U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM

101 posts, read 176,690 times

Advertisements

The magnet school application in Wake opens this afternoon. My son (rising 9th grader) was all hot on either the Leadership academy or the STEM program back in December so we did the applications to both programs. The second step is do the online application process that starts today online.

My question is if by chance he gets into one of these 2 schools and he decides not to accept the spot does he just go to his base HS? I would assume so but I'm never quite clear with WCPSS since it changes each year. I surfed around the WCPSS website but couldn't seem to find the answer (it may be there but I didn't find it). I love his base HS and have no problem with him going to it. I don't want to lose the base HS assignment by completing the application process for these to other schools. I'm 99% sure that he would go to his base school if he declines the spot --- I just want someone else to confirm this for me. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
W26

15 posts, read 33,846 times
I called the magnet office last week. I was told if you apply to a magnet and get a spot, that becomes your assignment. You do not get to turn it down and choose your base instead. I didn't ask about the leadership academies.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM

3,723 posts, read 4,988,935 times
W26 is correct. If you apply for a magnet/early college/leadership school and are accepted, that becomes your assignment and you lose your base school spot. You can not decline the acceptance unless you subsequently apply and are accepted for something else.

Edit: Found the relevant bit in the FAQ:
Quote:
If I apply and get accepted into a magnet school is this my student’s final school assignment? Can I decline this placement?

If you participate in any of the application periods and get selected for a school you applied for, this will be your student’s school assignment unless you apply and are selected for something else. There is no opportunity to “decline” if you applied to attend a school and are selected and assigned to that school.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM

21,157 posts, read 31,860,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W26 View Post
I called the magnet office last week. I was told if you apply to a magnet and get a spot, that becomes your assignment. You do not get to turn it down and choose your base instead. I didn't ask about the leadership academies.
That's what I've heard too.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Yikes! Thank you all. I better make darn sure he wants to give up his base HS before I complete the applications.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 23,755,462 times
I would call and double check, while I know that policy is true of magnet schools, when we applied for the leadership academy last year, we were told we would be allowed to decline the seat becasue both applications were due at the same time and there was no way to "rank" which one you wanted over the other one.
It also had to do with the fact that the Early College and the Leadership program are not actually magnet schools.
But it could be different now, I'd call today and find out for sure.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Just tried the phone # for magnet school application questions - voicemail is full. Student assignment phone # drops me every time I call. I hate WCPSS sometimes.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,752,640 times
My son got into Washington GT Magnet (years ago) because we lived in the school's base area.

Guess it changed now.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 9,595,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
My son got into Washington GT Magnet (years ago) because we lived in the school's base area.

Guess it changed now.
It still works that way. Not sure what that has to do with the OP's question.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,752,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
It still works that way. Not sure what that has to do with the OP's question.
Perhaps living in the base area of a magnet would eliminate the need to file for admittance to that magnet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary