Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 AM

9 posts, read 34,827 times

Advertisements

I recently ran over two nails that resulted in flat tires. On Wednesday, December 12, I noticed several cars on the side of 540, just past the on ramp from 40 East. Any chance that anyone else ran over nails, and possibly did so on 540?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
People run over nails all the time. What are trying to do? ID the nails?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
I agree with stantheman78.

I've had it happen several times over the years in a variety of locations including highway construction zones. Auto insurance doesn't cover it. Tire warranty doesn't cover it. Doubt seriously you'd get anywhere with a contractor in a construction zone or anyone you might think is responsible. It's one of those "too bad" situations in life.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I've pulled dozens and dozens of nails and screws out of my tires over the years. The roads are littered with them everywhere. I keep a plug kit in my car all the time to save myself a log of trouble if I have to make the repair myself. I also keep a small air compressor in the car as well.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I agree with stantheman78.

I've had it happen several times over the years in a variety of locations including highway construction zones. Auto insurance doesn't cover it. Tire warranty doesn't cover it. Doubt seriously you'd get anywhere with a contractor in a construction zone or anyone you might think is responsible. It's one of those "too bad" situations in life.
Discount Tire fixes or replaces their tires if you buy the warranties. If the tire is damaged on the sidewall they will replace the tire as long as they have some tread left. I've had nails and lots of other things patched from Discount Tire on several occasions. Last time was 2 weeks ago.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
Just be glad it wasn't in the sidewall...I had to buy a brand new tire on a car with 6K miles on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM

9 posts, read 34,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
People run over nails all the time. What are trying to do? ID the nails?
The sarcasm is not appreciated, and it shouldn't be difficult to understand the reasoning for the original post:

After the nail was discovered, a new tire was purchased at Just Tires. They inspected each of the other three at the time and found nothing. A week later....another nail in a different tire. Neither tire could be plugged.

I was trying to determine the location of the nail spill. Was it in my neighborhood? Parking lot at work? Somewhere else I frequent and could therefore avoid? Obviously, I'm not going to avoid 540, but as mentioned in the OP, it was curious that I saw that many disabled cars in one spot at the same time I found the nail.

It was an effort to reduce the chances of running over another nail, and therfore purchase more tires.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 AM

56 posts, read 84,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamtundra View Post
The sarcasm is not appreciated, and it shouldn't be difficult to understand the reasoning for the original post:

After the nail was discovered, a new tire was purchased at Just Tires. They inspected each of the other three at the time and found nothing. A week later....another nail in a different tire. Neither tire could be plugged.

I was trying to determine the location of the nail spill. Was it in my neighborhood? Parking lot at work? Somewhere else I frequent and could therefore avoid? Obviously, I'm not going to avoid 540, but as mentioned in the OP, it was curious that I saw that many disabled cars in one spot at the same time I found the nail.

It was an effort to reduce the chances of running over another nail, and therfore purchase more tires.
Even if there was a nail "spill", you will not be able to locate it by disabled cars as the effects from the nails will not be apparent until they are well past the location. Often it takes days for the air to leak out for people to notice. I have a nail in my tire right now that has been there since I noticed it a week ago. I am monitoring it and I will get it repaired this weekend.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamtundra View Post

I didnt perceive Stan was being sarcastic, just pointing out it going to be hard to determine the likely area that nails will be at.
Broken down cars isnt a way to determine either, as a nail puncture is a slow leak and may take hours before a tire is flat.

In my previous car I had a couple of nail punctures, and I am glad I bought the warranty so it could either be plugged or replace. I had few different instances that I had to use both.
Since I seem to be at higher odds of getting a nail, I dont think twice of getting the warranty. It just a part of life I have to deal with and try to avoid area that nails are more probable.

Getting a warranty on your tire purchase is best thing you can do.
If you feel the instances are happening close together pay attention if you are going in area there is construction going on such as home, road or parking near these type of workers vehicles.

Nail drops probably not going to be a lot together like a spill as you suggest but a random drop.

My issue now is my windshield, I had two repairs for rocks and now it looks like a fine paint mist is on it. I dont see it unless sun is shing directly, waiting on the next rock and have it replaced.

One thing I will stress avoid can of fix a flat, they cant plug with that stuff in the tire.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-04-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM

286 posts, read 685,394 times
I picked up two nails in the same month recently. I couldn't figure out if I picked them up driving around here or not. I travel quite a bit so it could be from anywhere in the state. I'm just glad I was able to have the tires plugged and didn't have to buy new ones yet. Tires are so expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary