Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Colvard Farms is lovely, but the entrance is odd. They were not able to buy out some surrounding property so you pass an 80's sort of home on a farm.
I agree, sort of like the approach to the gates of the Hills of Rosemont...

The 'main' thing for me with Colvard Farms (besides 3 of the not-so-good builders and no cable access) were the power lines and towers. Kind of ruined the 'farm' aspect. In one home I looked at you could see the power lines from the bedroom - not a soothing vista, imo.

Woodcroft is the same way...lovely neighborhood, but those power towers are awful.

After having lived in Cali so long and seeing power lines EVERYWHERE, I never want to buy a home where I can see them from any window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,110 times
I agree! Also somehow I never did get the feel that I was in a higher end community. Location was great! So near to everything yet so remote and quiet, but the powerlines and their huge towers were a killer.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
So near to everything, yet remote and quiet, is what I like about SW Cary. Did you rule this area out? If your husband's work is closer to Chapel Hill, it would be a 'bear' going to/from work.

Back to your question, though: I'd vote for Governors Club. I cannot speak for the schools children attend, though, there. Check out the county schools' website(s). That should give you some feedback.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
So near to everything, yet remote and quiet, is what I like about SW Cary. Did you rule this area out? If your husband's work is closer to Chapel Hill, it would be a 'bear' going to/from work.
I did look at Cary. I am going to be checking out Greyhawk Landing. I work from home but since it entails overseas trips I would like easy access to the airport. Any other communities I should be looking at ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Back to your question, though: I'd vote for Governors Club. I cannot speak for the schools children attend, though, there. Check out the county schools' website(s). That should give you some feedback.
Schools do not come into play as both my kids are in University. I have narrowed down a few lots in Governor's Club after checking out their topo on ChathamGIS , but the gradient is 1:4. That is pretty steep. I will talk to the Real Estate agent and see if he can fill me on if the lots are buildable. Regardless I am going to check them out during my visit to the Triangle.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Are you specifically wanting to build a new home?

Sorry, but I misunderstood the school-issue. Looking at the post, you are wanting to avoid the traffic/congestion of the school.

I am in SW Cary, and there are plenty of neighborhoods being built out this way, and there are plenty of homes for resale. I have easy, easy access to RDU, and have flown in and out of RDU on a number of occasions, different times of the day. Only once, in two years, did I encounter a situation where parking was a royal pain -- lots full, I recall. Sometimes, traffic around the terminals is heavy, but it moves.

GreyHawk Landing is nice. In that area, try Stanton Place (same builders/developers). I also liked Birklands, Newstead Manor. Depending upon what direction you are going, traffic can be heavy with commuters to/from RTP.

Neighborhoods on my side of Cary include Weston, Preston's, Carpenter Village, Magnolia Estates, Cary Park, Cameron Pond -- others I don't know the names of, but would say you can search MLS listings in the 27519 zip code. I have easy access to anything I want from here, including going over to Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill -- dining, shopping, movies, museums, the Flea Market at the State Fairgrounds, the RBC Center, SAS Soccer Park, seeing the Durham Bulls play. . . It is easy to stroll over to the Cary Green Way.

Another pretty, but pricey, area is Regency, close to the Koka Booth Ampitheatre. Three new areas are being developed there -- Renaissance at Regency, I think they call it, featuring homes in the $800K+ and gently-rolling terrain.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Having lived in custom built homes from the design stage up since 1986, my wife finds it difficult to adjust to tract or pre-sales offered by the builders in the Triangle.

We are looking for less of a house with more of higher finishes. And generally all the builders offer is more square footage for the money. Have not found any in resale listings either. A couple of houses my wife liked the finishes on were in a 6000+ sq ft. house in Birklands. We do not need that big a house.

Also for eg: I have not seen any Sub zero built in refrigerators in any of the homes in the Triangle except Meadowmont. Kitchen is very important to my wife. She loves cooking and I am not going to put a damper on that by compromising on the kitchen as I love her food!

So we have to build a custom home.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
The right builder will let you do just about anything you are willing to pay for in the kitchen, and I'm sure if there is a builder you favor for floorplans and square footage you could set up a meeting about the finishes you desire. Many builders would love the opportunity to push their envelope.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:14 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
We are looking for less of a house with more of higher finishes. And generally all the builders offer is more square footage for the money. Have not found any in resale listings either. A couple of houses my wife liked the finishes on were in a 6000+ sq ft. house in Birklands. We do not need that big a house.

Also for eg: I have not seen any Sub zero built in refrigerators in any of the homes in the Triangle except Meadowmont. Kitchen is very important to my wife.
Check out any home build by Trip Lloyd in Colvard Farms. He used to have two there in the 4000sq foot range (the others are much larger). Viking appliances in the kitchens, too.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 AM

Yes, Lloyd Homes comes to mind, as does Rufty, who built an incredible Italian-looking place in Birklands. I was also impressed with a home in Stanton Place, built by Upton.

I'd suggest finding an area you like, then look at different houses, and as you build, put in the upgrades you want. A kitchen is one big investment that can be recouped easily, I think -- I'm not sure if everyone wanting a kitchen over-the-top is into cooking, like your wife (and me) but a lot of people are after Viking appliances, and the like.

Any of the neighborhoods like Grey Hawk, Regency, Newstead Manor, can accommodate custom-built homes like that.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Yeah, that house in Birklands was the major factor in helping us decide to look at moving to the Triangle area. If I was looking for a house in that price range and size, I would have bought the house on the spot.

I have talked to Rufty about possibly building. It will all depend on which community I end up being in.

I will check out the other neighborhoods that you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary