U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM

210 posts, read 703,212 times

Advertisements

What kind of wiring packages are you finding the new builders are putting in homes of today? If you've built from the ground up, is there anything you remember adding to your list that did not come with your builder's standard wiring package?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM

282 posts, read 797,043 times
You mean like - coax/cat-6 to every room? Phone lines, home run to a central location? Surround sound cabling (if that floats your boat)?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,514,215 times
I'm 30 days from closing on a mid to high-end home in the area. (5-600K)

The builders basic package (in a 4 bedroom+ bonus 3,000 sf home) gave me 6 phone and 6 cable/data outlets that I could place anywhere I chose. When I signed my contract there was a promotion in place that got me an installed 50" plasma and full surround system.

I added 7 more phone and 7 more cable/data jacks (we chose to finish the basement and we need a multi-line home office setup) and had the low-voltage contractor do a couple of other things for me-

We wired for a TV over the fireplace with connections to a closet for the cable box and an infrared connector so the remotes will control everything in the closet. We also had them run a pair of speaker wires from the closet location to the screened porch with a volume control so we can feed an audio output from the cable box or another audio source.

The wiring upgrades cost $1600.

I also did a LOT of lighting upgrades. Under and over-cabinet lighting, Pendants in the kitchen, additional exterior lights and 2 extra exterior outlet boxes, about 20 extra cans, dedicated AC outlet for a refrigerator in the garage, upgraded exterior fixtures. The lighting and wiring (AC) ran about $8,000.

The home we live in now was a spec home and it was one of the builder's first homes in the subdivision. There are a lot of things that I would have moved/added/changed in terms of wiring and lights, so when I got an opportunity to build from scratch I spent a LOT of time planning the wiring and lighting. At first the builder thought I was a little nuts, but as the house has taken shape I can see that the time spent in full OCD mode was worth it.

Honestly, building a house has taken a lot out of me. I'm glad I found a builder who let me be involved to the level I wanted to be.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 PM

460 posts, read 1,689,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

The builders basic package (in a 4 bedroom+ bonus 3,000 sf home) gave me 6 phone and 6 cable/data outlets that I could place anywhere I chose. When I signed my contract there was a promotion in place that got me an installed 50" plasma and full surround system.

I added 7 more phone and 7 more cable/data jacks (we chose to finish the basement and we need a multi-line home office setup)
Does the neighborhood ABSOLUTELY have cable service?

I looked in a relatively new development with 'high end' homes (ie There were only 2 houses under 800k - 1 is 565k, the other is 670k), and they won't have cable access until at least spring (but all of the houses are 'wired' for cable.)

I would have never known had I not specifically asked who the cable carrier was.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 PM

282 posts, read 797,043 times
The only difference between wiring for cable or wiring for satellite is whether you need an extra feed to wherever the dish is going to be. Sat uses either coax or fiber in the home. As a matter of fact - if you can - request quad-shielded coax (instead of the standard grade) - you get a lot fewer issues with feedback/interference, etc...

Either way - it's several (3 to 4 as I recall) times cheaper to have it put in before the walls go up (for the same amount of cable, etc...) than after. Also - you don't have holes to patch, etc...

Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM

169 posts, read 394,344 times
If you plan on having DirecTV, Dish, etc, make sure your coax is RG6.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,158,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
If you plan on having DirecTV, Dish, etc, make sure your coax is RG6.
And you should have three cable feeds in. You need at least 2 feeds if you want a DVR and another one if you want international programming or cable internet, tho not absolutely neccessary.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 AM

310 posts, read 1,648,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

I added 7 more phone and 7 more cable/data jacks (we chose to finish the basement and we need a multi-line home office setup) and had the low-voltage contractor do a couple of other things for me-

We wired for a TV over the fireplace with connections to a closet for the cable box and an infrared connector so the remotes will control everything in the closet. We also had them run a pair of speaker wires from the closet location to the screened porch with a volume control so we can feed an audio output from the cable box or another audio source.

The wiring upgrades cost $1600.

I also did a LOT of lighting upgrades. Under and over-cabinet lighting, Pendants in the kitchen, additional exterior lights and 2 extra exterior outlet boxes, about 20 extra cans, dedicated AC outlet for a refrigerator in the garage, upgraded exterior fixtures. The lighting and wiring (AC) ran about $8,000.

The home we live in now was a spec home and it was one of the builder's first homes in the subdivision. There are a lot of things that I would have moved/added/changed in terms of wiring and lights, so when I got an opportunity to build from scratch I spent a LOT of time planning the wiring and lighting. At first the builder thought I was a little nuts, but as the house has taken shape I can see that the time spent in full OCD mode was worth it.

Honestly, building a house has taken a lot out of me. I'm glad I found a builder who let me be involved to the level I wanted to be.
This is a very generous package. My builder offers only 2 phone lines, 2 cable connections, and 2 pre-wired ceiling fans. The price of the house is alson in 500K -600K. They charge arm and a leg for every additional connection.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,514,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
This is a very generous package. My builder offers only 2 phone lines, 2 cable connections, and 2 pre-wired ceiling fans. The price of the house is alson in 500K -600K. They charge arm and a leg for every additional connection.
John-
The neighborhood is the builder's first NC project. They are a small residential/commercial developer in the Northeast. When they started presales they were offering many things that NOBODY else did in the base price. I was very quick to give them a deposit once I saw what I was getting, but frankly it was a pretty big leap of faith. Their original sales reps were not the sharpest either, and that worked in my favor, too.

The build process has been VERY long as the company has struggled to adjust to the way things are done "around here". Permits and inspections have taken way too long, not because they are not building right but because they keep trying to push the town around and the harder they push the slower the town moves. The unfortunate thing for me is that I kept on having to put off the sale of my current home and ended up selling for less than some very accurate comps from 6 to 12 months ago, but that is offset by my buy-in price on the new house.

I have hung on because I know what I am getting could never be duplicated at the prices in my contract. This will either be the house my 2 year old graduates from High School in or the house we sell in 2 years before she starts Kindergarten, It all depends on how the neighborhood builds out and what kind of profit is or isn't on the table after I get past the 2 year Capital Gains threshold.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 AM

693 posts, read 2,642,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
WOW that's really not right. My current home purchased last year priced $399K included wiring for cable and CAT-5, at least 1 cable and 1 CAT-5 outlet in each room (a few rooms had multiple outlets), all included in the price. This was Timberline builders.

Now with my next home, by Triangle Classic builders it's a different story. The house is wired for cable and CAT-5e however there is NO distribution panel and none of the outlets are wired, they only have a blank faceplate cover. This is in the $450K range. I thought it was cheap and asked for the panel and the outlets but the builder refused to installed them. I'd hate to hire someone to install this when I'm paying 1/2 mil for a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary