Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM

46 posts, read 79,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Raleigh is where creativity and individualism go to die...
I was thinking Cary too.

Lets not start another Durham vs Raleigh forums. They are both great cities to live and work in. I just choose to live in Raleigh because I like it better here. I had people tell me to "stay away from Durham" too and those people tend to be rednecks. Durham has came along ways from when I moved to this area in 96. I just wish people will know the facts before they say stuff like that.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Raleigh is where creativity and individualism go to die...
Bleh .... I hear this all the time. Usually from out of touch hipsters still living in their mom's basement. I chalk comments like this up to people being ignorant. Just like those who bash Durham. Sad.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleighman View Post
I was thinking Cary too.

Lets not start another Durham vs Raleigh forums. They are both great cities to live and work in. I just choose to live in Raleigh because I like it better here. I had people tell me to "stay away from Durham" too and those people tend to be rednecks. Durham has came along ways from when I moved to this area in 96. I just wish people will know the facts before they say stuff like that.
I said the same thing...

NO reason to bash either area just because you choose one over the other. I thought that was a helpful comment! Name calling doesn't accomplish much in the way of helping people get answers to their questions.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Bleh .... I hear this all the time. Usually from out of touch hipsters still living in their mom's basement. I chalk comments like this up to people being ignorant. Just like those who bash Durham. Sad.
It really is a shame, isn't it? As with most stereotypes of all kinds, the stereotypes about both Durham and Raleigh may be rooted in some kernels of truth, but are often outrageously exaggerated and inaccurate, and frequently are actually actively harmful, by hindering people's true understanding of both cities, and of their many, many things in common. Truthfully, while Durham and Raleigh certainly do have some differences, they're really much more alike than they are different, both in the good ways and the bad ways. Both are overwhelmingly pleasant places, with economies that have remained reasonably vibrant through the economic downturn and show decent promise for sustained growth in the future. Both are often seen as a little too sleepy and small-time by people from other parts of the country due to the largely suburban and middle-of-the-road character, but each city has an underrated and growing core of urban vitality and the "creative class." Both are pretty diverse and welcoming places for the most part, but both can frustrate people across the political spectrum by being not quite progressive enough for some people, and not quite conservative enough for others. Both are generally very safe for most people in most places most of the time, but neither can be said to be absolutely 100% safe and free of crime, and one can certainly find plenty of trouble in either place if you go looking for it, and occasionally even if you don't. Both face similar challenges for the future, especially those related to their rapid growth, such as infrastructure, environment, education, transportation, water use, and growing inequality. And that demonstrates how Durham and Raleigh not only have a lot in common now, but are becoming more and more similar and more closely linked. They really can't not be allies and partners, and need to work together as much as possible. Potshots between the two are silly and unproductive, although it's a free country and anyone can say whatever they want, of course.

Last edited by tompope; 12-06-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Well, Durham did have a gang documentary just six years ago. Can't say the same for Cary... unless you count the soccer mom gangs.

The biggest problem is that people don't really know these different cities nor respect the heterogeneous nature of them. Neither are all bad or all good, and each have characteristics that are more appealing to certain people.

If you haven't been to downtown Durham recently, you should check it out - lots of cool stuff and restaurants there now. I can't say the same for downtown Cary.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM

334 posts, read 867,184 times
Durham is fine. I go to a dozen or so Bulls games every season. Some good places to eat. More industrial/urban feel to it. Would I ever move there. No.
Why not? It's not just the higher taxes and crime. I prefer North Raleigh and enjoy what downtown Raleigh has become.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
I feel sorry for people that miss out on life because of fear of the unknown, or fear from hearsay. I can't imagine having missed out on music at Baker's Keyboard Lounge or Cadieux Cafe in Detroit because some other people thought the areas were scary.

As far as the differences between the Triangle cities, we all have different needs and interests and the cities in the triangle do a good job of filling most peoples wants. I love Durham, and find that what interests me is best met in downtown Durham, while Raleigh, Cary, and even SW Durham don't really appeal to me personally, I'm sure that for many people they fit their personalities perfectly.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM

554 posts, read 622,708 times
I have lived in Raleigh, Cary and Durham. I have never had a problem in either city. There is going to be crime in any city. I think you should judge for your self and not listen to other people.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM

334 posts, read 867,184 times
Too much (crime) goes on in Durham especially after dark. Sadly it sometimes over shadows some of the positives of Durham.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
I have lived in Raleigh, Cary and Durham. I have never had a problem in either city. There is going to be crime in any city. I think you should judge for your self and not listen to other people.
I don't need to actually be a victim of a crime to look at statistics and place myself where it is safer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary