Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,237,443 times

Advertisements

We got a bit of rain in Chapel Hill yesterday. Wasn't a whole lot, but enough to make things damp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,878,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I have a bunch of azaleas dying! At first I couldn't figure out why they were all turning yellow and then it dawned it on me that it hasn't rained! I never think about watering this time of year...
Mine are yellowing a bit too...like they usually do this time of year. I alway put about a bushel of "fine pine" around each one after I get all the leaves up from around them. They usually come back nice in late winter. They also compete with the gigantic oak they sit under. I'll keep a close eye on them anyway...thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,055,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Mine are yellowing a bit too...like they usually do this time of year. I alway put about a bushel of "fine pine" around each one after I get all the leaves up from around them. They usually come back nice in late winter. They also compete with the gigantic oak they sit under. I'll keep a close eye on them anyway...thanks for the heads up.
Yellowing/dropping of leaves is normal behavior for azaleas. We have a mix of evergreen and deciduous azaleas - many yellow leaves now but they'll be fine.
Unless they're newly planted, I wouldn't worry about watering.

Frank

Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,043,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Yellowing/dropping of leaves is normal behavior for azaleas. We have a mix of evergreen and deciduous azaleas - many yellow leaves now but they'll be fine.
Unless they're newly planted, I wouldn't worry about watering.

Frank
Mine have never, ever turned yellow and lost leaves in the 10 years I've lived in this house.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,055,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Mine have never, ever turned yellow and lost leaves in the 10 years I've lived in this house.
They may not have turned yellow, but I bet they've dropped leaves. Even evergreen azaleas do - If they didn't you would have leaves from the outer ends of each stem back to the root. White or pale pink colored azaleas tend toward yellowing leaves, the darker flowers tend towards red.
Unless the soil is really, really dry - or they're newly planted - water is not required.
Azaleas are vulnerable to a root rot fungus called Phytophthora and other fungal diseases. So well drained soil is best.

Frank

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,948,200 times
We've been in the Triangle for more than 13 years now, and at least half that time we've been in a drought. They seem to happen with distressing frequency here, and I'm not sure why. I know the mountains absorb a lot of the moisture as fronts pass over them, but you'd think we'd get more from the Atlantic. I've just resigned myself to having to drag the hose around every year or two.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM

9,764 posts, read 15,712,930 times
It rained tonight in Chapel Hill!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,102,039 times
Your rain dance worked, little mama.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,712,479 times
I'm reading this post and guess what? it's raining outside!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,150,981 times
We got a lot of rain yesterday. But for some odd reason I think Northern Wake County get a lot more rain than the southern part. I can use Falls Lake as a measuring stick of how dry it's been. It's a little low now, but nowhere near the drought stages we had a few years ago. The boat ramps are a very good measuring stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary