U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 244,836 times

Advertisements

What's the cheapest type of heating in the triangle area (i.e., oil, gas, electric)? For example, on long island, electric heated homes will cost you an absolute fortune - where gas and oil are fairly comparable.

Additionally, I'm trying to get a full handle on what my bills are going to look like in NC. From what I've read this is what I've estimated (on average/month) - does this seem about right?

Car Insurance - about $70/car/month
Gas Heat - about $40/month
Water - about $120/month
Cable/Internet - about $100/month

BTW - With the exception of the Gas Heat - these bills are all higher than Long Island - you guys may want to think about moving here

Any help you can provide would be great thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 03:43 PM

10,010 posts, read 17,746,305 times
you forgot electric which you have to have and progress energy keeps getting rate hikes, our bill during the winter was atleast 150.00 and about 185.00 during the summer since we had electric AC units and way down during spring since we didnt use it too much , everything else sound about right, oh and garbage was 60.00 every three months. Our neighbors had gas heat and they complained theirs was $ 125.00 one month during the winter

Old 10-01-2006, 04:14 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,548,678 times
I think it depends. If the price of gas keeps climbing, then electric would be cheaper for sure.

Funny how gas used to be the cheap way to heat a home!

ETA your estimates look good, except for the gas heat estimate. I live in a 2000 sq ft house and I had several gas bills over $350 a month last winter.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,439,856 times
We use gas to heat our home with propane (it is 3700 square feet), and we did the "budget plan" and we pay 120 a month for 10 months. In the summer our electric bill (for the ac) is about 200 a month.

The propane costs have gone down, and usually you have to sign a year contract with the propane company, but they will compete over getting your business.

That is just our experience!

Leigh

Old 10-01-2006, 05:14 PM

54 posts, read 244,836 times
Default So to summarize

Propane Gas Heat - about $140/month (average)
Water - about $120/month
Electric - about $160/month
Garbage - about $20/month

shaylahc - do you use natural gas or propane? Additionally, what would you estimate your yearly gas bill is - I'm just trying to figure the average monthly price.

Our oil bills here average about $150/month - I assume they'll be a bit more down there due to the larger size homes.

Thanks to all for you help

BTW - This board and the people on it are really incredibly helpful - thanks to all for your assistance

Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,548,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRelocatingNYer View Post
Propane Gas Heat - about $140/month (average)
Water - about $120/month
Electric - about $160/month
Garbage - about $20/month

shaylahc - do you use natural gas or propane? Additionally, what would you estimate your yearly gas bill is - I'm just trying to figure the average monthly price.

Our oil bills here average about $150/month - I assume they'll be a bit more down there due to the larger size homes.

Thanks to all for you help

BTW - This board and the people on it are really incredibly helpful - thanks to all for your assistance
We use natural gas. In the summer it's around $35 a month, in the winter it's anywhere from $250-350 a month. No idea what the average would be. I called once about getting on a budget and they quoted me something super high, like $200 a month so I just pay the bills as they come every month, no budget for me

Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 AM

60 posts, read 289,891 times
Don't know how people are paying $120 / month in water? Do you leave the faucets on all the time? The only time of year I can think that water bills would be that high is now when people are trying to grow grass and watering their yard every other day. The rest of the year it should be much lower. We have a baby and do laundry nearly every day, run the dishwasher, etc, and have never paid over $50 / month in water (including trash and sewer).

Our electric was over $100 once this year, for July which was the hottest month. We have a 1350 sq ft 25 year old house and I'm fairly certain the windows have never been replaced. I'm sure it would be cheaper if they were updated.

Car insurance varies depending on your record, but we have never had any wrecks or tickets and we pay roughly what you said for two cars...about $75 / month.

Natural gas is the killer. Last year when gas was so expensive we had a couple $200+ bills. During the summer though it's usually under $20 / month. Our average last year was roughly $70.

Cable / internet is dependent upon how many channels you want. RoadRunner is around $45 / month and you can get a handful of channels for $12 or so. If you want full cable you are looking at $80-ish / month. Digital cable will run you around $100 / month with internet. If you do get high speed internet, go ahead and get a VoIP phone provider instead of BellSouth...you'll save at least $10-15 / month (before long distance) doing that.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,076,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRelocatingNYer View Post
Gas Heat - about $40/month
Water - about $120/month
Depends on the person/household, obviously, but for me:
-> add about 20-25 more to the car insurance.
-> Gas: cheap in the spring/summer/early fall (for stove, etc): 25-35 bucks....but for cold months? anywhere from 140 to 220.
-> Water/sewer/trash (most cities combine): 25-40.
-> Cable/internet---depending on the package/options, that's about right.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 15,308 times
After considering the costs of electric vs gas, think about this. Most homes here in NC (or SC) have heat pumps. If the temperature goes below 40 degrees, the heat pumps can't keep you warm. So you need to have gas heat in the winter, I think. Electric for the A/C in the summer.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,130,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
We use gas to heat our home with propane (it is 3700 square feet), and we did the "budget plan" and we pay 120 a month for 10 months. In the summer our electric bill (for the ac) is about 200 a month.

The propane costs have gone down, and usually you have to sign a year contract with the propane company, but they will compete over getting your business.

That is just our experience!

Leigh

Really? I'll take it. 200.00 a month in the Summer for 3700 sqft? sounds like a deal to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary