Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,267 times

Advertisements

Given the economy, I wouldn't encourage anyone to move without a job. Given your parenting preferences, you might want to look into the town of Carborro, which is next to Chapel Hill. It's got a very free-wheeling, liberal, artistic vibe.

I wouldn't worry about religion. When I lived in Raleigh, I found it very WASPy and mainline, in terms of religion. I never got asked my religion when I lived there, but I was bugged by fundamentalists on the west coast. The Triangle is metropolitan enough to be tolerant of different religious beliefs, and there are folks from all over. I don't think you'll have a problem being agnostic, unless you work it into conversation a lot. The Triangle seems very live-and-let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I'd suggest Durham, too, and also Raleigh and Cary. I think politically you're probably more inline with Raleigh and Cary. Chapel Hill and Carrboro both lean very far to the left. Cary and Raleigh are more in the middle as you describe your views. Durham is also pretty definitely leftish. Durham has cheaper real estate, but some don't think the schools are great. If you're homeschooling that shouldn't be a big issue for now. There are plenty of homeschoolers in the area.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM

51 posts, read 56,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mander View Post
We are a family like yourselves. We moved here from California 5.5 years ago and haven't looked back! We moved to Chapel Hill first, then recently moved to Durham to avoid Chapel Hill taxes and to build a bigger house. We are similar to as you describe, breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering (well, I did give up after a year with #2 in CDs), whole-foods-eating, non-religious folk. We are harder to the left politically but that's been totally fine. It's actually kind of invigorating living in a swing state where your vote definitely counts (not that they all don't!).

Feel free to DM me. My husband works in the park, I stay at home with my girls, and we have a 2 and a 5 year old. Moving here has been the best decision we've ever made. Incidentally, friends of ours have lived both here and in Portland, and ended up moving back here finding Portland waaaaaaaayyyyy too over the top (very put a bird on it, if you know the reference). Even for my cloth diapering, breastfeeding, natural mothering friend.

Oh and homeschooling is definitely accepted down here. I don't personally know any homeschoolers so I can't comment on how large the community is, but it's definitely not unheard of.
Hi Mander! Thank you for your help. We are so excited to settle down and plant some roots and the Triangle is sounding better and better the more feedback I get and the more research I do! I've heard the same about Portland, no offense to anyone living there, just not the right looking fit for us. We want to vacation there though, for sure!
It sounds like we have a lot in common and it's refreshing to know that you love it there. We have lived in a string of places where being alternative is comparable to being alien! How easy is it to meet people in the area? We would love to make some like-minded friends!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM

29 posts, read 61,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whollymama View Post
Hi Mander! Thank you for your help. We are so excited to settle down and plant some roots and the Triangle is sounding better and better the more feedback I get and the more research I do! I've heard the same about Portland, no offense to anyone living there, just not the right looking fit for us. We want to vacation there though, for sure!
It sounds like we have a lot in common and it's refreshing to know that you love it there. We have lived in a string of places where being alternative is comparable to being alien! How easy is it to meet people in the area? We would love to make some like-minded friends!
We actually made a ton of friends super quickly and easily here. I credit most of that to my husband though. He was very active on Twitter as soon as we moved here and ended up finding a lot of local people there who we have remained friends with this whole time. They aren't all just like us - none of them cloth diapered or are necessarily quite as crunchy as we are (well mostly me I suppose, more than hubby) - but that just makes them more interesting to me. Beyond the Twitter friends, we met a few people in our old neighborhood, a few more at La Leche League (I actually met my dearest girlfriend at a LLL meeting), some at other activities (like enrolling my kid in music and gym classes). It did require getting out of the house and doing stuff. But it was pretty easy b/c people here are so friendly. Plus there's a lot of transplants so I found when people learned I was new here they offered up phone numbers and emails really quickly, and I've done the same for other people I've met who are new here. It's just such a warm, welcoming community.

FWIW when we first moved here we were asked several times what church we go to. People occasionally seemed confused when we said we didn't go to one, but no one ever pressed. It's more like it was just a conversation starter that just didn't start anything.

Depending on exactly how alternative you feel, you might be most comfortable in Carrboro, as others have mentioned. But if you have more conservative viewpoints as far as social issues, that might not be a good fit. So if you're more conservative socially but 'alternative' in your lifestyle choices, somewhere in Chapel Hill or Durham could be perfect. But the most crunchy of them all do find Carrboro a good fit as far as not feeling like the only person living an alternative lifestyle. So if you're no-poo, your children don't wear shoes unless absolutely necessary, you unschool, and are vegan, Carrboro is perfect. But the beauty of this area is that you can be a single childless corporate programmer and still fit in fine in Carrboro or anywhere! Or a total throwback hippie living in Cary. People are generally very accepting, I find. It just depends on where YOU feel most comfortable.

Taxes in Carrboro and Chapel Hill are definitely something to consider if you're planning on purchasing a home though.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM

What does your husband do? You mentioned he works in the parks? I don't consider myself granola crunchy, but I tend to make all of our food at home (no inhumane fast food), we WERE Vegan for a month, Vegetarian for a year, now we're "ethical omnivores" where we eat humanely raised and antibiotic-free meat.

I know what you mean about church as a conversation starter. It seems to be the American way- even while in New Zealand, we were only asked one time, and it was from an expat from the US. I'm sure that with time, it will change to asking something more relevant.

We are planning to rent and pay down some student loans before buying a house. Plus we want to get a feel for the areas, as much research as we will have done before getting there, nothing beats driving around and feeling the general vibe. Did you buy right after arriving? Any neighborhood recommendations? I've heard a ton of great stuff about Woodcroft on here, but my husband is not keen on the HOA idea. I'm more interested for the fact that they usually include perks like a pool, parks and trails. Any recommendations are welcome.

I am getting cabin fever here in Montana, and absolutey cannot wait to have the hot and humid weather back! The only thing that could make Raleigh even more appealing is a zoo and just a little bit closer to the ocean. Oh well, you can't have it all!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'd suggest Durham, too, and also Raleigh and Cary. I think politically you're probably more inline with Raleigh and Cary. Chapel Hill and Carrboro both lean very far to the left. Cary and Raleigh are more in the middle as you describe your views. Durham is also pretty definitely leftish. Durham has cheaper real estate, but some don't think the schools are great. If you're homeschooling that shouldn't be a big issue for now. There are plenty of homeschoolers in the area.
I'm not looking to necessarily segregate ourselves, so I think they all sound like great places to live just knowing that there is a pretty good number of liberals in each place and that everyone is kind and respectful. I think we'll be looking for the best neighborhood in our budget in the area with the best commute. Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Given the economy, I wouldn't encourage anyone to move without a job. Given your parenting preferences, you might want to look into the town of Carborro, which is next to Chapel Hill. It's got a very free-wheeling, liberal, artistic vibe.

I wouldn't worry about religion. When I lived in Raleigh, I found it very WASPy and mainline, in terms of religion. I never got asked my religion when I lived there, but I was bugged by fundamentalists on the west coast. The Triangle is metropolitan enough to be tolerant of different religious beliefs, and there are folks from all over. I don't think you'll have a problem being agnostic, unless you work it into conversation a lot. The Triangle seems very live-and-let live.
Glad to hear it, but I can't seem to find a definition for the term "WASPy". What does it mean?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I live in California and visit Raleigh quite often. I am sure you will be accepted there.

I am not sure where people get the idea that certain parts of the country are one long conversation about politics and religion.

There are countless people who seem to think Raleigh is like the fictional town in "Footloose" or something.
What part of CA? I have never seen Footloose- is that reference a good or a bad thing?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Glad to hear it, but I can't seem to find a definition for the term "WASPy". What does it mean?
See: White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I have never seen Footloose- is that reference a good or a bad thing?
Depends how you feel about dancing. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Footloose is a 1984 American musical-drama film directed by Herbert Ross. It tells the story of Ren McCormack (Kevin Bacon), an upbeat Chicago teen who moves to a small town in which, as a result of the efforts of a local minister (John Lithgow), dancing and rock music have been banned. The film is loosely based on events that took place in the small, rural, and religious community of Elmore City, Oklahoma.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM

30 posts, read 70,213 times
Hi Whollymama,

Check out trianglemommies.com -- I was directed there by another member here, and I have really enjoyed joining the forum and reading a little more from other moms around here.

We are moving to Durham in two weeks. My husband is in the science field and found some really interesting companies to apply to. DM me if you would like the names of some of them. There are a lot of start-ups in the area who are/will be looking for good computer scientists.

We are also liberal, open-minded people who have lived in California previously (and really felt at home there, in Santa Barbara). In visiting Durham, we've found a really lively culture, and a lot to do and see. We've also met a lot of like-minded people.

I definitely think it's an awesome area. We're looking forward to living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary