Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times

Advertisements

So, we had most of the open part of our very open plan home (3 story foyer, 2 story family room, lots of open walls for stairways, etc.) painted back in October. We were very happy for the most part. So we hired the same company back a couple of weeks ago to do the bathrooms and a couple of bedrooms. While doing the bathrooms they 1) broke two of the shades/globes on one of the lighting fixtures over the mirror and they also managed to knock out the electricity to all of the bathrooms--as in, none of the in-bathroom outlets work.

I figured out who makes the lighting fixture and they don't sell directly. I'm trying to find it online (anyone have a good priced online lighting store?) or will ave it ordered locally.

As for the electrical, the company owner told us to r east the bathroom gfi switches on the breaker box (we did) or the general "gfi" switch (we did). None of it worked. And the kitchen GFI outlets are fine.

Do I call an electrician for this? Any ideas what it is? I couldn't find a really ret electrician recommendation--anyone have someone who irresponsible and gets it done on time and budget? Our intercom system is on the fritz, too, so I figured I'd get that fixed at the same time.

FWIW, I did contact the painting company owner and he replied with the invoice. No comments on the problems. I'm deeply disappointed b/c I really liked him and the painters he sent out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
So, we had most of the open part of our very open plan home (3 story foyer, 2 story family room, lots of open walls for stairways, etc.) painted back in October. We were very happy for the most part. So we hired the same company back a couple of weeks ago to do the bathrooms and a couple of bedrooms. While doing the bathrooms they 1) broke two of the shades/globes on one of the lighting fixtures over the mirror and they also managed to knock out the electricity to all of the bathrooms--as in, none of the in-bathroom outlets work.

I figured out who makes the lighting fixture and they don't sell directly. I'm trying to find it online (anyone have a good priced online lighting store?) or will ave it ordered locally.

As for the electrical, the company owner told us to r east the bathroom gfi switches on the breaker box (we did) or the general "gfi" switch (we did). None of it worked. And the kitchen GFI outlets are fine.

Do I call an electrician for this? Any ideas what it is? I couldn't find a really ret electrician recommendation--anyone have someone who irresponsible and gets it done on time and budget? Our intercom system is on the fritz, too, so I figured I'd get that fixed at the same time.

FWIW, I did contact the painting company owner and he replied with the invoice. No comments on the problems. I'm deeply disappointed b/c I really liked him and the painters he sent out.

Reading your post, I still think it is the ground fault receptacle outlet that controls all your bathroom outlets.
It is totally separate from the kitchen, so that is not an issue.

It will look like this:
gfci receptacle image - Bing Images=

It is probably in the bathroom closest to the breaker panel, or in the garage near the breaker panel. If tripped, it will kill power to all the other outlets on that circuit, usually all bathrooms, exterior, and garage outlets.
Find it. Press the RESET button, and see if that doesn't power you up.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Ok, I will look! I know the baths I looked in didn't have an outlet like that--I was looking for that initially. Ten I saw the bathroom switch on the breaker panel and a GFI label on another....flipped those with no luck. So you think there is just one somewhere I need to reset?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Ok, I will look! I know the baths I looked in didn't have an outlet like that--I was looking for that initially. Ten I saw the bathroom switch on the breaker panel and a GFI label on another....flipped those with no luck. So you think there is just one somewhere I need to reset?
Yes.
I think there is another one you overlooked. Mine is right below the panel box.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM

You're my hero! It was in the 1/2 bath! Can you,come fix my intercom?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
The GFCI reset is a button on the breaker, so you'll need to push that button to reset the GFCI. The breaker itself controls power to the circuit so by only turning the breaker off/on does not reset the GFCI which is why that isn't working for you because the GFCI button needs to be reset.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
Dont pay the painter till your happy and he replaces the lights.

He will be responsive if he needs his money.

If you paid him already, that was stupid.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Since many lights are cheap Asian junk, there may be no parts available.

If you can find one on another light to bring in for matching, a lighting store can help if it's a standard type.

Make the painter pay for parts or new fixtures.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The GFCI reset is a button on the breaker, so you'll need to push that button to reset the GFCI. The breaker itself controls power to the circuit so by only turning the breaker off/on does not reset the GFCI which is why that isn't working for you because the GFCI button needs to be reset.
There are GFCI breakers and GFCI outlets. There should not be both on the same circuit.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
I did the same thing..I went without many outlets for days and when the electrician came
he found a GFCI in my laundry room that was switched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary