U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM

54 posts, read 113,354 times

Advertisements

I think I may have a virus on my desktop - I would rather have someone else do their magic instead of me trying to download software and search for viruses - I would really like to not uninstall the OS - but if all else fails - I am an online college student starting classes in a week - I need a working, reliable computer. Any suggestions, perhaps someone on the forum that deal with computers, or any good experiences with any local companies. All suggestions much appreciated.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,143,286 times
Absolute Computers in Cary is great - took my laptop to them when it had a hard drive issue and they resolved the issue quickly and, more importantly, called me before they did any repairs to let me know what my options were, how much the repair would cost, and to get my consent. They're definitely who I'd take my computer to for anything I couldn't handle myself. They specifically offer virus and malware removal services

Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM

4,360 posts, read 4,974,866 times
Before you pay someone, download and run Malwarebytes. They have both a pay and a free version. The free version usually takes care of most things.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

117 posts, read 267,589 times
Default Computer repair

I really have had good luck with Digital Information Systems 919-828-2300 with computer repairs and viruses. Malwarebytes might work as another poster suggested.

- Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally601 View Post
I think I may have a virus on my desktop - I would rather have someone else do their magic instead of me trying to download software and search for viruses - I would really like to not uninstall the OS - but if all else fails - I am an online college student starting classes in a week - I need a working, reliable computer. Any suggestions, perhaps someone on the forum that deal with computers, or any good experiences with any local companies. All suggestions much appreciated.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM

370 posts, read 539,403 times
Agreed on Absolute Computers! I had a computer meltdown, it was non-repairable. They tried several different ways to save the data, and could not, without going to some $500 method. They called through the process, to see if I wanted to proceed. When it got to the $500 level, I told them to stop trying. Not only did they ask first, they did not charge me anything, since, as they said, they didn't do anything for me. They now have a customer for life; that sort of customer service is so rare any more.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,310,972 times
Look, go to soundbytes.org and click the link to the Security Tango, on the left side under the Poll. It describes a virus-scanning routine that is probably far more comprehensive than the get-em-in-and-get-em-out shops do. And you can do it yourself. And it doesn't cost anything.

It'll take all day. Block out time for it.

These guys are computer geeks par excellence; They've had a computer radio show for decades that is not only entertaining but frighteningly knowledgeable. And there are no commercials. I recommend it.

S

Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM

128 posts, read 322,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Before you pay someone, download and run Malwarebytes. They have both a pay and a free version. The free version usually takes care of most things.
Check out these guys, BooSnap Computer Services, Inc.

But in all honesty..... save yourself money and run a combination of Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. Both of these products are free and easy to install. Just be sure that you download the latest updates for them if they don't automatically do it. If that doesn't work, go ahead and pay a professional.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM

13,689 posts, read 23,938,846 times
If you have the discs or a partition (newer computer) just transfer the files you want to keep off and reformat. Takes about an hour. Let's put it this way I haven't had a anti-virus on my computers for roughly half a decade and have gotten maybe 2 viruses, the Google kind that redirect your search clicks. Annoying. But way less annoying to reformat when it happens then have some anti-virus on my computer slowing it down.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM

4,360 posts, read 4,974,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you have the discs or a partition (newer computer) just transfer the files you want to keep off and reformat. Takes about an hour. Let's put it this way I haven't had a anti-virus on my computers for roughly half a decade and have gotten maybe 2 viruses, the Google kind that redirect your search clicks. Annoying. But way less annoying to reformat when it happens then have some anti-virus on my computer slowing it down.
The drawback to that is you have to reinstall all the apps, and run the updates. Windows Updates can require many restarts.

An easy to visit "questionable" web sites without worry for viruses, is to run VMPlayer and an OS such as Ubuntu. It's fairly easy to install and comes with Firefox.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM

29 posts, read 51,605 times
Ally601 -

First, I agree with any others who have suggested downloading a free trial of MalwareBytes and running it first. IF, that does not do the trick, and a Google search of the virus to see if there are any fixes out there, you will have no choice but to backup your data, re-partition, format, re-install your OS, and put back your data. Then run a full virus scan, and test your programs. Should take about 5 hours.

A computer store will charge minimally $150.00 (to start) and you will need to provide all your copies of software disks so they can re-install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally601 View Post

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-08-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary