Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times

Advertisements

When I got a ticket a few years ago, the lawyer I chose (from the mail) had me pay him the total cost, so $218 in your case. His incentive to get the ticket reduced was that he got to keep the non court cost part. Sounds like it isn't much, but I'm guessing it adds up if you are in court doing that all day, every day. It was money well spent. My insurance did go up though.... it almost doubled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitot View Post
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed many times over. I've been reading the threads.

Last night driving back to Raleigh from New Jersey for the holiday, I got a speeding ticket 3 miles from my house on Capital Blvd. The irony of driving 446 miles and THEN getting a ticket. I had been trying to drive conservatively but honestly I probably lost my focus after eleven hours (including 3 hours in gridlocked traffic)

Anyway the officer told me I was doing 60 in a 45. I apologized and explained that I really hadn't seen the sign where the speed limit dropped from 55 to 45. Anyhoo, I have a $218 ticket now.

I don't really see a lot of info on the actual numbers. Can anyone answer these questions?

- I've been reading about the prayer for judgment idea. My understanding is that I'd still have to pay court costs ($188 - the fine itself is only $30), is that correct???

- My license is out of state (Pennsylvania - just moved to Raleigh). I will be getting an NC license next week and I already have NC insurance. Will I be assessed points? The incident happened *in* Wake County

- If I go to court and am able to negotiate a reduction to 9mph over, how much of a fine would I have to pay and how many licence points would they assess?

Thanks!
Leia
A lawyer is unnecessary. Go to the Wake County courthouse at the appropriate time, plead prayer for judgment since it's your first fine in-state.

I did that on my own last year and it was fine. I was doing 60 in a 45 as well (on Aviation Parkway, which I thought was 55). They dropped it to 9mph and the fine ended up getting reduced to $112. It was quick and painless. Although now I have to be careful not to get a ticket for 2 more years. You will get points but it will not affect your insurance if the PFJ holds.

I think a lawyer would be more advisable if you intend to plead innocent and challenge the ticket. PFJ is a type of guilty plea.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM

342 posts, read 872,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
When I got a ticket a few years ago, the lawyer I chose (from the mail) had me pay him the total cost, so $218 in your case. His incentive to get the ticket reduced was that he got to keep the non court cost part. Sounds like it isn't much, but I'm guessing it adds up if you are in court doing that all day, every day. It was money well spent. My insurance did go up though.... it almost doubled.
If your insurance went up, then he didn't do his job. The point is to get it reduced or delayed judgement to avoid Insurance points.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM

342 posts, read 872,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
A lawyer is unnecessary. Go to the Wake County courthouse at the appropriate time, plead prayer for judgment since it's your first fine in-state.

I did that on my own last year and it was fine. I was doing 60 in a 45 as well (on Aviation Parkway, which I thought was 55). They dropped it to 9mph and the fine ended up getting reduced to $112. It was quick and painless. Although now I have to be careful not to get a ticket for 2 more years. You will get points but it will not affect your insurance if the PFJ holds.

I think a lawyer would be more advisable if you intend to plead innocent and challenge the ticket. PFJ is a type of guilty plea.

Best to save the PJC. Get it reduced, take the license points, avoid the insurance points and save the PJC for next time or for something bigger if you ever need it.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM

127 posts, read 356,740 times
I got a ticket in March on Evans Rd in Cary...notorious for speed traps at lunch hour and what do I do....19 over on my way to lunch!
I chose one of the lawyers who sent me info and paid her $300. They all wanted $300 my ticket was in the $250 range total. She went to court three times, the cop never showed so the court had to throw my ticket out. I get no ticket, the lawyer gets to keep the $300.

Also, AAA will reimburse you for expenses for the attorney too, I got $50 back with my basic membership.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM

117 posts, read 284,230 times
You typically don't need a lawyer to get the reduction or PJC in Wake for run of the mill tickets. However, if for some reason you ran into problems, you can ask the DA for a continuance. The way it works is that the DA grants reductions but a Judge grants a PJC. Now if you wanted to avoid the hassle of going downtown to court, parking, etc. - then you might get a lawyer. Typical charge might be $100 or less for the attorney's fee (plus court costs and fine).

You may want to have a conversation with your insurance agent about your PA record. It should have been pulled already so verify that the PA speeding ticket has dropped off. If it hasn't, you might want to use the PJC and save the 9 over for the next ticket (if you get one).

- Jeff

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Default Insurance went up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
If your insurance went up, then he didn't do his job. The point is to get it reduced or delayed judgement to avoid Insurance points.
The attorney may not have done his job but we don't know all the facts. If the poster had prior tickets in a three year period (or other drivers in his household had a PJC), there might not have been anything the attorney could do. Now if he had a PJC already on the policy but had no other violations in a three year period and the attorney got a PJC, then that would not be doing your job. But to be fair - it does depend on the facts.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinNC View Post
I got a ticket in March on Evans Rd in Cary...notorious for speed traps at lunch hour and what do I do....19 over on my way to lunch!
I chose one of the lawyers who sent me info and paid her $300. They all wanted $300 my ticket was in the $250 range total. She went to court three times, the cop never showed so the court had to throw my ticket out. I get no ticket, the lawyer gets to keep the $300.

Also, AAA will reimburse you for expenses for the attorney too, I got $50 back with my basic membership.
THat is good that your ticket got thrown out and I am sure the attorney was happy also. Typically court costs are close to $200 now. The fine is much less and will usually be reduced from what it shows on the ticket along with the reduction. Further a PJC does not carry a fine so the court cost charge is the only charge. One thing to be wary of is if the attorney just gets a PJC because it means more money in his/her pocket. That is not always the best plea. I do not suggest using a PJC until you already have a moving violation in the last three years. It is better to save the PJC in my opinion. Plus only one PJC can be used per HOUSEHOLD while you are allowed one 10MPH over or less per driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary