Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times

Advertisements

Is the severe drought conditions affecting anyone's decision to move to the area? Seems like we have been in some form of a drought since the 2002 time frame. I am wondering if that is deterring anyone from settling in the triangle. As we are finding out more and more everyday this drought is making water a precious commodity. We complain about gas, food, and entertainment cost going up. I wonder when clean plentiful water prices will reflect its true value? Thank goodness we don't import water.....yet!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
To answer your question, it has affected my decision to move to the area. I began to get really concerned back at the end of August and now we have shifted gears completely as far as our prospective relocation. Making a bad matter worse, officials were so late in responding to the impending water crisis that it made me wonder how they would handle other issues as well. But now we are taking a serious look at Oregon as I have friends and family there already and have made many trips up to the Willamette Valley and to Portland. I know some people have a real problem with the endless overcast and gray there, but I have spend virtually my entire life in the sun and I have had about all I will ever need.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
We are close to the end of our journey to the Triangle so we are coming regardless. It has made me a tad more comfortable that we are relocating to Johnson County which appears to not be in as bad a shape as Wake etc. I am curious about the long term impact it will have on the issuance of permits etc etc. Mother Nature is more powerful then market conditions.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We are close to the end of our journey to the Triangle so we are coming regardless. It has made me a tad more comfortable that we are relocating to Johnson County which appears to not be in as bad a shape as Wake etc. I am curious about the long term impact it will have on the issuance of permits etc etc. Mother Nature is more powerful then market conditions.
Just so you know, the water here is not handled by county, but by each individual community. That's why Raleigh is about to start a ban for all outdoor watering, but Cary is not. According to an article posted in another thread, Cary currently has 260 days worth of water in their reserves, so it's easy to understand why they haven't altered their irrigation rules.

Just FYI.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,336 times
And note Raleigh isn't the only place in the country with water issues. Before we moved here I was open to basically anywhere in the country with affordable housing, lots of sun, no horrendous winter weather, good schools, a fairly urban area, and no constant threats of serious natural disasters. That whittled down the list significantly and other than the occassional hurricaine Raleigh stacked up nicely, water issues included.

Note that the water issues are seemingly overblown, though I'm not dismissing the severity of a drought which is real and conservation is required. But the media rarely, if ever, gives you all of the facts. It's not like in 100 days your faucets will run dry, even with no rain at all.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 AM

709 posts, read 934,960 times
[quote=gastric;. It's not like in 100 days your faucets will run dry, even with no rain at all.[/QUOTE]

Uh it might!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Default Thank You For the Clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Just so you know, the water here is not handled by county, but by each individual community. That's why Raleigh is about to start a ban for all outdoor watering, but Cary is not. According to an article posted in another thread, Cary currently has 260 days worth of water in their reserves, so it's easy to understand why they haven't altered their irrigation rules.

Just FYI.
Thank you for the clarification. If you could please either here or in IM give me some more specifics so I can better understand how water is distributed. I am coming from a very county specific form of government so I am probably making connections I should not be.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM

47 posts, read 91,226 times
The drought has definitely caught my attention. I was investigating Pinehurst as my new 2nd home but have decided to include Southern Pines in my search as they seem to have better water resources.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

229 posts, read 1,054,157 times
This too shall pass. Local officials will get involved and we will find a solution to the current crisis. I must admit, it certainly doesn't look appealing to clients when they tour the area. At least not today.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Where's HAARP? I thought they could manipulate weather patterns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary