Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM

96 posts, read 189,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
We stopped eating them completely if they come from China (which most affordable ones do).
Cheap Chinese pine nut exports blamed for rare condition - Telegraph
Italian and Mediteranean ones are expensive but worth it if you're goign to enjoy them.
I apparently have this condition (though I eat pine nuts regularly).

I got some cheapies from Costco once and had this happen. Yuck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,292,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I make something similar to that. Sweet potato and sage ravioli with asparagus and country ham in a maple cream sauce topped with toasted pecans. Though these days pecans can be as expensive as pine nuts!
Check out my post upthread; pecans are cheap at Whole Foods. $4.99 for 2 cups chopped.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,948,448 times
Sounds like a disease an Ent might come down with.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 427 times
Beware of severe allergic reactions to pine nuts from China! My wife has made pesto with pine nuts for years, and I loved it and never had a problem. She would buy the large bags of Kirkland pine nuts from Costco. A large bag would last her a couple of years when stored in the refrigerator.

Then two years ago, she bought a new bag of Kirkland pine nuts from Costco and made pesto. I had an immediate reaction, my throat swelled partially shut and it was hard to breathe after one little bite. I took four Benadryl and a couple of hours later I was fine. I checked the package labeling on the pine nuts and found that it was from China. I was 60 at the time and have never had a nut allergy in my life. A few months later at a family dinner the same thing happened to me when pesto made with the same type of Costco pine nuts was served on noodles without my knowledge. I had a much greater reaction as I consumed a larger portion before I realized the problem, not only did it become hard to breathe but my face around my eyes swelled up as if I had been punched repeatedly. Six Benedryl and a day later I was OK.

Two days later I did a test. We also had a new purchase of Kirkland assorted nut packages in the house, the ones that come in a box of 24 with separated bags of peanuts, almonds, and cashews. We kept them for the kids, but I ate them on occasion. The peanut bags were labeled "processed in China", the others...almonds and cashews were not from China. I ate five peanuts and waited. Within 10 minutes I had a reaction. Two Benadryl and one hour later I was fine.

It is now two years later. I still eat pine nuts, peanuts and every other kind of nut without a single reaction; but I check the label at the store before I purchase. If it is processed in China, I do not buy it. So please be aware, I do not believe that it is the nuts that are the problem. Instead I believe it is something in the processing of the nuts in China that I am allergic too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary