Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,603 times

Advertisements

When we were getting Uverse tv it was fine. We just didn't watch enough tv to justify paying for a cable service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I'm a long time (and I do mean LONG TIME) Tivo afficionado.. surprisingly I'm pretty happy with the U-verse DVR. The web interface is easy to use, and so far it hasn't missed recording any of my series. I also love the wireless box for my 2nd TV.

Anyhow, for superfast internet, TWC is really your only option. I think I get 18MBps down with U-Verse, but that'll drop if I'm recording TV shows.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,793 times
We had TWC for a while, and we just had too many problems with their customer service and billing practices. They frequently made mistakes on our bill, and it took up to six months to fix some of them and get money back.

It just so happens that on a day my fiance had a lengthy (and terrible) phone call with TWC, a salesman for AT&T U-Verse came to the door. Normally we would have turned him away, but given the TWC situation we heard him out, and ended up switching to AT&T U-Verse. We've been extremely happy with them. We got a pretty low tier of internet service, and haven't had any problems (and I like to stream sports, there's been no lag)... the cable service is pretty neat too, we have one main receiver and another wireless one for our bedroom. You can record up to 4 standard shows on the DVR (vs 2 with TWC) or 3 HD ones.

We had a couple of problems initially and a tech came out within 2 hours both times at no charge.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, we love AT&T U-verse. It's available in most but not all areas of Raleigh.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
You can get Earthlink cable Internet. It's still using Time Warner Cable infrastructure but they are a bit cheaper for Internet only than TWC I think. If you can get Uverse in your area they have decently fast Internet but AT&T seems to have abandoned any efforts to expand it now.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,897 times
DISH's Hopper/Joey system is way better in my experience. I have them and AT&T DSL (6/.5M) at my house. I refuse to give TWC any money at all here.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,050 times
Can someone please clarify the Time Warner Cable and Earthlink relationship? We set up phone through Earthlink and internet through TWC years ago. Our bills have crept up. We decided to move all services to AT&T due to cost and speed. When I called TWC to cancel service, they said that I needed to call Earthlink. When I asked what they were providing for the $60/month we've been paying, the representative said she honestly didn't know. When the two companies split, older customers were shuttled over to Earthlink. Has anyone else had this experience. PS It took four calls to get through to TWC. I was hung up on three times after waiting for a long time. When I finally did reach someone, she said I don't know why you're paying $60 a month. Call Earthlink and see if they do.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiisaO View Post
Can someone please clarify the Time Warner Cable and Earthlink relationship? We set up phone through Earthlink and internet through TWC years ago. Our bills have crept up. We decided to move all services to AT&T due to cost and speed. When I called TWC to cancel service, they said that I needed to call Earthlink. When I asked what they were providing for the $60/month we've been paying, the representative said she honestly didn't know. When the two companies split, older customers were shuttled over to Earthlink. Has anyone else had this experience. PS It took four calls to get through to TWC. I was hung up on three times after waiting for a long time. When I finally did reach someone, she said I don't know why you're paying $60 a month. Call Earthlink and see if they do.
This might help.....

EarthLink, Time Warner Cable extend access deal

I just switched from TWC to Earthlink for Internet...we do not have any cable TV. I called Earthlink to set up my account and they then transferred me over to a TWC rep to handle the "installation" which was nothing more than resetting the modem to complete the transition.

Even though I'm on Earthlink, TWC still does the monthly billing, so I'd suggest that you call Earthlink. If all else fails just stop paying the bill and someone will eventually contact you...but that's probably not the best way to handle this situation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary