Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM

170 posts, read 345,953 times

Advertisements

I understand that I'm responsible in my town home for water or sewer breakage from my home to the meter. Can anyone recommend good insurance to cover any breakage? Thanks!!

Last edited by GoingBackEast; 01-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: wish to make title bold like everyone elses :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 AM

208 posts, read 415,008 times
Good Morning, I can't speak for insurances in this area as I just moved here however, every other house I have lived in the company supplying the water service has send inserts inside my bill informing me about the sewer and water main line insurance programs that they offer. Maybe try calling your water supplier and see if they offer any protection?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBackEast View Post
I understand that I'm responsible in my town home for water or sewer breakage from my home to the meter. Can anyone recommend good insurance to cover any breakage? Thanks!!
I think you shoud contact your own insurance company. I'm not sure what water main coverage is called...but, sewer is called "sewage back-up" Ask about these w/ yours, or a recommended insurance co.
We had a flood years ago where I live. So of the company refused to pay for damages, because technically
the homes were flooded after the city evacuated and folks were forced to leave and therefore their sump pumps failed, causing water to back-up. Course our tough insurance commissioner went to work and got that mostly resolved. It is important coverage. Good luck on your search.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Edit:
Frank made a great post with good information. And at $3.95/month, insurance is probably a pretty wise idea.

Additionally, if you are concerned about sewer back up, you might be sure you have a check valve in your sewer line under the house, particularly if your toilet is lower than the manhole in the street.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-16-2013 at 05:27 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Oddly enough, the local natural gas provider (PSNC) provides a water/sewer line replacement plan. They periodically send mailers, but here's more info:

PSNC Energy - Water Line Replacement Program

Starts at $3.95/mo

Sewer line plan here:

http://www.psncenergy.com/en/residen...wer-line-plan/

Starts at $5.95/mo

Frank

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think it is usually unwise to purchase insurance for specific items like this.
I would assume the cost of the water line replacement at about $1700--$2200.
Sewer replacement would be more, but unless you are in a very old townhome, you have a PVC sewer line that would be repaired in specific spots rather than total replacement.
I would again assume something in the $2000 range for a repair.

One suggestion:
How much would you be willing to pay for such insurance monthly?
$30/month?
You might just add that amount to your monthly savings for emergencies and earmark it for water and sewer repairs. If you need a repair next month, you don't make out. If you never need it, and most of us never do, you have that much more in your emergency account.

Additionally, if you are concerned about sewer back up, you might be sure you have a check valve in your sewer line under the house, particularly if your toilet is lower than the manhole in the street.
There is much more involved w/ possible costs to repair. If the water/sewer backs up, it can damage everything, including your furnaces, water heaters, electric panels....furnishings...sheet rock...etc I think insurance makes much more sense.

Last edited by JanND; 01-16-2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Oddly enough, the local natural gas provider (PSNC) provides a water line replacement plan. They periodically send mailers, but here's more info:

Starts at $3.95/mo

Frank
$3.95/month?
$5.95/month?

Good one Frank! I take back everything I said!

And now I'm thinking about that polybutylene line from the street.
I have a quote for $1800 for replacement and that $3.95 looks pretty good.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There is much more involved w/ possible costs to repair. If the water back up, it can damage everything, including your furnaces, water heaters, electric panels....furnishings...sheet rock...etc I think insurance makes much more sense.
There are two topics on the table, that should be considered separately.

Sewer back up should be prevented by a check valve in the system and would be covered by homeowners insurance.

Water service line failure will not back water into the house unless into a crawlspace, or through the basement wall into the basement. Homeowners insurance would cover the latter..

Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are two topics on the table, that should be considered separately.

Sewer back up should be prevented by a check valve in the system and would be covered by homeowners insurance.

Water service line failure will not back water into the house.
My insurance charges extra for sewer backup coverage. We took it.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Oddly enough, the local natural gas provider (PSNC) provides a water/sewer line replacement plan. They periodically send mailers, but here's more info:

Starts at $3.95/mo

Sewer line plan here:

PSNC Energy - Sewer Line Repair Program

Starts at $5.95/mo

Frank
I have one of these plans. I knew several people whose lines ruptured in NY ( in an area developed in the 1930s with cold winters....but still) and it was pretty expensive - over $4000 each time. So I pay for this policy. In a newer area with not-so-cold winters so who knows if I'll ever need it but after seeing what a pain in the neck it was for my neighbors (one's front yard was underwater till it was fixed) I just do it. Don't even notice it in the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary