Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 AM

307 posts, read 672,915 times

Advertisements

We still use a landline for our home telephone. It is provided by AT&T. We're happy with the local service and are not going to change it at the moment. We have a VOIP line with free long distance for a second line. Unfortunately, the quality of the VOIP line is not as good as the quality of the copper AT&T line. Some numbers do not ring through.

For many years, we've used Big Red Wire as a long distance provider. Yesterday I noticed that they have increased their per-minute rates to an extravagant level (25¢ per minute for in state calls.) They're toast as of today. However, I have to select an alternate long distance carrier to replace them.

Can someone suggest a long distance carrier that serves the Raleigh area? There are hundreds of them, but most of them are poor quality resellers. A personal recommendation would be great, particularly to a service with unlimited long distance. BRW's service has been excellent, but their pricing is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Credo (formerly Working Assets) is great. Never had a issue with the quality, they use Sprint lines. Used them for years & years and they do good work too with donating a portion of profits to socially responsible organizations. Also a great mobile carrier and business. CREDO Long Distance

Last edited by hula; 12-19-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 AM

334 posts, read 867,574 times
VOIP not good? Hmm I have had Vonage for 5 years. Phone all over the US and other countries. The call quality is very good.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
VOIP not good? Hmm I have had Vonage for 5 years. Phone all over the US and other countries. The call quality is very good.
We have Vonage too for DH's business line - no issues.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 AM

342 posts, read 872,397 times
VOIP should be fine as long has you have the QoS correct or have it in front of other devices. That being said. Another option which uses Cellular (Verizon Network) but makes it work link a home phone.

Straight Talk Home Phone

This would not make you dependent on your internet connection and should give you call quality pretty close to copper.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the alternate suggestions, but I'm not looking to change my AT&T landline services at the moment.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM

342 posts, read 872,397 times
Here are some options

Long Distance Phone Service Comparison - SaveOnPhone.com

Northcarolina Intrastate Long Distance Phone Rates -- Provided By

Althought I would highly recommend alternatives as has been mentioned over AT&T

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM

It's amazing how things work out. Out of curiosity, I called AT&T to find out how much additional cost it would be to convert my landline to unlimited long distance while maintaining the same Complete Choice features I have. To my surprise, they lowered my monthly bill from $39 to $28 and added unlimited long distance for $7. My phone bill goes down by $4 per month by adding unlimited long distance.

If you have been paying AT&T for its Complete Choice package for a long time, like I have, you might want to call them and review your plan with them. Their number is 888-757-6500. It occurred to me that TimeWarner is offering local service for $39 per month with unlimited long distance, so I figured AT&T may have become competitive. They have.

It's aggravating that they lowered their prices without telling us, but all of the cell companies, cable companies, and phone companies seem to do that. It shows that it's a good idea to review your plans annually.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I know in VA whenever you added long distance on your line it was converted into a VOIP regardless.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM

236 posts, read 552,722 times
I use phone.com for local and long distance calling. The phone service works by using your internet connection. Cost per month is $24. The call clarity is really good and is based out of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary