Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
People on this forum sure are passionate about how they tip! Re: minimum wage for servers, I have to wonder how service would change if employees were paid minimum wage and were not dependent on tips which they generally earn through good service. The impact on the food price on the menu is also something to consider since a rise in payment to employees would need to be picked up somewhere. The margins at many restaurants are razor thin as it is - it is a tough business.

While I am in agreement that I often see tip jars in places where they don't belong, I can't agree with those who feel they are out of place at coffee shops. In many cases the baristas at coffee shops are working just as hard if not harder than your average bartender to prepare drinks. I tip a bartender for popping the cap off a beer bottle so tipping a barista for pulling a shot of espresso and steaming milk to make a latte doesn't seem to crazy to me.
Servers can keep their jobs by getting good performance reviews, just like the rest of us.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,425,402 times
I stay in hotels 3 nights a week and in 7+ years I can count the number of times I've actually tipped at a restaurant on the road, I just do pickup. The $5 a meal it saves adds up quickly.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,223,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The simple solution is to make restaurants pay their employees the federal minimum wage, and quit getting away with highway robbery. Tipping should be earned as a gratuity for good service...not something you are owed for doing your job, well or poorly. Period. I especially loathe tip jars at Subway, Starbucks, etc. Really?
I agree; however...in Australia, they pay their servers about $18 an hour. There is very little tipping. Service is LOUSY!

I would like to see waiters/waitresses get paid at least minimum wage but then we'd be paying more for going out to eat!

Vicki

Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I stay in hotels 3 nights a week and in 7+ years I can count the number of times I've actually tipped at a restaurant on the road, I just do pickup. The $5 a meal it saves adds up quickly.
I tip for takeout.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I agree; however...in Australia, they pay their servers about $18 an hour. There is very little tipping. Service is LOUSY!

I would like to see waiters/waitresses get paid at least minimum wage but then we'd be paying more for going out to eat!

Vicki
Well, I don't agree with paying wages so high that nobody puts in the extra effort to get tips.

I also figure that if one cannot afford the current cost of a meal plus 15-20% tip, one should stay home or eat in a place where one stands in line to order and buses one's own table.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The simple solution is to make restaurants pay their employees...
Well... dunno about "simple" but it is a solution. I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio108 View Post
This has been suggested and and bought up at times before.
As you can imagine the restaurant association lobby(s) cut it down pretty quickly.
As do most of the (better) waiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
While I am in agreement that I often see tip jars in places where they don't belong...
They don't belong anywhere.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,267,649 times
^ I guess that piano player in the cocktail lounge should just stuff tips down his pants instead of having that glass on the piano then.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM

384 posts, read 595,622 times
To add a different perspective to this, there are millions of commission only sales people who often go long periods of time without making a dime despite working hard and getting rejected daily. Real Estate salespeople can drive someone around looking at houses for weeks and end up not making any money AND spending their own money in the process.

Often times these people have to go out and find their customers, they don't walk in the door seeking nutrition and looking to spend money.

Servers are in an industry that even prescribes a standard tip amount that is expected. The percentage of times a sever actually gets nothing is very low. It is much lower than the percentage of times they give bad/mediocre service and saps like me still tip them 20%.

If you are a good server and you work in a reasonably reputable establishment, you will do just fine.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,148,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
Often times these people have to go out and find their customers, they don't walk in the door seeking nutrition and looking to spend money.
I don't know if I would call what most restaurants serve around here "nutrition"

Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,425,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I tip for takeout.
Good for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.