Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 15,321 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are considering relocating to Raleigh from the DC area (Northern VA, specifically) and I was looking for opinions. First off, I want to say that I know there's lots of controversy about all the northern transplants and that we are certainly not looking to change anyone's way of life; in fact, we are hoping to learn a new way from you. I look forward to meeting the wonderful, warm people I know live there! (As has been evident in my visits thus far)

Anyway, here is my deal: I love the North Raleigh area, but my husband prefers to live somewhere that enables you to walk to places if you like. We do have a car, but we enjoy being able to take a nice walk to a restaurant or store. Also notable is that I am very crime-conscious and need to live in a relatively safe area, esp. since we plan on starting our family there. Any suggestions for a neighborhood or area that would please us both? Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,728 times
Knowing your price range and likely employment locations would be helpful for us to know in order to help steer you in the right direction.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaroo View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband and I are considering relocating to Raleigh from the DC area (Northern VA, specifically) and I was looking for opinions. First off, I want to say that I know there's lots of controversy about all the northern transplants and that we are certainly not looking to change anyone's way of life; in fact, we are hoping to learn a new way from you. I look forward to meeting the wonderful, warm people I know live there! (As has been evident in my visits thus far)

Anyway, here is my deal: I love the North Raleigh area, but my husband prefers to live somewhere that enables you to walk to places if you like. We do have a car, but we enjoy being able to take a nice walk to a restaurant or store. Also notable is that I am very crime-conscious and need to live in a relatively safe area, esp. since we plan on starting our family there. Any suggestions for a neighborhood or area that would please us both? Thanks so much for your time!
Areas you might like include Stonehenge, North Hills, Meredith Woods/Olde Raleigh, Falls River. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Yes, I agree....where are you going to be working and what price range? There are several areas that might work for you...but no use suggusting something a horrid commute away.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,321 times
Oh sorry.....we would be looking for a house in the $225,000 neighborhood (hopefully less, but that would still be comfortable for us) and my husband would actually work his current job from home and I am starting my own home-based business, though I am hoping to eventually lease my own shop. So we are very flexible as far as employment goes. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,155 times
Something to consider ... Some HOA's may not allow Home-Based businesses. I am not sure if they can really be enforced, but something to consider when looking for homes. There may also be degrees of this. We are new to the area ourselves and our HOA has a restriction to this effect. I believe they distinguish between working from home vs running businessses out of the home. Perhaps others can chime in of this and you may want to look for areas that don't have HOA's.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaroo View Post
Oh sorry.....we would be looking for a house in the $225,000 neighborhood (hopefully less, but that would still be comfortable for us) and my husband would actually work his current job from home and I am starting my own home-based business, though I am hoping to eventually lease my own shop. So we are very flexible as far as employment goes. Thanks!
Again, Falls River. You might find something around Quail Corners.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 33,315 times
I also am looking for info. about living inside the beltway. My husband is already working in downtown Raleigh we will be moving from PA to join him. Thinking maybe urban living for a change. Any thoughts or advise. Schools, crime, resale ect.
Thanks - first post I hope I have done this correctly.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcmovingsouth View Post
I also am looking for info. about living inside the beltway. My husband is already working in downtown Raleigh we will be moving from PA to join him. Thinking maybe urban living for a change. Any thoughts or advise. Schools, crime, resale ect.
Thanks - first post I hope I have done this correctly.
1. Where in PA? (Just curious...)

2. ITB, Inside the Beltline, offers great neighborhoods and locations. And it is pricey. Some great schools. Assuming you want a single family home, or would a condo or townhome do it for you?

3. "Urban" is a little subjective. It isn't Philly... Raleigh is still a big small town at heart.

4. Welcome to CityData. Probably better to click on "Forum Tools" above and to the right, under the line of page numbers and to start your own new thread.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,217 times
Check out raleighrestaurantreview.com for some restaurant suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary