Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
meh, I see quite a few Chapel Hill 3 & 4 bedroom rentals right at $1300 or less. I don't know if they're what the OP is looking for or not, but it's definitely a doable price point.
Do they include water, electric (and gas, if gas is needed) plus high-speed Internet?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
$1300 and including water, sewer, utilities, and high-speed internet?

That is about $1000--$1050 base rent.
Thank you.

Which is why I think OP should settle for 2BR and make do until he's got a clearer picture of job plus COL here.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM

107 posts, read 166,704 times
Well like I said, we can be in a large 2 BR but it would need to be big enough to organize in such a manner that we'd have an office type space (in a den, breakfast nook, etc type area) while still having a guest room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
Well like I said, we can be in a large 2 BR but it would need to be big enough to organize in such a manner that we'd have an office type space (in a den, breakfast nook, etc type area) while still having a guest room
When you do a search, go for 2 or more BRs and minimum SF set at about 1500, and you will have more choices than if you are limiting your search to 3 BRs.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
There are always compromises to be made and until the OP comes to see what is available and where it is, our suggestions are just suggestions.

For example...will he be better off in a 2 bedroom in an area closer to shopping or will he be better off in a 3 bedroom that is further from shopping.

It is easy to sit here and make suggestions but until he gets here...

Vicki

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM

That's true but I do appreciate the suggestions, since I haven't been to or visited the area yet I want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible.

Does traffic get bad at rush hour on I40? By bad I don't mean congested/slightly below speed limit, I mean stop and go or like 30 mph traffic.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback, it is exactly what I am looking for. We are going to expand our search to the Southpoint area per many of your recommendations. However looking at apartment postings online it seems like some prices around Southpoint Mall area are even higher than prices in Cary or Morrisville. Am I just looking too close to the mall?

pepe, in regards to your employment question, I am a teacher and have my Master's degree in education. However, I am looking to move in a different direction and into curriculum development, assessment, or educational technology (which is where my Master's degree is in) rather than be in the classroom. I currently work part-time for an online assessment company that could very well become full time, but I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket, so I'm still looking at similar type jobs in the Triangle area or online/virtual/telecommute jobs that would allow me to work from home. Basically, I'm somewhat flexible, but don't plan to be working retail or restaurant. I also don't plan on looking for a classroom job unless things get really sticky. I know how hard it is to find teaching jobs in the area, and like I said I'm looking to move in a different direction anyway.
Measurement, Inc. is located in Downtown Durham and sounds like a company you may want to check out in terms of jobs.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Does traffic get bad at rush hour on I40? By bad I don't mean congested/slightly below speed limit, I mean stop and go or like 30 mph traffic.
Yes, it does. Particularly between NC-147 (exit 279) and US-1/US-64 (exit 293) at the Raleigh/Cary border. Most of the traffic is that the heads westbound in the morning (Raleigh/Cary toward RTP/Durham) and eastbound in the morning.

I'm not sure about traffic on I-40 between NC-147 and NC-54 or 15-501, which are the two exits one would take to get into Chapel Hill. I just haven't driven that stretch for a commute.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Measurement, Inc. is located in Downtown Durham and sounds like a company you may want to check out in terms of jobs.
Thank you SO much. That is just the type of company I'm looking for. I've found some other similar ones but haven't run across them. If you or anyone else know of any others let me know please!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Do they include water, electric (and gas, if gas is needed) plus high-speed Internet?
A very quick search yielded more than 200 2 & 3 bedroom rentals currently available in Chapel Hill and Carrboro under $1300. Some were well under, some were right at it. I have no idea which ones included utilities, but I imagine some did. I'm sure some of the rentals are not what the OP has in mind, but many of them sounded quite nice, too. Some were apartments, some condos, some duplexes, some 4-plexes, some townhomes, some single family homes. I'm sure some were quite studenty and some not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary