Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM

30 posts, read 70,213 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to North Durham (27712-ish area), probably in January. We are targeting our rental search there because that's where his job will be -- and since we're coming from the DC metro area, he's not interested in an especially long commute. It also seems like a more suburban, slower-paced area. (Though, maybe I'm wrong ... that's why I'm here!)

Just a few questions:
- What is the vibe of the area?
- What are the schools like?
- It looks like it's a little more removed from shopping, etc ... is that accurate? (We're fine with that.)
- What are some nice neighborhoods for families?

We've been down to Durham a couple of times and really like it. Very excited!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I am not super familiar with that area, but I'll take a stab at your question. I think a lot of people like Treyburn. It's pretty swank, I believe.

I have a friend who lives the next area over, off Pleasant Green, near the Eno River. Personally I'd be interested in something like that, but I'm a nature-lover. If you're more interested in shopping you might like to be closer to SW Durham and Southpoint Mall.

I don't know anything about the schools there, but you might like to check out Strong Durham Schools .

In general, Durham, has pretty varied schools with some interesting charters and magnets, some low performing schools and some good traditional schools. I know folks with elementary aged kids at Central Park School For Children and Hope Valley who have been very happy. I know someone with a gifted child at Githens Middle and she's happy with it, too.

There are some people who work in Durham, but live in Chapel Hill for the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools (Orange County has it's own system). CHCCS is similar to Fairfax County schools if that helps.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,567 times
North Durham....
just moved in last spring from the West Coast and here's my take...
Its rural in comparison to what you know from the DC area. Not much in the way of shopping or entertainment venues unless you are a member of the Treyburn CC or have interest in martial arts ( several studios out here). A good twenty minutes' drive to the closest mall and that's with no traffic. The greatest concentration of restaurants is in the area near the NC School of Math and Science at Ninth St. and at Brightleaf Square. There are a few places between Treyburn and there, but not much.
The nearest neighborhoods that I know which are kid-laden are along Latta Rd and Infinity Road, but there are some kids out in Treyburn; mostly in the "newer section".
guessing that the employer will be in the Treyburn Industrial Park area, in which case the Treyburn neighborhood will be about a 7 minute commute.
Rentals are hard to come by out here but there are a few. If you're willing to live in an area that isn't a "Neighborhood" per se, you may have better luck.
Its pretty laid back out here in the North county. It may be frustratingly so for someone just out of the DC area. Distance to shopping of any kind can be frustrating if you choose to live in Treyburn- there's no such thing as "running out to the corner" for milk- closest venue is 15 minutes' drive...and that is a convenient mart.
Can't speak to the schools from personal experience, but there is a BRAND NEW Middle School down the road and its got every state-of-the-art gizmo imaginable. OUr neighbors' children attend the Voyager Academy which is near Durham Regional Hospital. Its a charter school and attendance is by lottery.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM

30 posts, read 70,213 times
Thanks for the info! I grew up in rural Virginia (nearest grocery store was 30 minutes out), and my husband and I really dislike the traffic and congestion of Northern VA. This sounds like a great area.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,567 times
Well I also grew up in NO.VA I lived in Fairfax Co in the 60's so if you can relate to that, and like it, then No. Durham will probably suit you just fine.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,143 times
If you have children in elementary school, I'd focus on homes/rentals zoned to Mangum, Little River, or Easley. Easley is a year-round school, which some find strange who are not used to it, but it's really great. It's nine weeks in then 3 weeks out with a 5 week break in summer - they go the same number of days as traditional, it's just spread out differently. North Durham actually is a pretty large area. The Easely zone will be farther south than the other two and more convenient to things elsewhere in Durham (shopping, downtown, etc) while the Little River/Mangum areas will be further out/more rural. They also probably have fewer transplants for the most part and will take on a more...native North Carolinian feel than the Easley zone. Durham went overwhelmingly for Obama, but I drove into way north durham up Guess Rd not long before the election, and I went from seeing Obama signs up to about Easley and then North from there, it was all Romney. The voting place in Durham County that went most heavily for Romney, if I recall correctly, was the Bahama Ruritan Club.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
We live in the 27712 zip - right off Latta Road in the Lockhaven neighborhood.
We really like the area very much! It is a great balance of space but yet being near everything you want.

I work in downtown Durham & my commute is only 6 miles.
And within that 6 miles is everything we need. Grocery stores, churches, restaurants, dry cleaners, strip malls with the typical box stores, and banks. So while I can't walk to the grocery store, it is only a 5 minute trip.

We do have a small mall in the area, Northgate. For higher end boutique shops you would need to go to Southpoint, but if you need a quick mall stop they have the usual suspects (Sears, Hallmark, Macy's, etc) and a decent movie theatre. First run movies, not the big 3-D, IMAX stuff, but good enough.

And as you commented, being that close to downtown & all the great stuff Durham has to offer is fantastic. Nothing beats leaving a Bulls game or show @ DPAC & being home in 20 minutes.

I can't speak to schools (we are childfree), but I know there are several in the area.
We have one near our house. The parents in the neighborhood are very nice about posting on the listserve we have letting us know when events are going on so we have a heads up on the extra noise &/or traffic.

If you find a neighborhood you like, check Google. Many of the neighborhoods have websites &/or listserves. You can see what is going on (depending on how well they keep it up). Our neighborhood ebbs & flows. Some years there is lots going on & others not so much. They usually organize a map for Halloween of homes handing out candy, we do the Night Out Against Crime, and sporadic block party.

Also there is a PAC2 group on Yahoo (not sure what PAC Stands for, but it is a police/citizens group). That encompasses our 'region' of the city. There is a monthly meeting & they put out minutes & details on things happening in the area (stores in the area applying for liquor licenses, repsonse to questions about animals/soliciting/home checks/etc).

Finding a rental may be tough, but they are out there. I know of a couple in our neighborhood, but they are all leased at the moment. Check the Herald Sun newspaper for possible listings & maybe Craigslist?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 8,786 times
We are moving to Durham in January, my husband's new job is on the same zipcode

If you are looking at rental communities take a look at Artisan at Brightleaf. We have chosen that one based on commute and location. There's also a new elementary school in the area, Spring Valley Elementary. On January 12 DPS is having a fair of magnet and charter : "The 2013 Magnet Fair will be held January 12 from 10am-1pm at Southern High School."

Good Luck with your search!!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
Also there is a PAC2 group on Yahoo (not sure what PAC Stands for, but it is a police/citizens group). That encompasses our 'region' of the city. There is a monthly meeting & they put out minutes & details on things happening in the area (stores in the area applying for liquor licenses, repsonse to questions about animals/soliciting/home checks/etc).
Partners Against Crime. There is one set up for each police district in Durham (five in total), and each also has monthly meetings where you meet with officers from the district, as well as representatives from city departments such as parks & rec, zoning, etc.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria-moving View Post
If you are looking at rental communities take a look at Artisan at Brightleaf.
There are also rental houses in the zip code 27712 available on Realtor.com: 12 houses ranging in price from $950/month to $2200/month. Two at $1395 are in Treyburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary