Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio108 View Post
Don't get me wrong; This is a very interesting topic. What was the original point of this thread, something about northern folk vs. southern folk tipping attitudes
Yeah. Once that was covered completely, showing that cheapness and generosity are both common traits throughout the country, things started to drift to interesting tangents.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Personally I'd be okay if restaurants raised prices 20% if it meant not having to tip the servers because they were being paid a living wage. I miss living in a place where tips were not only not customary, they'd probably run after you to return your money if you left any on the table!
If the servers were being paid a living wage without having to rely on tips how good do you think the service would be? Check out what VickiR said about that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/27141873-post53.html

Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I think it matters alot the clientele. I think more people are aware of proper tipping in Raleigh then in the past.And church groups are the worst tippers out there. All that talk about genorosity . right!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
If the servers were being paid a living wage without having to rely on tips how good do you think the service would be? Check out what VickiR said about that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/27141873-post53.html
Like I said, I lived somewhere that tips were not customary. And service was just as good if not better than service here. Why? Because if you provided poor service you were fired. Just like any other service industry job.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Like I said, I lived somewhere that tips were not customary. And service was just as good if not better than service here. Why? Because if you provided poor service you were fired. Just like any other service industry job.
Yes. This has been my experience is countries where tipping isn't customary.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,447 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Someone said if restaurant prices increased then fewer people would dine out. What is the difference between a $50 bill with an (expected) $7.50-10 tip, and a bill that comes that is $57.50 to $60 with no tip expected? The only difference there is that with the first option, the patron has the option of cheaping out and tipping less (or not tipping), screwing the server.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Exactly!

Someone said if restaurant prices increased then fewer people would dine out. What is the difference between a $50 bill with an (expected) $7.50-10 tip, and a bill that comes that is $57.50 to $60 with no tip expected? The only difference there is that with the first option, the patron has the option of cheaping out and tipping less (or not tipping), screwing the server.
You answered your own question. The people who stiff on tips would stop eating out.

This, in my opinion, would be a plus for everyone.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You answered your own question. The people who stiff on tips would stop eating out.

LOL!

Has anyone addressed the obvious issue yet? The customer who runs a waiter ragged, is demanding, complains about everything, sends food back, etc...aren't they often the worst tippers of them all?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I think it matters alot the clientele. I think more people are aware of proper tipping in Raleigh then in the past.And church groups are the worst tippers out there. All that talk about genorosity . right!

Unfortunately you are wrong. Here is an actual study by Cornell.

http://tippingresearch.com/uploads/C...SPaccepted.pdf

For those that do not want to search for the information, here is the breakdown on average tips:

Non-religious - 13.56%
Christian - 12.85%
Jewish - 14.16%
Other -12.29%

Religious or not, people tip about the same.

Last edited by janster100; 12-06-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Except many restaurants would have to close with the reduced business and then people would lose jobs. The average restaurant is operating on a 3% pretax profit margin and cannot afford to lose any business. In his highly unlikely to get a 1:1 ratio with price increases and retained business. People will just shift their business. Service oriented restaurants would lose business in droves to fast food operations as people will just move down the chain. A good example is what happened in 2008/2009. When people started to pull back on expenditures, service oriented restaurants had to offer better deals to get people in the doors. Many were losing money during that time and were lucky enough to ride it out until things improved in late 2010. Once you change the overall cost structure on a permanent basis, you will cause a significant shift in business.

When you remove the "poor tippers", you impact the support of the business infrastructure costs and the business cannot survive.

As I said, it would be great to pay people more, but the economic realities are a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary