Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times

Advertisements

Title really says it all. I think I'd like the metro overall and know its supposed to be a rather progressive metro with Chapel Hill and such. I'm wondering what the area around Cary is. I know often if you go 10 minutes outside of the progressive center you end up in a much more traditional, conservative type of place. Is that the case in Cary?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but I'd rather be in a more progressive area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,025,927 times
traditional/conservative for the *most* part. (not everyone!)

Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times
Where would be the nearest part of the metro that is more on the progressive side?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM

It's hard to stereotype each area, but for a really liberal feel around the triangle, Carborro is it (Hillsborough too to somewhat). "Progressive" feel is Chapel Hill, Durham is getting there in some parts and central Raleigh around the NCSU in pockets as well.
However except for Raleigh and Durham, the others areas don't have a Metropolitan feel. They are smaller towns.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-07-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,850,223 times
There's no magic to decoding, this really.

All things being equal, the South tends to be somewhat more conservative than the Northeast. Blended areas with lots of population influx from other parts of the country are not going to be as traditionally Southern/conservative as more homogeneous parts of the South.

College towns tend to be more liberal than other areas, regardless of what part of the country they are in.

Areas with high socio-economic status tend to be somewhat more conservative - true in the South as it is in the North.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,208,972 times
You can look at county by county maps of recent elections and see that Wake county is pretty mixed, usually voting along a 52/48 split for the progressive, but sometimes flipping that and going for the conservative option. Durham county is solidly Democratic and so is Orange County (Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Hillsborough). Chatham County is somewhat progressive in spots like Pittsboro, but sometimes votes conservative. While voting records aren't a complete picture of whether a town is progressive in its policies, since many policies are not put up for a vote by the citizens, I think they are a good indicator. They show the kinds of people the citizens are willing to put into office.

Check out Interactive map: 2012 NC and US election results :: WRAL.com and check the counties button and the governor's race and you can see that Orange Co voted 65%/32% for the democratic candidate for governor (Walter Dalton who lost quite overwhelmingly) and Durham county voted 70/20 for the democrat, while Wake Co (Raleigh, Cary, etc) voted 49/48 for the Republican (who handily won the state). It's pretty obvious that Durham and Orange are the most liberal places in the Triangle. Carrboro and Chapel Hill and Durham are all very progressive. I don't know about Hillsborough, though. Although it is in Orange County there are plenty of conservatives up there. I'd say that one's a pretty mixed bag.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM

848 posts, read 1,111,788 times
LOL. Conservative.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,951,612 times
Based on precinct maps, Cary is quite left-leaning compared to most of the rest of the state. It would only look conservative compared to Raleigh proper or Durham or Chapel Hill.

Amendment 1:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GAL...12_2_06_17.png
2008 election:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GAL...10_8_06_20.png

Some of Raleigh's other suburbs like Garner, Wake Forest, and Holly Springs are quite right-leaning.

Note that red and blue are reversed on those maps.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM

848 posts, read 1,111,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Based on precinct maps, Cary is quite left-leaning compared to most of the rest of the state. It would only look conservative compared to Raleigh proper or Durham or Chapel Hill.

Amendment 1:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GAL...12_2_06_17.png
2008 election:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GAL...10_8_06_20.png

Raleigh's other suburbs like Garner, Wake Forest, Zebulon, Fuquay Varina, and Holly Springs are all right-leaning.

Note that red and blue are reversed on those maps.
Good points. I can't figure out if NC is drifting Right or Left? I think it's more solidly middle of the road politically compared to our neighbors but lately it seems to less "progessive" than it was historically compared to our neighbors. It seems like we are becoming more like South Carolina than Virginia...politically at least. Obviously, this subject is WIDE open for interpretation/discussion...

Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Compared ot the rest of the state, sure it's left leaning!
However, cary has a very traditional feel. Not so much of a conservative political feel, but a "traditional" feel. You know, family of 4, a dog, a house with a a wooden play set, a SUV or moini-van, gym membership, and a preschool on every corner.
However LOVE going to Carborro and Hillsborugh to get my crunchy on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary