Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM

45 posts, read 125,826 times

Advertisements

We will likely be moving to the triangle next year and are starting to research the area. Unfortunately, much of the publicity focuses on new neighborhoods and recent construction. Frankly, my wife and I have been turned off by the look of much new construction, and would prefer an older neighborhood with mature trees and more historic homes. We currently live in the inner-ring Suburbs of DC in a home built in the 40's, and have enjoyed doing the maintanance and minor renovation that such homes inevitably require.

Is there a neighborhood within easy driving distance to the Duke campus with pre-WWII homes and top-rate schools for our kids that is reasonably priced (i.e. four-bedroom home for under $800,000)? Obviously, we can't have everything, but we'd like to have at least three of the four.

I noticed a thread about Hope Valley in Durham, which seems nice but might be a little out of our league with most homes over $1M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Forest Hills
Rockwood

two you might consider.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
easily done in Durham.
Watts-Hillandale
Trinity Park
Duke Park
Duke Forest

Some of these are more historic, but they're all established (40-50 years old at least.)

Durham has school choice, so if you end up in a neighborhood where you don't like the school, you have other options. I would suggest looking in the Jordan High School district, however...

ETA: Under $800k for a 4-bedroom home is reasonable? You'll be happy with our real estate market

Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
You can still find some beautiful homes in Hope Valley in your price range, and some even back up to the golf course. A friend of mine recently sold one in the 700-800 range right on one of the fairways. Otherwise, the other poster's suggestions have been right on. Get yourself a good buyer's agent. I know Peak, Swirles, & Cavallito do a lot in that area, and closer to downtown Marie Austin does a lot.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times
You said top school system, and certainly not all of the suggestions have top schools, although they do have the neighborhood you describe.

I'd suggest also trying Chapel Hill, in the Historic District. You may have a hard time finding what you are looking for in your price range, but you said 3/4, so maybe you can go up in price?

Also there are other, more affordable neighborhoods in Chapel Hill which don't have the beautiful historic homes, but also are not cookie cutter homes....homes which were put up in the 50s and 60s--some have been redone beautifully and others have not. Prices reflect that in both. Old growth trees, quiet roads, established neighborhoods, and arguably the best schools in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary