, or grandma is there to pick him up. On the rare occasion I have gotten stuck in traffic and been late, she has called me on my cell. If I was really close she would wait, otherwise she would finish the route and then go back to my stop and wait for me to get there. I can't imagine they are all like this but we have had great luck so far.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Mine have never had bus troubles.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
We've never had any bus problems either. Mine have ridden since K and they are in 9th & 7th now.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM

thanks all. I was worrying that all of the stops would look unfamiliar and he would not recognize our neighborhood (at least in begining)

Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM

83 posts, read 149,648 times
Note that Mills Park is one of the schools that the BOE is considering capping due to overcrowding. Alston Ridge is the overflow school. Just something to keep in mind.

2 kids that have riden the bus for 5 years... no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary