Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,218 times

Advertisements

Since I moved further north, I see that lots of people in MD back into everything and it perplexes me! I would assume it is mostly people moving from other areas, like DC. ON a practical note: some driveways may also have blind sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 AM

266 posts, read 402,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I can't believe people are actually trying to correlate backing into a driveway to being a "southern" or "northern" thing. Or even an "ethnic" thing. This is truly an odd topic.
Well, ya know - people complain if there's a remotely repetitive topic, so after so many years it's gotta be pretty unusual topics to prevent any repeats. Goodness, some people just love to beetch

Furthermore, if I had a driveway I would back in as well. I always back in to parking spaces in lots and whatnot. It's too hard to see backing up and people aren't paying attention as it is. Plus, I would rather "get it out of the way" and just do it when I'm parking

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Yes, when Zombie Apocalypse happens you will be glad you backed in.

Seriously, its a safety thing and many companies that have a field force go through driver safety training. One of the things they told us was to either "pull through" a parking space or back into it...safely, of course.
I do the "pull through" whenever possible but I do notice that very few people do. Is this some kind of etiquette thing or just a habit I wonder?

As for backing in, I have found that, with a little practice, it is far easier to back into a tight spot than it is to pull in forward. Once you go back, you never go back.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I don't back into parking spaces. I do pull through fairly often, though.

I think that many people back into their driveways on a night where there's snow/ice in the forecast, even if they don't back in the rest of the time.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
We have a little dip at the end of our driveway. When it snows or gets icy, backing out means you can slide easier. So...hubby will back into the garage so that when he pulls out, he is going forward and has less of an issue with sliding.

Me? I just wait until it all melts!!!

Vicki

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I would rathe back the car in but my driveway is on a hill which makes it difficult. I can actually only think of a couple people on my 'hood who routinely back in, but many have hilly driveways too.

When it snows you will see it a lot more as it's easier to get the car out. Even with the hill, I would back it in if we were having a major snow storm (no, did NOT back it in yesterday!).

I almost always back into parking spots if we are at an event where people will be leaving all at the same time, in parking garages and anyplace that's supercrowded (ie mall at Christmas). I'm very quick about it.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 AM

266 posts, read 402,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I do the "pull through" whenever possible but I do notice that very few people do. Is this some kind of etiquette thing or just a habit I wonder?

As for backing in, I have found that, with a little practice, it is far easier to back into a tight spot than it is to pull in forward. Once you go back, you never go back.
I agree that it's easier to back in as well. It's too hard to judge your front end when pulling in forward.

Pulling through spots is frowned upon, but who can resist? I've noticed many people seem to do that where I've been.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
dONt y'all Know?

wE park backwardz so's we kin git outta there motty quick when the revenooers are lookin' for us to git our stills!

golly!!! thought ever'one knew 'bout it.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
it allows me to park car at other side of carport and by doing that
leave more room between the driver door and the house
pulling in straight would be a squeeze

then of course there's the practical...
who want's to back into a street (even if it isn't busy)?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
If you are backed in the police cannot see your license plate.

We only back in when snow is expected. Our driveway is basically flat with a hill to deal with when we get out on the street. It is much easier when we get a running go and do not have to stop and spin up the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary