U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 09:44 PM

28 posts, read 76,518 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some opinions on how you feel about the schools being redistricted. What if any say do parents have in where there children attend school. How does it affect your children going to one school then sent to another? Do they get split up from friends?

I plan on moving within the year and schools are my big thing. I want to be in the schools with top ratings. Lets say I go ahead and move into a development and maybe Baucum is the elementary school (it looks good on paper) what are the chances my son would be redistricted to say swift creek (doesnt look so good on paper). I will be moving a long way to do what is in our families best interest and honestly Im scared of this issue and would love to here what others think and feel about this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 24,215,279 times
There are no guarantess. It can happen. I know personally of a very powerful Raleigh family who has their daughter in Swift Creek and love it. How schools look on paper is not really relevant. My advice is to NOT pick any school in this county as a basis on where you want to live. The chances of redistricting are not as high as people tend to over emphasize, but it can and does happen.
You will find few schools in the county with "top ratings" and if you do, they probably won't stay that way for long.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 15,487 times
I could write a book on what we have been through with school redistricting this year, having been redistricted to a year round middle school, and having a child in HS. All I can say is there are no givens here. I was waarned about that, and thought, eh, it won't happen to us, and it did , 3 months after we moved in. They may change your schools at any time, and your children will be torn away from their friends....but...they will make new ones as well. I live .5 miles from our High School for just this reason, and I still don't feel safe in the assumption that they won't send us somewhere else at some point. You must learn to go with the flow, change is almost inevitable! Sorry. It sucks, but it is the reality here.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM

906 posts, read 2,299,383 times
Kristina--there are some areas that get hit really hard with redistricting while others don't go through it at all. Some areas are predictable--like if there are new schools opening soon in an area then you will be probably be reassigned. But you can get moved for reasons other than growth, which happened to a bunch of kids at our elem school this year.

Honestly, it depends on your kids as to how much it will affect them. But I think it affects them all, even if they adjust well. Kids do get split up from friends and often times friends from elem school will go to different middle schools.

Parents have very little to say about where they are assigned and the school system doesn't really seem to care about stability for families and kids. New schools/growth are undestandable reasons for reassignment, but they reassign for 'diversity' without care for what they are doing to families.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM

2,586 posts, read 8,762,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
Parents have very little to say about where they are assigned and the school system doesn't really seem to care about stability for families and kids. New schools/growth are undestandable reasons for reassignment, but they reassign for 'diversity' without care for what they are doing to families.
I couldn't have summed up the situation any better myself. This is one of the main reasons we're considering a move to Durham before my son starts school. And no, we're not planning on private schools in Durham, but rather the excellent neighborhood schools in DPS...novel concept, huh?!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM

153 posts, read 443,804 times
There is one way to get a guarantee of your school. Apply to a school (either magnet or calendar option) and get accepted. Once you are accepted, you are then guaranteed not to be reassigned until your child finishes that schools highest grade.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 AM

906 posts, read 2,299,383 times
ncitgal--calendar option schools are not a guarantee anymore. Kids who were at a voluntary year round school had to go back to their base it if it converted to year round. Turner Creek elem lost over 60% of its kids when they went back to base.

So that leaves magnets as the only guarantee right now.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,024,376 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I also agree on this. hey claim overall to be making the situation better but really this is one of the few but big problems / complaints with the county. someone else needs to step in because they arent able to better things.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 AM

166 posts, read 640,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncitgal View Post
There is one way to get a guarantee of your school. Apply to a school (either magnet or calendar option) and get accepted. Once you are accepted, you are then guaranteed not to be reassigned until your child finishes that schools highest grade.
This is absolutely not true. We had applied and been accepted to a magnet school, our first child went all the way through with no problems. Our second was forced to change schools as she went into 4th grade, along with her younger sister. There are no guarantees in the magnet program other than that you will be assigned to one of the schools of that type within the magnet program once you are accepted, not a particular school. And if you have a younger child that isn't old enough to be grandfathered if they redistrict (so far that would mean any rising 3rd graders and younger) then you are fair game to be redistricted, even if you have siblings at the school that ARE grandfathered, unless you want to carpool and have kids at 2 different schools.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,050,117 times
For some perspective. The Wake County Public School system voters passed a $1 Billion Dollar bond issue to refurbish and build new schools. This a county wide bond. With that kind of money and the growth the area has been experiencing one can deduce that children will be moved around for awhile. Every new school will have to be filled and they don't necessarily coincide with just children from new subdivisions. In order to fill them children will have to come from other schools and areas within Wake County. So as long as growth continues there will be movement of children within the school system. I think the other submit ors to this tread said it very well.

btw: 2008 the Wake County Public School system 'may' ask for another $1 + Billion dollars to refurbish and build more schools.

Hopefully this gave you some perspective on the state of the Wake County Schools from a growth and investment viewpoint. Good luck on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary