Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 08:11 PM

119 posts, read 260,762 times

Advertisements

We are going to sign a contract in a new subdivision. We are thinking of an upgrade option to add a twin window on one of the wall in our living room. Our living room is connected to the dinning room with no wall / divider in btw. The other side of the living room is open to the entry hall. So our living room has 2 walls. There is a bay window on one of the wall already. My husband wants to add a twin window on the other wall. But that wall is the side wall of the house and hence if there is window on it, we will see the side of our neighbor's house, which I don't really like. Plus, I am afraid that the upgrade might be a downside for the future resale since that wall is the only FULL wall in the living room. If windows are added, then no big furniture can be put there. Since we are the first time buyer, we really have NO idea of how it would look like and whether this will be a negative feature to future home buyer. Please give us your suggestion. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,464 times
I would tend to agree with your view, that your furniture options would be hampered by having another window on the only full wall you have. Additional windows will also have an effect on heating/AC and depending where the TV would be and where sun would be during some times of the day, you might wind up with unwanted glare and find you need to keep it with blinds or shades closed (if that would be a big issue to you or your husband). If you think you would have enough natural light coming from the Dining room, I would think you might be better off leaving that wall alone. Unless you plan to only stay there a short while, I probably wouldn't base my decision on future resale, you need to have what works for you. Its hard to say what any spefic future buyer may think either way. To some, more windows is always better and others may have an issue if furnishing options become limited.

For what its worth, our NY home only had 2 walls initially and with 1 full wall and the adjoining wall with a large picture window it was very difficult to place furniture and TV as it was (also without a fireplace being there). We later closed off the entry way with a wall which helped (although done for other reasons). At the time I bought it, I never even thought about that aspect being a first time buyer. Now would be a totally different story having experienced that problem. We are currently trying to sell this home so we can move down to our new home in Clayton.

Not being all that familiar with how things are done down there, I dont know if skylights are popular or not generally used due to climate concerns and summer impact on AC, etc. If thats an option you might want to consider that instead. If thats not generally feasible down there, someone please chime in on this suggestion.

Good luck, hope all works out well for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary