Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Downplaying it looks even worse.
I'll tell you what looks bad. People cherry picking crime statistics to put down other cities. Each town / city in the Triangle has it struggles with crime. If you are a WRAL junkie I guess you might get paranoid after a while and start thinking entire cities are "unsafe". However, as somebody who lives in the real world with experiences beyond 15 second sound bites from the 6 o'clock news, I sometimes have to sit back and wonder in amazement at the ignorant stuff I see posted on this forum.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 AM

334 posts, read 867,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'll tell you what looks bad. People cherry picking crime statistics to put down other cities. Each town / city in the Triangle has it struggles with crime. If you are a WRAL junkie I guess you might get paranoid after a while and start thinking entire cities are "unsafe". However, as somebody who lives in the real world with experiences beyond 15 second sound bites from the 6 o'clock news, I sometimes have to sit back and wonder in amazement at the ignorant stuff I see posted on this forum.
Well you don't like WRAL. Let's try the Hearald Sun. Hmm seems this is the 14th attack this year so far.

Another tobacco trail user attacked | The Herald-Sun

Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I don't think it's over-sensitivity...anybody is going to get frustrated if they hear a mistruth/mischaracterization over and over again, and want to set things straight. And it's especially maddening when a person is repeating what they've "heard" and they've never set foot in the city. I remember a girl telling me that Durham was "just like Baltimore", but she'd never even BEEN to Durham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I'd put $5 on her not having been to Baltimore either.
I had the same thought, but you beat me to it Peperobereto!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Well you don't like WRAL. Let's try the Hearald Sun. Hmm seems this is the 14th attack this year so far.

The Tobacco Trail ≠ Durham.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,988 times
Quote:

Last estimate I saw was around 140,000 users of the trail in Durham County every year (about 400 users a day which I think is a huge under-count, but it's an estimate). 14 total reported crimes for ~134,000 users (adjusting for the 2 weeks still left in the year) leads us to a crime rate of 1.04 per 10,000 users.

So, becoming the victim of a crime on the American Tobacco Trail literally a 1-in-10,000 probability event. Or roughly 7.5 times lower than your chance of being the victim of a violent crime in Cary during the course of one year.

(note to statistician's- I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it's for demonstrative purposes so I'm going to go ahead and do it.)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

Your post = Denial.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:

I don't see your point. Your post isn't any more statistically significant than somebody from Durham bashing Raleigh about the disgusting incident a few weeks ago when several Raleigh teens allegedly murdered a homless man.

Wake might try Raleigh teens accused in homeless man's death as adults - Crime/Safety - NewsObserver.com

Let's stop the madness. Posts like these are akin to animals slinging feces at one another.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Last estimate I saw was around 140,000 users of the trail in Durham County every year (about 400 users a day which I think is a huge under-count, but it's an estimate). 14 total reported crimes for ~134,000 users (adjusting for the 2 weeks still left in the year) leads us to a crime rate of 1.04 per 10,000 users.

So, becoming the victim of a crime on the American Tobacco Trail literally a 1-in-10,000 probability event. Or roughly 7.5 times lower than your chance of being the victim of a violent crime in Cary during the course of one year.

(note to statistician's- I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it's for demonstrative purposes so I'm going to go ahead and do it.)

Chamber of Commerce?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Quote:
Your post = Denial.
Dark of the Moon is in "denial" that the American Tobacco Trail is, in fact, Durham?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
All I'm saying -- and remember that I don't live in the area, so have no "dog" in this fight -- is that the Tobacco Trail may or may not be representative of Durham as a whole, and that basing one's perceptions of crime on that alone is kinda silly.

Just MHO, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary