Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

120 posts, read 296,416 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. Southwest will no longer have nonstop flights from RDU to Philly after March 2013. Coming from PA/NJ his really hurts my family. We loved Southwest bc the flights were priced perfectly and we could fly into Philly within an hour!

So my question is what now? Any travel tips to avoid driving and high flight prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 PM

384 posts, read 595,978 times
US Air has about 6 direct flights a day to Philly for about the same price as SW. It will be interesting to see how much they raise the fee when the competition shuts down.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
US Air has about 6 direct flights a day to Philly for about the same price as SW. It will be interesting to see how much they raise the fee when the competition shuts down.
Ugh, I'm totally dreading this.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I've always taken US Air instead of Southwest whenever possible. I do wonder about fare increases. Mine are almost exclusively for business and paid for by my employer, but I do travel there occasionally on my own dime.

Wonder why SW is discontinuing service?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
Southwest is not invincible anymore. High fuel costs make their operating economics look more like the other airlines' operating economics. USAirways played their cards right by dropping PHL fares to the point where neither airline could make money. Southwest eventually saw that USAirways wasn't going to blink, and Southwest decided it could make more money by shifting their aircraft to other routes.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Southwest is not invincible anymore. High fuel costs make their operating economics look more like the other airlines' operating economics. USAirways played their cards right by dropping PHL fares to the point where neither airline could make money. Southwest eventually saw that USAirways wasn't going to blink, and Southwest decided it could make more money by shifting their aircraft to other routes.
Yep. Worth adding there that SW had seen the opportunity to make PHL into a Northeast US focus city but they've cut back lots of routes; I believe PIT and BOS are gone or severely cut back. Lots of places are taking PHL hits on Southwest these days.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
The SW direct to PHL gained a lot from GSK's business travellers after GSK cancelled their private plane shuttle to PHL and after American cancelled their direct to PHL. GSK has a lot less employees now than they did 6 years ago and they're clamping down on budgets so they have a lot less folks taking those flights every day.

Hopefully another airline comes in to give US Airways some competition because without it they are likely to raise rates significantly. Delta seems keen on continuing to grow their presence at RDU so maybe this is a chance for them to send a RJ to PHL and back a couple of times per day.

Last edited by mdp_az; 11-26-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
All my close friends are in Philly. This news makes me

Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM

342 posts, read 751,800 times
Have been flying USAirways between RDU and PHL since relocating here last year. My daughter also uses them . Always a good choice of flights, price is comparable and a good friend of mine has been a mechanic with them for 25 years, now in PHL, so I like to patronize.

As far as airfares go, it does cost money to to run an efficient, safe airline. I know we all want the most for our hard earned dollars, but I hear all the inside stories about the industry, and it is pretty complicated.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
This is really unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary