Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 PM

43 posts, read 85,879 times

Advertisements

Cary would probably be a great fit for you. If you are beach people, the wilmington area or the outer banks may be your style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Come visit. See what you think.

We retired here and love it. Weather is unbearably hot and humid for several months, but the tomatoes are tasty. The winter, though I hesitate to use that word as it doesn't seem to actually apply, is really more like months and months of fall and then a long sweet spring.

Wide variety of folks from all over, including a nice selection of rednecks. Some local. Some not. I was appalled by the hateful talk about homosexuality from the pulpit in several of the churches we attended around the time of the recent vote on marriage equality. That was an eye opener.

If you enjoy eating at great restaurants, you may want to look around closer to Durham. We didn't give it much thought, and now have a 45 minute drive to all our favorite restaurants.

But come visit. Rent a home through one of the vacation home rental places. Look around. Talk with folks. Shop at the grocery stores. Do the things you normally do. See what you think.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I am from CT and can't imagine living anywhere else now. Love the whole area, and people are wonderful here.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broebeck View Post
My husband and I are in our 50s/early 60s looking for a place to retire. San Antonio has weather that is too hot all year 'round, and , quite frankly--TOO MANY REDNECKS! We are both from the Northeast originally. We want better weather and more friends.

We are both young for our age and still keep up with current music, events (political and cultural) and news. I am in the healthcare field and should not have trouble finding a job. He is in healthcare/business/sales. We still intend to work for another 10-15 years. Not worried about finding a job as much as finding a place we want to spend the rest of our lives. Raleigh area or not???
Without going into detail, since I have given my opinion so many times on this question, PLEASE COME AND VISIT FOR AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLEY CAN, this is a very nice place but depending where you are moving from IT CAN BE VERY DIFFERENT, from what you are familiar with. If you have no family of freinds it can be VERY lonely, I will leave it at that, Best of luck in your retirement !

Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Love the whole area, and people are wonderful here.
Even some of us ole rednecks huh?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,822 times
Hello,
We are living in NY, and thinking of moving to NC or SC after we retire.
Before you moved to NC, did you look around SC?
What was main reason to pick NC?

Thanks,

Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasusfly View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
We wanted a change from South Florida after 30 years, (we were born & raised in NYC) thought I missed the seasons ( mainly Fall & Spring) so I requested a transfer with my job, Raleigh was one of the Southern cities I requested, the rest is history ! Do I enjoy how this place has to close down with 2 inches of snow, or the sometimes frequent black ice lately, or did I enjoy totaling my truck last year on a iced bridge NO ! Hence I want to return to Florida as soon as it is feasible for us !

Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasusfly View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
I recommend SC. Them rednecks down there will love you. LOL. Seriously everyone needs to come down several times before making a move after retiring. The more time you can spend in your new retirement area the better to make sure it is right for you. Best wishes!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I have a new friend here who complains about the rednecks where he used to live. He says that he de-rednecks his kid when they go back to visit family there. lol

Seriously, there are "rednecks" and other types of intolerant people everywhere. North Carolina is a beautiful state and many of the people are very friendly.

I'm originally from Chicago so I don't consider it cold here even in winter. However, the heat is crazy hot! I've been to your area though so it's probably comparable for you and certainly not as many months.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 AM

528 posts, read 935,342 times
Considering that you plan to work for another 10-15 years, then I think Raleigh could be a good fit in that, considering NC overall, there is a healthy job market. There are also many venues for live music and the area is getting better and better in terms of other cultural offerings, shopping, etc.

For when you actually retire, I think there are more exciting places to live than Raleigh; however, it can be a great base to explore many wonderful places that are within easy driving distance such as..
  • Wilmington - nice downtown area w/ shops, cultural offerings, riverfront
  • Wrightsville Beach - crowded in the summer, but to me, one of the best beaches in NC
  • The Outer Banks
  • Bald Head Island
  • Asheville, NC
  • NC mountains
  • South Carolina lowcountry - especially Charleston and Savannah - so beautiful, lots of history, great restaurants and shops
  • Washington, DC
  • Atlanta
  • Florida - not too bad of a drive, super quick plane ride, or split the difference and go by train
I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Love to travel; 04-23-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary