Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times

Advertisements

I had heard about Publix forever talking with fishing buddies in Florida. I finally got into one in Atlanta and it was way underwhelming. Of course I may have hit a bad one, but I will take HT anytime. I think those pining for a Publix are gonna be a bit disappointed. But the extra competitor may help pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Intersection of Davis and Airport would be the obvious spot. (You'd almost miss the intersection if you didn't know it was there since there is no signal there, yet.)

There has always been a Publix group and a Wegmans group on this board insisting that their respective grocers are the best inventions since fire, but I've shopped at neither before. I will try Publix if/when it opens but will do so with a skeptical eye. If they can match the quality/variety of HT with lower prices I might go there every few months when I need something unusual. I do not expect to change my destination of Aldi and Food Lion for general staples (I'm a cheapskate.)

But at the same time, I am NOT psyched about another stoplight on Davis if that stretch of the road is confirmed as Publix's location and my specific guess of Davis & Airport is correct.
Whether anything goes there I think you can count on a light going in whenever Airport is connected on both sides.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
We bought subs at Publix last night (we're visiting family in Florida) and they we're great! One thing I like about HT better is with their Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal you can just buy 1 item for half-price. At Publix you need to buy 2.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 AM

236 posts, read 552,643 times
@inlovewithcarolina Publix may not dominate, but a different grocery retailer would be a welcome site in Cary. For several reasons, Food Lion is too pricey, shopping at Wal-Mart is getting old, Lowes, is ok on sale days, and Harris Teeter is overpriced, though there products overall seem to be fresher.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Was in Kroger on Hwy 64 this weekend & decided to ask the manager there about Publix. He "said" there are no plans for them to take over Kroger. He didn't even know they were coming to the Triangle, but knew about Charlotte. I guess we'll have to wait & see...
Publix doesn't "take over" other stores, they just offer a better product in order to run the competition out of business.

The fun will begin when Wegman's puts it's footprint into an area Publix is in. At that point, the rest of them are DOA, and an all out turf war will happen.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM

105 posts, read 362,214 times
One can only hope! I am from Fl and nothing compare to Publix Ht is nice but yes you have to watch the prices , Lowe I don care for, Food lion o well if I must ! I am waiting for the New WalMart food markets to open Back to Publix I have family and many friends that work at the store all level manger to cashier the BIG deal is they are UNION and that the real reason they have not cared to come up to N the close one id in Savannah, Nice when we travel home we plan are tip to the store for the things we love and the first place we go and last as we leave town .Bread /Chickern Salad!!
As I said we can only hope!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken 77 View Post
One can only hope! I am from Fl and nothing compare to Publix Ht is nice but yes you have to watch the prices , Lowe I don care for, Food lion o well if I must ! I am waiting for the New WalMart food markets to open Back to Publix I have family and many friends that work at the store all level manger to cashier the BIG deal is they are UNION and that the real reason they have not cared to come up to N the close one id in Savannah, Nice when we travel home we plan are tip to the store for the things we love and the first place we go and last as we leave town .Bread /Chickern Salad!!
As I said we can only hope!!!
Are you saying Publix is unionized? I'm fairly certain they are not.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
In FL they are. Not in SC.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Publix Deli/Bakery if far superior compared to HT. Publix has a fair amount of older stores in average to low income areas in Florida and they are always clean but not always new and flashy. The new ones they built in higher incomes areas are pretty upscale.

Publix has no competition in FL but NC will be a bit tougher with HT/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods. Kroger and Lowe's if still there will be screwed.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmom77 View Post
THIS^^^^^^^^!!!!
I am from FL as well and I am not thrilled with the prospect of them taking over NC the way they have in FL. The only places to shop there now are Publix and Wal-Mart. The prices are high b/c there is very little competition. And as far as the employees go, they're the only game in town and they know it, so service has suffered over the years. I like that we have so many choices here and I hope that continues.
Merry Christmas!
The prices are higher because they pay very good wages and are always ranked as a top employer. I'll gladly pay a bit more for a place that is always clean and treats its employees well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary