Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
There are people that think marijuana should be legalized.

However, the LAW states that pot is an illegal drug.

If Wake County policy states that NO guns and NO knives should be on school property, isn't it your job as a parent to READ this and then explain to your child the RULES?

Or are you saying that breaking the RULE just a little bit is ok?

Vicki
Ok, I can see both sides of the story. There should be something built in to the anti-butter knife policy to account for individual situations (and similar situations--I'm just using butter knives, which BTW, are allowed in my kids' schools. :0 )

Then again, the law is the law, as I so often preach when I advocate shipping all the illegal aliens back from whence they came!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Ugh...don't get me started about the absurdity of security at airports. I remember before they recently banned liquids, I was able to freely take a bottle of wine on board the plane, but wasn't allowed to take fingernail clippers. In my opinion, a freshly broken wine bottle makes a much better weapon than fingernail clippers. What can you do with finger nail clippers? "Crash this plane into that building or else I'll give you a hangnail you'll never forget!" The rules are way too arbitrary for me.

I take off my shoes, but I still think it's stupid and unnecessary, and I complain about it whenever I get the chance (though not to the TSA!). And if there was something that I could do to change the rules, I would. But I can't (unless I want to end up in Guantanamo).
What about people with smelly feet? Can they be detained?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Why does everything boil down to the "It's better than dying" argument? Just because some solution is "better than dying" doesn't mean there isn't a better solution.

As I've pointed out, restrictions like not being able to carry fingernail clippers are easily circumvented, and therefore useless. The only reason we maintain silly rules like this is to give us the illusion of security. Restrictions like not carrying firearms or other weapons on a plane make sense, because it's much more difficult to overpower a person carrying a gun than it is to overpower a person carrying fingernail clippers.

And what possibly could have been done that wasn't that would have prevented the VA massacre? There was already a 'no guns' policy on campus...the gunman simply ignored that policy. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there.
The campus police were afraid of causing a stir that may not have been necessary so they did not warn students of a shooting on campus, so people went to class and died. The dying argument is a good one because it's the worse case scenario which is what people should be working to prevent. It's when people are shortsighted and try to prevent the "norm" that they are caught with their pants down. Yes it's easy to slip a pair of nail clippers onto a plane but do you want to be the person doing it? It's a preventative measure and with people being the morons that they are it's just one more thing for TSA to search for BUT since it's on the list of things for them to search for they do, they catch most people and it's one less thing a possible terrorist could bring on a plane and of course you could file a plastic knife you get on a plane but it takes time to do that and honestly there are not too many surfaces rough enough to do it on it a plane. Most of the planes I have been on have smooth surfaces which do not suffice is shaving down plastic to make a knife dangerous unless you have about 10 hours and I don't see them letting you in the bathroom for that long to file down your knife.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Stupid people should not be allowed to live and then reproduce to make more stupid people.

I saw a bumper sticker once that read: "mean people produce little mean people"

Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Big nice people shouldn't produce little nice people who sound mean.
They should produce little nice people who sound and play nice.
Unfortunately it's true and being in education you should know that it happens. Stupid/mean/racist parents usually produce the same children because of their home life. There should be a test once a mother gives birth and and if the parents or parent fail then the kid is taken away and raised by parents who want to adopt. Keep the kids out of the hands of the morons who raise them to be burden's on society and yes adoptive parents should take the same test

Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Default Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
You say setting the bar is low, I say it's a preemptive strike. Did they see people taking over planes and flying them into the WTC and Pentagon? Did they see some crazy kid killing 30 people in an on campus massacre? Is it petty? Yes but again IT'S BETTER THAN DYING. How can you not see that? It's like people who are too lazy to put on their seatbelts and die in minor accidents. Prevent it and make a car that will not start without the seatbelt attached. A freaking bell and light go off the whole time you are driving so make it IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE without attaching your seatbelt. End of story. Of course that could also be the human race's way of self sustained growth control. Stupid people should not be allowed to live and then reproduce to make more stupid people.
Big nice people should not be allowed to produce little nice people who say mean things. They should produce little nice people who say intellectual things in a meaningful nice way.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM

285 posts, read 1,040,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
By the age of 18 I owned my own business and sure as hell wasn't going to be listening to some high school administrator who made half of my yearly income and lacked basic critical thinking skills.
Pray tell, what does one's income have to do with their level of wisdom? As someone who is married to a compassionate, intelligent man who happened to realize that teaching was his calling and decided to devote his life to educating our community's children, despite the lack of financial rewards, I find the general idea that one should only listen to those who make a lot of money odd.

Wisdom does not necessarily correlate to income.

In terms of the topic, I agree that sometimes administrators go too far with over-protection, but given the litigious nature of our culture, I think they have to be excruciatingly careful, and in a world where school violence has sadly become all too common, I'd rather see my daughter's schools err on the side of ridiculous over-protection than to see her in harm's way.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
I'm on the no-fly list now for that last post, aren't I?
Oh I'm TELLING!

Vicki

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,302 times
Thumbs up hey. ligon lockdown

hey im an 8th grade @ ligon. every1 isfine. it was stupid. the gun wasnt loaded and he brought it to be cool.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,302 times
ughhhhhhh...... im an 8th grader at ligon. we're allowed to have sharp compasses but were not allowed to have butter knives. we also have scisors and metal rulers. there are broken glass bottles on the tennis courts and kidshave hurt themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary