Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM

43 posts, read 119,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
None in NC. The Ivy League feeder schools are mainly the northeastern prep schools which serve WASP bluebloods like Choate, Andover, Exeter, etc.
My brother went to Cary Academy and from what I can tell, they send the majority of their graduates to Ivy League. NC School of Math & Science has a similar record. I'm not sure about the other private schools, but Ivy League feeders aren't exclusive to NE prep schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumina View Post
My brother went to Cary Academy and from what I can tell, they send the majority of their graduates to Ivy League. NC School of Math & Science has a similar record. I'm not sure about the other private schools, but Ivy League feeders aren't exclusive to NE prep schools.
Let's be honest here. It's money and names that get most kids into Ivy League Schools.

Beyond that, talking academics? You can apply for a magnet school and if you're thinking Ivy based on intellect and grades alone, that should get a kid in just as easily as money paid for private school tuition. IF the kid in question is brilliant and capable, not just from a wealthy enough family that private school is affordable.

Quite a few people from my Enloe High graduating class were accepted to Ivy League schools. Even more to Duke. Most had academic scholarships, too.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Most of the CA kids we have known end up going to Duke or UNC.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Let's be honest here. It's money and names that get most kids into Ivy League Schools.

Beyond that, talking academics? You can apply for a magnet school and if you're thinking Ivy based on intellect and grades alone, that should get a kid in just as easily as money paid for private school tuition. IF the kid in question is brilliant and capable, not just from a wealthy enough family that private school is affordable.

Quite a few people from my Enloe High graduating class were accepted to Ivy League schools. Even more to Duke. Most had academic scholarships, too.
The kids I know from those schools did not get into Ivy League via money or names. Definitely not my brother, but then he was attending CA on a full scholarship and is going to an Ivy on one as well. My impression of Enloe and other magnet schools is that the current education drama in this area makes for rough going. I know of several graduates of these schools who tell me that the quality of education have gone down significantly - but I can't say definitively because I didn't grow up around here.

I'm not looking to get into a debate between private vs. public education, I'm doing fine with a public education (without AP or IB even). Only correcting the original statement.

Quote:
Most of the CA kids we have known end up going to Duke or UNC.
Duke ranks with the top Ivies and UNC is a top (cheap) public school, so I'm not surprised. But then when I hear 'Ivy League' I assume people actually care about top universities, vs. the random designation which is only a subset of the top universities.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Both schools are excellent, but they are not what people are referring to when they say Ivy League.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Both schools are excellent, but they are not what people are referring to when they say Ivy League.
I'll give you UNC, but Duke as well? I suspect there are many people who (mistakenly) think Duke is Ivy League.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 PM

257 posts, read 491,460 times
Default SAS and CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumina View Post
Isn't Cary Academy affiliated with SAS? I was told a while back the SAS owners founded Cary Academy. If so, do SAS employees' get discounted or free tuition at the school for their kids as a company benefit?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Yes. Goodnight did start the school supposedly originally for SAS employees, but there weren't enough to fill up the school so they opened it up to everyone. I don't actually think they get discounted tuition, (it's definitley not free). The do offer several SAS scholarships to CA for children of SAS employees. We went through the application process several years ago and they didn't even ask if you are a SAS employee or anything.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 11,668 times
Do Private schools here provide transportation? One thing is to pay the tution... but fighting through traffic would be difficult as well...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I believe it is less about names and $$$ and more about knowing how to position your child to be considered a strong candidate for the Ivies or for any top-tier college. Those that went or are surrounded by people who have kids accepted have a better idea of the type of 'stuff' it takes to get in and be successful.

There is no 'magic' formula for getting admitted to an Ivy or any school like it but there are steps to take to be considered a strong enough candidate to apply.

I also think the college counselors at the private schools are more aware of the fit between a student's strengths (& weaknesses) and the schools that they *should* apply to and steer the students toward better fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary