Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnuzzo View Post
I have tried the Anthony and Sons at Lowes, and it is quite good, esp if you put it in the oven at 350 for 15 min before serving. Other than that, there's a baker at the Farmers market on Saturdays who has GREAT bread. Just get there early, cause there's always a line, and they sell out early. Oh, and her scones are excellent too.....
Which Farmer's Market? (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh?) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I did a search but nothing stood out -

I am dying for Chicago italian beef sandwiches and found some recipes, and I know you need a certain kind of bread (chewy, can stand up to drenching with gravy) - is there a place that sells that around here? Bread that would stand up to a good sausage and peppers sandwich as well :-)

I will drive quite far to get this bread! Thanks!
I'm from Chicago too and crave those beef sandwiches too. There is a restaurant in Wake Forest now called "Old Chicago" and they make a pretty decent beef sandwich. Only thing is it's smothered with the hot pepper mix, so ask for it on the side. Also need to ask for a side of red sauce too. Their pizza is not what I'd call Chicago taste wise. If you crave any other Chicago foods let me know as I had found lots of others in the area.

Old Chicago Website (broken link)

Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I'm from Chicago too and crave those beef sandwiches too. There is a restaurant in Wake Forest now called "Old Chicago" and they make a pretty decent beef sandwich. Only thing is it's smothered with the hot pepper mix, so ask for it on the side. Also need to ask for a side of red sauce too. Their pizza is not what I'd call Chicago taste wise. If you crave any other Chicago foods let me know as I had found lots of others in the area.

Old Chicago Website (broken link)
NICE!!! I am totally going there. I only went to kindergarten just outside of Chicago so I'm not from there - but so many Chicagoans head down I-75 and relocate to the west coast of FL that I learned about the food there.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
NICE!!! I am totally going there. I only went to kindergarten just outside of Chicago so I'm not from there - but so many Chicagoans head down I-75 and relocate to the west coast of FL that I learned about the food there.
Also, if you crave a Chicago style hot dog you can find them at Cloo's in Raleigh off Western Blvd. in Mission Valley. Sometimes he's out of the Chicago made Vienna all-beef dogs and the substitute he uses is not very good IMO so I sometimes call ahead. If you want to buy Chicago all-beef dogs to cook at home Costco carries Sinai Kosher dogs and BJ's has Best kosher dogs, both made in Chicago. They are both good and very similar to Vienna.

Hope you enjoy...

Old 10-17-2007, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 32,789 times
Tony Roma has a bakery here somewhere. Perhaps, in Cary or Apex. He is from Endicott NY and owns a bakery there. The water isn't the same here so unless someone brings it down, good luck. I have been here 8 yrs and can't get a real bagel anywhere!

Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 PM

213 posts, read 936,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdiaz View Post
Tony Roma has a bakery here somewhere. Perhaps, in Cary or Apex. He is from Endicott NY and owns a bakery there. The water isn't the same here so unless someone brings it down, good luck. I have been here 8 yrs and can't get a real bagel anywhere!

Well, they do say that the secret ingredient is in the water.

Seriously though, is it really the water that makes the difference? I've also heard it is the use of cheaper ingredients and not hot enough stoves.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:29 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Believe it or not, we love the fresh made bread at Costco! And we are from up north, so we know of which we speak...try it!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Countdown...2 days until my attempt at recreating italian beef...and then I will go buy it in Wake Forest.

(food makes me happy)

Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,630 times
I don't know if it's appropriate to post it here (not a baking forum), but if anyone is interested, I can email you a recipe for Italian bread that is incredibly good. Will beat what you get at the supermarket hands down. It's super easy (no kneading needed), and as weird as it looks in the process, the loaf bakes out to be crusty/golden brown on the outside and tender/chewy on the inside - and delicious. Let me know.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 AM

15 posts, read 37,107 times
Ferlo's Alimentari on Capital. They say it's good for "zopping".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary