Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM

53 posts, read 247,953 times

Advertisements

Any one else concerned about the new developments? Raleigh has grown very fast in the past five years. Cary has changed over night. Knightdale, Clayton, and Apex are different towns.

Change is inevitable in life. However, going from crawling to running in a day, isn't a smart thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localguywonderingaround View Post
Any one else concerned about the new developments? Raleigh has grown very fast in the past five years. Cary has changed over night. Knightdale, Clayton, and Apex are different towns.

Change is inevitable in life. However, going from crawling to running in a day, isn't a smart thing.
Have you done a search for the issue? There are tons of threads where this has been hashed and re-hashed from varying view points. I am sure you can find what you are looking for in those threads.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,580 times
What kind of strain? I'm a resident of Florida, currently living in Orlando looking to relocate to Raleigh. Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl Citrus View Post
What kind of strain? I'm a resident of Florida, currently living in Orlando looking to relocate to Raleigh. Thanks in advance for your response.
Those areas that have growth do put a stain on the infrastructure. Traffic is worse then it was four years ago......the current drought wouldn't have quite the effect it does if there were less people using the water...etc etc...

It's a trade off.....stagnant growth is not a good thing....growth happening too fast so services can't keep up isn't great either. It has to be balanced.

Some folks, however, wish to turn it isn't a 'us' vs 'them' and use it to insult others.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 AM

53 posts, read 247,953 times
Our infastructure is cracking at the seams. If we don't fix the troubles now, we are leaving the next generation with huge pains.

Examples:
Durham police force is useless and needs reform.
Knightdale needs to control gangs.
Taxing is out of control.
School systems in and surrounding Raleigh are hanging on by a thread.
Bridges along beltline (440) are in terrible shape and need reconditioning.
Raleigh is burning up tax payers money on RBC, Civic Centre, etc.
Public transportation has been put on the back burner.
Homeless percentage is growing rapidly.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Ummmmm and what have those problems got to do with people relocating to the Triangle? seems they are long standing local issues that maybe the additional Tax Revenues from the relocating folks will help fund resolution

Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
As a native, I can say that that list of problems predates the massive growth or relocaters to the area.

The only area I am in agreement with with is the current strain on WCPSS, but I would not go so far as to say they are "hanging on by a thread". They just need a more creative solution.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,580 times
Default Worried....

Quote:
Our infastructure is cracking at the seams. If we don't fix the troubles now, we are leaving the next generation with huge pains.

Examples:
Thanks for your response...

Well I've only had the opportunity to visit Raleigh on few occasions but what I've seen, I loved. I think many up and coming cities experience these kinds of "changings" and it just takes a minute for the local government to get revved up to formulate plans. I think Raleigh will be ok.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:

Examples:
If you think the situation is so bleak, perhaps you are convincing yourself to move?
There is always room for each and every city to improve and most have a full plate of actions to pursue. Some of activities like Public Transportation have been killed federally, not locally. Many of the issues you note are being addressed, perhaps not as fast to meet your liking.
Keep in mind that, while we are always concerned about our bad perceptions, others would laugh at how bad we think we have it....case in point: taxation. Just ask a new homeowner in FL about taxes. Just ask a resident in NY State about taxes.....

Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I've lived here for over 30 years and I've seen the growth.

Its pretty steady growth and perhaps has gotten stronger in the last few years, although I haven't seen the numbers to support this and usually don't believe too much of what I read, anyway!

As with any area that has ANY growth, issues must be worked out; however, its not something that I'd concern myself with on a daily basis.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary