Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 PM

51 posts, read 284,138 times

Advertisements

We were in Raleigh last year and loved The Preserve at Jordan Lake. We loved the community and the fact that you get to bring your own builder and could build whenever you want. The only problem was the location was too far, even considering the growth that might happen in the next 5 years in the area. We also researched some and found the schools in the area were not considered that good. Anyway, does anyone know any other communities that are similar and closer in (but also with good schools)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
We were in Raleigh last year and loved The Preserve at Jordan Lake. We loved the community and the fact that you get to bring your own builder and could build whenever you want. The only problem was the location was too far, even considering the growth that might happen in the next 5 years in the area. We also researched some and found the schools in the area were not considered that good. Anyway, does anyone know any other communities that are similar and closer in (but also with good schools)?
You sure you'll actually be working _in_ Raleigh? If so, you might be right (though lots of professionals choose Chapel Hill as a place to live due to the schools). However, so many of the jobs are in Durham and RTP that the commute might be better than you think. Also, the commute from Durham/Chapel Hill to Raleigh is a 'reverse commute' with almost zero traffic tie-ups due to the smaller population (though personally, I still wouldn't want to do it each day.)

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,396 times
Why is the preserve area (Jordan Lake) still using the Chapel Hill address and zip code? Is there a possibility in the future that this area will be considered as Chapel Hill other than the current Pittsboro (Chatham County)?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM

30 posts, read 89,100 times
There are deals there. It's a nicely landscaped development.

However, it appears to be largely retirees there, you rarely see children playing there. That was a deal breaker for us.

Cell phone reception there is horrible.

Schools are spotty, from what I've read.

Taxes are relatively low.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,396 times
Kids at preserve jordan lakes go to North Chatham schools which have greatschools.net ranking of 7. Heritage elementary in Wake forest is ranked 8. Wake forest elementary is also ranked 8. Penny road elementary in Cary is ranked at 7.... How come North Chatham schools are considered as bad schools while Wake forest elementary is considered as one of the greatest schools in the area?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 54,584 times
I live in the same area as The Preserve.... I absolutely without hesitation would encourage you to live here. The commute to RTP is really not bad, the taxes as low and the neighbors are incredibly friendly. I no longer have school-aged children so I can not comment on the schools, sorry. I have not been here long but if you have questions, I may be able to help.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
Man, that's a tough golf course.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 2,978 times
We recently visited the Chapel Hill area and really liked The Preserve at Jordan Lake community. As we are planning to relocate into this area within a year, we are trying to gather as much information about The Preserve community as possible. We are two active retirees, so quality of schools is less important than quality of living, i.e. houses/construction, community, safety, proximity/commute to cultural events. We are especially seeking information from people who live or have lived in The Preserve. Thank you very much.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:09 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
what are the top 3 things you like about the community?

What size of house, and what budget are you looking at? Will you be building, or buying a resale?

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbogom View Post
We recently visited the Chapel Hill area and really liked The Preserve at Jordan Lake community. As we are planning to relocate into this area within a year, we are trying to gather as much information about The Preserve community as possible. We are two active retirees, so quality of schools is less important than quality of living, i.e. houses/construction, community, safety, proximity/commute to cultural events. We are especially seeking information from people who live or have lived in The Preserve. Thank you very much.
As a retiree in this area - and one who looked at The Preserve before we purchased in Brier Creek - I can't say it fits the "proximity/commute to cultural events" request. Or a proximity to much of anything else.

Gorgeous community. BUT far from what this woman defines as ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary