Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM

28 posts, read 65,989 times

Advertisements

So I moved back to the Raleigh area after being gone for about 10 years, and while a lot is still the same, a lot has changed also. I moved back for work and because I was in a hurry I chose a place in Brier Creek, where some friends lived a long time ago. It's been 6 months and the place has been a nightmare. You can tell the place has aged badly. The ceiling creeks badly and I know wherever my neighbours move, when they wash clothes, or shower, ect. The apartment feels very lived in, and there are a LOT of bugs. (I'm used to bugs in the south, but this is way beyond normal.)

I've decide to move out by February and I will be looking for a new place. What I want is something similar to what I had in Atlanta, but I'm not sure if there are too many places that have it. I work from home and travel across the triangle and triad, so location is not as important. Here are some of the things I'm looking for.

5 years old or less
Concrete built
Covered parking
Indoor apartment access
Gated

So far I know of a couple of apartments in downtown Raleigh (712 Tucker and Hue) along with Park & Market in North Hills. Are there any places like this in Cary, Durham, ect? It doesn't have to hit every category, but 3 out of 5 at least. The Triangle really seems to be lacking these sort of urban style apartments and communities. I know there is more like this planned over the course of the next couple years, and it can't get here soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Check out Apartments at the Arboretum, located at Harrison and Weston Pkway in Cary. Easy access to Rt 40 and the beltline. Mixed use community - walk to several shops and restaurants. I believe there is gated parking underneath.

http://www.arboretumapartments.com/

Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks ljd1010! I had no clue about that place. I will have to go check it out this week. Right now that and park & Market seem like my best options. I've been to 712 tucker and while i like it, it seems they have a waiting list and I've heard there is a bit of a roach problem there. Saw a couple of big water bug types by the pool the night I visited a friend there.

Are there any condos in the downtown area where someone may be renting? I know of 400 West, but that's about it. I think all the others are 8-10 years old.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
Durham has a bunch or urban apartments. Look on Erwin Rd near Duke for newer modern faux city style, 9th st, Brightleaf area, Goldenbelt, and American Tobacco. Downtown area has some apt.s also.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Check out Apartments at the Arboretum, located at Harrison and Weston Pkway in Cary. Easy access to Rt 40 and the beltline. Mixed use community - walk to several shops and restaurants. I believe there is gated parking underneath.

http://www.arboretumapartments.com/
I was going to suggest these as well. They are very nice and in a convenient location!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
>Northcity6 on Six Forks Road. (A bit older than 5 years) But you wouldnt know by looking (Six Forks @ Lynn Rd.
> Manor at Six Forks (Very Nice) (Six forks @ Atlantic)
> The Tribute on Glenwood Avenue North of Crabtree Valley Mall

These are all very nice options also.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Considering that the recession that began 4 years ago pretty much quashed most new construction, you're not going to find much that is "5 years or less", especially in condos, which sat on the market empty in many places for months. Best to widen that window of must-haves to "10 years or less", or "8 years".

Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,272 times
There are very, very few apartments around here that are not wood frame construction. 712 Tucker is wood frame. Rule of thumb: 5 stories or less = stick built.

The one exception is Hue, which I believe, is steel frame construction with concrete subfloors.

Maybe your best bet, though, is to rent out a unit in a condo building, like 222 or 510 Glenwood, West at North, the Hudson, Bloomsbury, Dawson and Morgan, etc. All of these are concrete construction. These are likely more expensive though.

In a year and a half or, supposedly the Skyhouse tower will be complete, but that doesn't help you out for this February.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM

I've been considering renting a condo, but I don't know the best places online to look. If anyone has suggestions, please PM them to me.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM

436 posts, read 670,799 times
Park & Market in North Hills (Raleigh) seems to have most of what you want. A bit towards the high end price wise though.
Park & Market | Apartments for Rent in Raleigh, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary