Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,915 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the Raleigh area this year, and have decided that Clayton looks like the right area for our family. We would love some advice about a few of the communities we are considering. At this time, we are most interested in Glen Laurel, Flowers Plantation, and Portofino.

All look to have excellent schools, which is a primary concern for us as we have a young family with children ranging in age from 1 to 7 years. We are also hoping to find a friendly, active neighborhood, where our children will be able to easily find other children to play with. We also have a preference for a wooded lot, at least half an acre, and less than $350K.

Can you tell us if any of these communities, or others in the area that you would recommend, are more family-friendly than others? We'd prefer to find a home with access to a community pool (I understand there is a fee for this), playgrounds, and walking trails.

Also, Portofino looks like a good fit for us, except that I see it is marketed as an equestrian community. Do most people in Portofino own horses? I'm concerned we wouldn't fit in, since we are not horse owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Where are you moving from? Where will your husband be working?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,915 times
We are moving from Albuquerque, New Mexico.

My husband works from home, so commuting is not a concern for us.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
That area of Clayton (hwy 42) is considered very desirable, so you will be fine in any of the 3 n'hoods.

Another one to consider is Taft Woods West.

Vicki

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina789 View Post
At this time, we are most interested in Glen Laurel, Flowers Plantation, and Portofino. Also, Portofino looks like a good fit for us, except that I see it is marketed as an equestrian community. Do most people in Portofino own horses? I'm concerned we wouldn't fit in, since we are not horse owners.
I don't own any horses and would also like to get more info about Portofino. It's a gorgeous community.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
That area of Clayton (hwy 42) is considered very desirable, so you will be fine in any of the 3 n'hoods.

Another one to consider is Taft Woods West.

Vicki
This is many many many years down the road, but there are plans for Highway 42 to widen into a divided four lane road all the way to Buffalo Road (Flowers).

That road absolutely sucks to drive during busy hours, two lanes and hilly. So there are only a few passing lanes.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Have you visited here yet?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
This is many many many years down the road, but there are plans for Highway 42 to widen into a divided four lane road all the way to Buffalo Road (Flowers).

That road absolutely sucks to drive during busy hours, two lanes and hilly. So there are only a few passing lanes.
Yes, I've heard that the intent is to enlarge the road but I think that will help traffic a lot.

I have a client that lives in one of the n'hoods mentioned and his office is only 7 miles away but if he doesn't leave a bit earlier in the AM, it takes him 20 min. to get to work.

I forgot to mention...there is a brand new Harris Teeter grocery store opening in the Fall almost right beside Percy Flowers store (best hot dogs around!)!!!

Vicki

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM

58 posts, read 90,056 times
Tina...we have looked at all three of those neighborhoods. This is my personal take on each. And this is just my opionion yours might be different. If you haven't visited please do. As things on the Internet look much different. 1st. They all have smaller yards. Especially at flowers. I was surprised at how small the yards were. Portofino didn't seem to be super kid friendly (as in) no playground/kiddy pool. It is also very hilly inside. Glen laurel is nice but it's on a huge hill to get there and very hilly. Just not for me. Out of the 3 I liked flowers just cause of all the amenities that it has. I don't think you'll find many wooded lots as it seems they are removing all the trees to build. But it is a nice community.

Look into river wood. I really like it. It has a grammar and middle school right in the development. Great kiddy pool area. A big lake with walking trails. Yards are on the smaller side if you go with the new homes in the alpine side. If you buy a preowned home. Some have great yards. Depends what your needs and wants are. There is also another community that I love and it's about 15mins from portofino/ glen laurel/flowers. It's closer to Raleigh. Its on the border of garner. Winston pointe. It doesn't have a pool but the builder is planning on putting one in once they sell 200 homes. The lots are bigger then the 3 developments your looking into. There's an abundance of trees throughout the neighborhood. The road to get there is more straight and not so hilly. (I hate hills if you haven't noticed lol).

We have researched clayton a lot and have been there many times as once we sell our
current home. We plan to relocate there. If you have questions or want my opinion on anything else feel free to contact me

Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica208 View Post
They all have smaller yards. Especially at flowers. I was surprised at how small the yards were.
I guess it depends on what your used to. All of the homes we've looked at in the Pineville West section of Flower's are on .45+ acre lots. The lots in Portofino are also large (.54 acre+). The homes in Glen Laurel are built on .33+ acre lots. What do you consider a "small" yard?

This may seem like an odd question, but does anyone know if there are any odor or bug issues associated with living close to an equestrian facility? The homes in Portofino look lovely and all but I'd hate to have large flies everywhere or smell foul odors during the humid summer months. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary