Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times

Advertisements

"diversity trumps academics"

There seems to be a few policies in place in WCPSS that can lead to this assumption, and I've not heard anything compelling to refute it.

Also, FWIW WCPSS is now the largest public school system in the state of NC and among the top 20 largest in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 PM

28 posts, read 78,409 times
So where do you plan to move that is better? I know I need to move somewhere but everywhere has there own set of problems. I want to move where my and my husbands hard work pays off. Where there isnt as much diversity in the school district because those childrens parents have worked as hard as we have. I cant afford to live here in one of those towns. I live where there is some diversity, enough to bring our competency tests down to 60% at grade level.
I am sorry but I dont understand why everyone is so upset about more schools, doesnt that usually mean smaller classrooms and more teachers for students? I know taxes go up but they will always go up anyway. I live in a crappy district, actually a "diverse" one the teachers are great and we pay 2,500 in taxes a year just for the school alone. With each year taxes go up and the people that benefit are ones who do not own homes and pay the taxes.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 PM

353 posts, read 996,151 times
KristinaV963,

If your husband's profession dictates that you would earn the most money by living in the Triangle, keep in mind there are other counties in this region that you can look at: Johnston, Harnett, Chatham, just to name a few.

Also, I had ALWAYS heard bad things about Durham, but after doing my OWN research, I have learned that Durham is a wonderful place, and would allow an equally-easy commute to RTP.

None of the above-mentioned counties have the redistricting policies of Wake County. But they DO allow easy access to Raleigh/RTP, they have good schools (do your research to see what would work for you) they have affordable housing, and taxes, and climate (all the things that probably steered you to Raleigh).

Personally, we're moving toward Charlotte (my husband got a job we could NOT say no to). Had he not found a job, we would have been looking at the Fuquay-Varina part of Johnston County (that town is split between Wake and Johnston, so you'd have to do your research (that word research keeps coming up again, eh?? ))

Our destination is either Cabarrus County or Iredell -- possibly Lincoln. We'll be in an apt, so we will have time to do our... you guessed it -- RESEARCH!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 PM

I am so sick of RESEARCH!! My husband is the Director of IT here. There he would more likely find a job as an oracle dba or something. He isnt paid well for his job here but it appears as though there he will make a minimum of the same if not 10k more annual. Which was another thing that was very attractive. It looks like charlotte has some work as well and again for more money then here. You only make a decent living here if you work in manhattan and its a 2 1/2 hr commute.

Thank you for some direction on where to begin more "research" although being unfamiliar with durham makes that town scary since both of my agents told me there is high crime and gang activity there.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaV963 View Post

Thank you for some direction on where to begin more "research" although being unfamiliar with durham makes that town scary since both of my agents told me there is high crime and gang activity there.
Ask your agents about high crime and gang activity in Raleigh. It is there, I promise. This sort of behavior infuriates me; it seems there's an endless list of Raleigh agents who are happy to defame Durham without mentioning the same issues in areas of Raleigh.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM

KristinaV963,

In that instance, I would certainly, if I were you, post your questions so that people actually LIVING in Durham can give you some further direction.

Also, do a "search" using the function at the top of the page, to see if your questions have been asked/answered before. I will guess that it's 95% likely that a question/issue you are wondering about has been addressed here in the last month or two! You're not alone, but I personally find that you are the only person you can trust 100% to do the research you need to, in order to establish whether or not a certain move will be right for your family.

There are lots of resources out there, and I have found the folks online here to be most-helpful in steering people with inquiries in the right direction!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post
For those living in Wake at the time of the vote, I do hope so!
I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I followed last week’s elections very closely and I was appalled at the lack of voter turnout. I realize only certain districts were voting on new board of education members, but the number of total votes in those districts was dismal and in no way reflected the number of eligible voters with school aged children in those areas. I don't even have children and I voted for a board of education member. Where were all the parents who parade themselves in front of the news cameras all year complaining about how things are done and clamoring for change? I guess when it comes down to it they don't really care or just can't be bothered to vote. I think it is pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Ask your agents about high crime and gang activity in Raleigh. It is there, I promise. This sort of behavior infuriates me; it seems there's an endless list of Raleigh agents who are happy to defame Durham without mentioning the same issues in areas of Raleigh.
Again, this is a bit off topic, and I understand the point you are making, but a RE agent shouldn't be supplying you with this info about crime. It is really up to you the buyer to research this, as this information is readily available to the public. Asking your agent questions like this is putting him/her on the spot to answer questions that could get them in trouble.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

As far as a real estate agent is concerned, it is so very difficult to cover every town's research with all that is necessary to make a move, and then go to visit everytown that meets a certain standard, unless you live in state. Many people moving to wake county live very far away with families and f/t jobs. We rely on real estate agents "relocation experts" to help us narrow things down. North Carolina is also a very very big state.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM

KristinaV963,

I don't think things will line up that way (ie, find a job, a home, etc etc) all in one fell swoop. If I may be so bold, you may have to 1) find A job (I think you mentioned your husband worked in IT -- he can find a job in any of the major markets in NC) and then to either take the plunge or stay put.

Once you decide, if ultimately you move, find an apartment. Then, you are not "bound" (except by a lease) to stay in any one area. You can use the time that you have a lease to explore the areas and then choose the best place for your family.

You "sound" frustrated, and I can understand it, but as I said in the post above, I don't believe anyone, except you yourself, can do the research you need to have done to make your decisions. Folks here are helpful, but we're not inside your head/home, and cannot know what you need/value. Realtors, while also helpful, are there to make a commission -- so, they have their own reasons (I am not saying it's sinister, just being a realist here) for telling you things; they want to make a sale.

If you're in a position in your current home town of not being able to move up, a move is apparently in your future anyway, so, you may as well take a chance, and see what happens. If anything, and it's happened before, you can always move back home.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I followed last week’s elections very closely and I was appalled at the lack of voter turnout. I realize only certain districts were voting on new board of education members, but the number of total votes in those districts was dismal and in no way reflected the number of eligible voters with school aged children in those areas. I don't even have children and I voted for a board of education member. Where were all the parents who parade themselves in front of the news cameras all year complaining about how things are done and clamoring for change? I guess when it comes down to it they don't really care or just can't be bothered to vote. I think it is pathetic.

Again, this is a bit off topic, and I understand the point you are making, but a RE agent shouldn't be supplying you with this info about crime. It is really up to you the buyer to research this, as this information is readily available to the public. Asking your agent questions like this is putting him/her on the spot to answer questions that could get them in trouble.
Couldn't agree more with your point on the election. Turnout was so low that it took me only 3 minutes to vote...no line at all. And this was for a ballot with quite a few big $$$ bond issues, as well as BOE, city council, and mayor (uncontested). Complaining is nothing but posturing w/out voting!

Second paragraph: My point was that if an agent in Wake is going to bring up crime and gang activity in Durham, they should provide some fair balance and point out that Wake County has plenty of the same. In an ideal situation, I'd prefer that the RE agent not supply this information, however it seems from many posts on this forum that it comes up far too often, and generally in a rather unbalanced manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary