Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 35,036 times

Advertisements

Hi. My wife and I thought we'd like to spend a few days (one night) in Raleigh. I'm thinking that I'd like to get a room downtown so I don't have to drive when I get there. So my questions are:
- Is this a good idea? Is downtown Raleigh safe?
- Is there enough to do for a day or two? We enjoy museums and would like to go to a bar to hear some live music.
- Do you recommend a nice (but not expensive, under $100 a night) hotel?
- If downtown isn't the best place do you have a suggestion for an alternate place?

Thanks for your help!

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulfw View Post
Hi. My wife and I thought we'd like to spend a few days (one night) in Raleigh. I'm thinking that I'd like to get a room downtown so I don't have to drive when I get there. So my questions are:
- Is this a good idea? Is downtown Raleigh safe?
- Is there enough to do for a day or two? We enjoy museums and would like to go to a bar to hear some live music.
- Do you recommend a nice (but not expensive, under $100 a night) hotel?
- If downtown isn't the best place do you have a suggestion for an alternate place?

Thanks for your help!

Paul
There's a Marriott right at the bottom of Fayetteville Street, which would put you in the middle of things , the R Line bus is great for getting around downtown and its free, hop on and off.

Music depends on the night(s) 42nd street and napper tandy have live bands on Fridays. There are a bunch of restaurants and bars in downtown. The museums are great but, again we dont know when you are visiting. Try the segway tour of downtown. I've done that and its fun

Downtown's as safe as most cities, just have your wits about you like anywhere.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the info. Actually we were planning on going tomorrow night (1/3/13) so I was hoping I'd get a fast reply. I'll check the location of the Museum of Natural Sciences and see if there's bands playing tomorrow night.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
The problem is I don't think the Marriott will hit the price point you're looking for. It's a pretty new hotel and I believe rooms are in the $150+ range. You may want to look at the Days Inn Raleigh Downtown (Days Inn - Raleigh Downtown | Raleigh, NC *27603 Hotel) - it's a short walk from there to the museums. It's a little further away from Fayetteville St., South Glenwood, or the Warehouse District, but downtown is easy enough to get around either by driving or walking.

There's also the Clarion State Capitol (Downtown Raleigh Hotels, Raleigh NC Hotel - Clarion Hotel in Raleigh NC) - it's pretty much the most centrally located hotel in downtown - easy to walk to the restaurant and bars on South Glenwood and Fayetteville St. Still a little further away from the ones in the Warehouse District, though.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,230 times
I love the Marriott, but for cheaper options look at the brand new Hampton Inn in Glenwood South, or the Clarion. Both are walkable to everything downtown (or Rline) and should be more reasonable. HInn is IN Glenwood South, which is a big bar/restaurant district, particularly for the "younger" crowd (I'm 53 and still go there for some favs like Zely & Ritz, O sushi, the 511, Rockford, etc.

Check out this site for a good map: Downtown Raleigh :: You R Here

Check out this for who is playing where: Indy Week | Music

There is a great band playing Pour House on Friday. Gravy Boys. It is bluegrass, sorta, played by Italian brothers from NY (hence, the Gravy ref). The Pour House Music Hall :: Downtown Raleigh, NC

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Well I was hoping for a little info but this is great! It looks like the Clarion has the best balance of location and price. I'll look at some of those links too.
Thanks again, this has been a big help!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulfw View Post
Well I was hoping for a little info but this is great! It looks like the Clarion has the best balance of location and price. I'll look at some of those links too.
Thanks again, this has been a big help!

Yeah, DT Raleigh is great. Most of your questions have been answered, I second the following:
Clarion is cheap, not that fancy, but a good place to stay
R-line is free
DT is safe to walk
Independent has a GREAT search tool for live music.

I might check out the gravy-boys, sounds fun. Pour House usually has something almost every night, as does Tir Na Nog, LIncoln Theater and a few others.

For food, I might suggest (if you are a little adventurous and like trying stuff) going to Sitti. One of my favorite places to take a date. Just order several appetizers and eat "Tappas Style" (even though it's not really a tappas place). Really good, well made, locally sourced food with excellent service and a good bar.

If you want something more divey, try either Brewmasters (good beer list, good burgers) or Flying Saucer (EXCELLENT beer list, decent bar food) or any of the places along the way. If you're not from NC, and want to try something local, a lot would recommend The Pit (NC BBQ, and also other regions), I've never been there, but it rates high.

And so many other places. THe NC Science Museum is an AWESOME daytime thing to do, and the NC history museum is right in accross the sidewalk. Seguay tour is a good idea if the day is nice. A walk through historic Oakwood community and the graveyard is pretty dang cool too, if you're into that sort of thing.

EDIT>>> OH, and Friday is first friday. ALways a fun time, the art studios all open up, usually give out free food or snacks, sometimes wine or beer, and there is all kinds of stuff going on in the street. Last time I was there, they had fire hula hoops and jugglers, drum circles, live bands, and beer trucks. How awesome is THAT?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
We stayed at the Clarion two years ago and it was nice. You'll be within walking distance of the museums, Glenwood South, and the Flying Saucer. Easy to catch the R-Line from there as well. Download the R-Line app for your phone and never have to guess when the bus is coming.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
A second (more like a fourth?) for the Clarion. It's nothing fancy but it's in a good location, inexpensive, and as safe as any downtown. Arthur's restaurant on the top floor has a breakfast buffet that is reasonably priced, reasonably tasty, and has great views. You're like three blocks from both Glenwood South and the museums. The Natural Science museum is my favorite and they just finished a major expansion that I haven't checked out yet. There's a state history museum next door, and a city museum on Fayetteville Street as well.

Raleigh ain't New York, but you should be able to find plenty of things to keep you busy for two days and a night.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Yeah, don't stay in that Days Inn! The Clarion is perfectly fine (formerly a Holiday Inn) and centrally-located. Glenwood South, just a few blocks over (though probably not a good walking idea, due to unfamiliarity and cold) is a hotspot for clubs, restaurants, etc though downtown itself (Fayetteville St) has the same, plus the State Capitol Building, which you would want to see in the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary