Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times

Advertisements

Spent a few days driving around last year, and now my wife and I are looking around again in a few weeks. I used Neighborhood Scout this time to start, and here are the top 13 results. Since we have no local knowledge at all, any comments or suggestions (wish list below) would be most welcome...

1 Cary, NC (Wakehurst Dr / Wedgemere St)
2 Raleigh, NC (Sycamore Rd / Leesville Rd)
3 Raleigh, NC (Falls Of Neuse Rd / Haymarket Ln)
4 Cary, NC (Swiss Lake Dr / Bond Lake Dr)
5 Cary, NC (Modena Dr / Giverny Pl)
6 Cary, NC (Jenks Carpenter Rd / High House Rd)
7 Durham, NC (Blands)
8 Morrisville, NC (Route 55 / Good Hope Church Rd)
9 Cary, NC (Upchurch)
10 Carrboro, NC (Hillsborough Rd / N Greensboro St)
11 Cary, NC (High House Rd / Davis Dr)
12 Apex, NC (Silky Dogwood Trl / White Dogwood Rd)
13 Chapel Hill, NC (Drew Hill Ln / Old Sterling Dr)

From an earlier post, our basic wish list: We're open to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill et al. Are there truly walkable neighborhoods where we can buy a nice, small (1800 sf plus or minus), move-in ready 3/2 for $300K or less? By walkable we mean easy walking or biking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and/or library. We currently live in a classic suburb where we have to jump in a car for absolutely everything, and don't want that situation again. Would prefer a small lot and high energy efficient features would be desirable (which probably means newer construction). Looking forward to the trip, and hope to make good use of the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Keep in mind that North Raleigh has always been somewhat suburban.

Cary WAS just the bedroom community to Raleigh and as it expanded, it pushed into Apex.

So...walkability seems to be a new "want" for buyer and many neighborhoods have shopping within the n'hood (Bedford, Falls River, for example).

Having explained all that, your best bet would be a larger neighborhood with shopping within biking/walking distance. That shouldn't be a problem finding in your price point.

Vicki

Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
1 Cary, NC (Wakehurst Dr / Wedgemere St) This is the Devereaux subdivision if I'm not mistaken - very nice area. Park Village is right across Jenks Carpenter, nice subdivision, big, swim team, Davis Drive schools. Devereaux is Salem schools I think.

4 Cary, NC (Swiss Lake Dr / Bond Lake Dr) Can't go wrong living near Bond Park.

5 Cary, NC (Modena Dr / Giverny Pl) Nice area, other side of Davis Drive from Park Village - not sure about under $300K

6 Cary, NC (Jenks Carpenter Rd / High House Rd) Wellsley/Upchurch Farms - not under $300K

8 Morrisville, NC (Route 55 / Good Hope Church Rd) This probably puts you around Carpenter Village - nice if you can get in under $300K

9 Cary, NC (Upchurch) Upchurch Farms? The Wellsely/Berkely/Somerset subdivisions? You won't get in under $300K.

11 Cary, NC (High House Rd / Davis Dr) Again, Wellsley, and the subdivisions around #5 above.

12 Apex, NC (Silky Dogwood Trl / White Dogwood Rd) Dogwood Ridge subdivision, very nice - not sure about sub-$300K housing but Pearson Farms is right next door - you can get in there $200K and they share a pool and swim team with Dogwood Ridge. Good solid area. "Meh" on the walkability. Technically you can walk to downtown Apex, but it's a hike.

The area around Davis Drive is pretty walkable to Stone Creek Village. Park Village is a little farther afield but if you like to walk you won't mind.

No offense but this is a very bizarre way to look for houses. I'm DM'ing you a nice website that will help you.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Your #10 in Carrboro could be very walkable, depending on where on Hillsborough you're talking about. North g-boro is very walkable IMO. You know you can just use google maps to zoom in and look at exactly how walkable all these areas are. Just pull the little yellow man down for street view and you can take your own virtual walk.

I think Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro are pretty different from each other, so in addition to walkability I'd look closer into which community is a better fit for your family.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I think you have poor to fair walkability in many/most of your selection.
If you drove Modena and Giverny, you were within 200 feet of me, and I can tell you, we don't walk to anything.
Walk Score is very low.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Raleigh's walkability isn't all that great...Raleigh Neighborhoods | Walk Score.

I live within l/2 mile of about 4 shopping centers but I'm not a walker! Besides, when I go to the grocery store, I do not intend to walk home carrying 6 bags of groceries!!! I "could" walk to Starbucks or quite a few other restaurants but I don't wanna!!!

Unfortunately, Cary isn't lots better...Cary Neighborhoods | Walk Score

Morrisville? Morrisville Neighborhoods | Walk Score

Vicki

Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM

189 posts, read 507,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Spent a few days driving around last year, and now my wife and I are looking around again in a few weeks. I used Neighborhood Scout this time to start, and here are the top 13 results. Since we have no local knowledge at all, any comments or suggestions (wish list below) would be most welcome...

1 Cary, NC (Wakehurst Dr / Wedgemere St)
2 Raleigh, NC (Sycamore Rd / Leesville Rd)
3 Raleigh, NC (Falls Of Neuse Rd / Haymarket Ln)
4 Cary, NC (Swiss Lake Dr / Bond Lake Dr)
5 Cary, NC (Modena Dr / Giverny Pl)
6 Cary, NC (Jenks Carpenter Rd / High House Rd)
7 Durham, NC (Blands)
8 Morrisville, NC (Route 55 / Good Hope Church Rd)
9 Cary, NC (Upchurch)
10 Carrboro, NC (Hillsborough Rd / N Greensboro St)
11 Cary, NC (High House Rd / Davis Dr)
12 Apex, NC (Silky Dogwood Trl / White Dogwood Rd)
13 Chapel Hill, NC (Drew Hill Ln / Old Sterling Dr)

From an earlier post, our basic wish list: We're open to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill et al. Are there truly walkable neighborhoods where we can buy a nice, small (1800 sf plus or minus), move-in ready 3/2 for $300K or less? By walkable we mean easy walking or biking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and/or library. We currently live in a classic suburb where we have to jump in a car for absolutely everything, and don't want that situation again. Would prefer a small lot and high energy efficient features would be desirable (which probably means newer construction). Looking forward to the trip, and hope to make good use of the time...
Most of the above houses are in good neighborhoods, family oriented with great schools, but Suburban. I can't think of anything useful that one can walk to from there.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think you have poor to fair walkability in many/most of your selection.
If you drove Modena and Giverny, you were within 200 feet of me, and I can tell you, we don't walk to anything.
Walk Score is very low.
Oh come on Mike - the kids from Davis Drive Middle walk to Stone Creek all the time and that's farther from you! Get out there, man!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
It's not on your list, and I don't know where you are commuting to, but I'll throw it out there since you have a variety of places listed. How about Hillsborough? If you live in the downtown area, you could walk to lots of places - restaurants, library, farmer's market, stores, etc. It's a quaint, historic town with a downtown center. I'm not sure of the price points, but it may be worth looking into.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh come on Mike - the kids from Davis Drive Middle walk to Stone Creek all the time and that's farther from you! Get out there, man!
LOL

It takes me more than a mile to get to Davis Drive through MacArthur Park...
And I gotta worry about getting mugged by some middle schooler? No thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary